New ultrawide for high refresh

User Name

so I have a 60hz 34" 1440p ultrawide / 980TI GPU

I hear high refresh rate is all the rage these days and would like to give it a shot

I think I could sell my monitor on craigslist for like 300 bucks USD

I dont want to spend a ton so I am looking at one of these 2 

AOC - AG352UCG $800 new on amazon or Pixio PX347c -$479 referb ebay or Crossover 34U100 3440x1440 $500 new ebay

gsync would be nice but 300 bucks more.... or is it not even worth going high refresh with a 980TI? and just stick with my monitor...

mostly play pubg now 

1 minute ago, User Name said:

I hear high refresh rate is all the rage these days and would like to give it a shot

AOC - AG352UCG $800 new on amazon or Pixio PX347c -$479 referb ebay or Crossover 34U100 3440x1440 $500 new ebay

gsync would be nice but 300 bucks more.... or is it not even worth going high refresh with a 980TI? and just stick with my monitor...

mostly play pubg now 

With a 980ti at those resolutions, I don't think high refresh is an option for you. Especially when playing games like PUBG. If you want high refresh rates i would recommend an ultrawide 1080p panel.

Just now, c00lFD said:

With a 980ti at those resolutions, I don't think high refresh is an option for you. Especially when playing games like PUBG. If you want high refresh rates i would recommend an ultrawide 1080p panel.

great then I will stick with the setup I have, when I upgrade GPU some day then I will look into a new monitor

It depends on your frame rate in games, do you get above 100fps? if so, absolutely upgrade. If you want try dropping your res to 1080, see if you can get the frame rate to the same number as what your refresh rate would be

3 hours ago, User Name said:

mostly play pubg now 

I just got a brand new Pixio PX347c, and it is pretty decent. Coming from your 60Hz it is 100% an upgrade. If you are particular about motion blur(Doesn't seem like you are since you're on a 60Hz) then it probably isn't the monitor for you. I came from a 165Hz S2417DG, and i can tell it is a bit slower. However being ultrawide makes it worth it for me. Backlight bleed is extremely minimal since its VA. It has a much larger color pallet than my S2417DG (TN), and has noticeably less banding than my old S2417DG as well. There are some QC issues with it mainly being that it creaks when it is warming up. But i would attribute that to the plastic shifting due to heat. I'm not overly concerned about it because the monitor is mounted on a metal bracket underneath the plastic, so if there ends up being any plastic damage after a few years it'd be strictly cosmetic. The colors on the panel seem to be both vibrant, and accurate. On my S2417DG again, the TN, colors could be made vibrant through digital vibrance, but it lacked retaining it's accurate colors. Obviously facebooks color at the top would be wrong if i did that. However on the Pixio the colors maintain accuracy while other shades of the colors are able to be vibrant.

3 hours ago, c00lFD said:

Regarding the 980 Ti, you could certainly push 100FPS. Although you'd have to lower some graphics settings. I'm only on a 1080 which isn't that much better than a 980 Ti, and i can manage. If we circle back to PubG, that game is an awful comparison. The game isn't optimized, and runs like garbage for anyone. On my 1080 i play fortnite at 100% Ultra, and receive 80 FPS, on the GTX 980 Ti if you lowered the shadows i'm sure you'd cap 100FPS. So lowering that ONE setting would get you 40 more FPS. Another example is Mass Effect Andromeda at 100% Ultra. I get 80 FPS on my 1080 at 3440x1440. If the 980 Ti did away with shadows again i'm sure they'd be as high, or higher than the 1080. I haven't tried Destiny 2 yet, but if you lowered Depth of Field to low then i'm sure that would also cap 100 FPS on a 980 Ti.

Main PC: i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i V2 |  ASUS Prime Z370-A  | Corsair Carbide 540 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | 16GB G.Skill Flare X @ 3200Mhz | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W | Dell S2417DG

I think I am going to get the g sync aoc for 800 bucks just because the variable refresh thing would be awesome. I wish there were off brand g sync monitors