What do you wish you knew before delving into the PC world, that may have even made you feel stupid for not knowing?

ChetwoodJ96
4 minutes ago, ChetwoodJ96 said:

I think the PSU is the one thing that I, personally at least, could comfortably skimp on. Leave enough room for upgrades if you're wanting to do that down the road, but I don't think more would be better. That also depends on the budget though.

As long it has good electricial performance...

Literally there is no reason to skimp on it past a CX450/CX450M since they are like $30

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

4 minutes ago, ChetwoodJ96 said:

I think the PSU is the one thing that I, personally at least, could comfortably skimp on. Leave enough room for upgrades if you're wanting to do that down the road, but I don't think more would be better. That also depends on the budget though.

That is what i use to think. Get more rooms for upcoming hardware.

But after several years, no other slots is occupied other than the pcie 16x.

Dual GPU is meeh, never had money to buy one.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

My first "dumb person" mistake was installing a Voodoo2 driver, thinking it'd do something to the GPU in my crappy HP budget PC that didn't have a Voodoo2. In my defense, I found out how to get rid of it.

The other was thinking a Radeon 9200 was part of the R300 family and recommended that to someone who was on a budget over something that might've worked better.

To not listen to your friend that “knows what he’s talking about”

We all had that friend, that’s how I ended up with a shit 700w PSU for a locked i5 system with a 1060. And the 6600 when the 6500 is the same thing but cheaper. 

We all had that friend (I think)

That's an F in the profile pic

2 minutes ago, JDE said:

As long it has good electricial performance...

Literally there is no reason to skimp on it past a CX450/CX450M since they are like $30

I have a 650w PSU for a 429w system and I haven't felt like it's overkill yet. But given that I save money until a budget isn't a problem, I'll probably get one with a stupid capacity when I find a decently rated RGB PSU. Gotta have my rave colors.

Specific specifications:
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
MOBO:  Gigabyte Aorus Ax370-Gaming K7

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8)
STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD, Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD, 10x12 unit in a gated lot

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti 11GB
PSU: EVGA G2 650W Gold
CASE: Be Quiet! Pure Base 600
MOUSE: Razer Death Adder Overwatch Edition
KEYBOARD: YES
MONITOR: WIDESCREEN TELEVISION, BABY
WALLET: $3.50

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

don't just buy any monitor :$

I'm using my 32 inch TV because I haven't found one for a reasonable price that is good and aesthetically pleasing lmao

Specific specifications:

STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD, Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD, 10x12 unit in a gated lot

45 minutes ago, ChetwoodJ96 said:

I'm curious to see how alike, or how differently we all think about these kinds of things. Misconceptions that you wish were cleared up, or things that you found out on your own through good fortune or trial and error.

The biggest one I can think of for myself definitely has to do with power cords. I currently have 2 6+2 pin connectors into my 1080ti, and it took me about 30 minutes to figure out that was actually what I was supposed to do. I had thought that there were always going to be connectors made specifically for each connection setup, and I spent the majority of those 30 minutes looking in my PSU box looking for two solid 8 pin connectors. Also something I learned recently was that the extra cable coming out of said 6+2 pin, can be plugged into the second port and I don't even need the 2nd cable.

This makes me feel extremely stupid but it's been a few months, so I'm ready to talk about it and find out what made other people feel stupid.

That I would spend enough money on PC components that would allow me to buy a decent car. 

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

3 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

YOU DON'T NEED EVERY FAN SPOT OCCUPIED.

I've managed to make a Fractal Define R4  loud.

I wanna get a bunch of stupid RGB fans for my Be Quiet! Pure Base 600 but I'm worried that it'll get loud :(

Specific specifications:

The word "cache". I'm from Finland and the first time I had to pay attention to that word was when the IT person of my high school was telling me the address of our proxy server. The average Finnish pronounciation prowess didn't help either, I was completely baffled and couldn't figure out what he was saying. It wasn't a fun situation for either of us, he ended up having to type it himself (it wasn't like we were going to spend ten minutes figuring it out, he repeated it maybe three times and things needed to carry on). It's not even that peculiar word, at the very least I should have picked it up from the context, but I didn't.

At that age, the school is a place where you easily long for any and all approval from teachers and other faculty that are in any way related to the subjects you like. That really hurt my childish "yeah, I know this stuff" -ego. It'd be easy to solely blaim his pronounciation, but in retrospect I think it was just fine, I wasn't sharp enough. (At least I never forgot that address.)

#childhoodtrauma

Well... I did quite a bit of research, watching build guides, reading articles, and so forth.

One thing I wish I knew though...

If I remember correctly, I think I ran into needing a fan extension and my unaware newbie selfie somehow thought "What about this connector here going into the front I/O? Looks similar! *yank*" -_- It was the connector for the case lights around the i/o shield which are certainly nice/useful but no more after that. I felt so stupid after pulling it, I was like "Oh wait... this isn't... :/ Why did I think it would be? I need to think more and not just act... sigh :|" Still haven't managed to get that tiny freaking connector back in, even trying with tweezers and what not. Pain in the ass... Don't really need the lights anymore though, so whatever.

Also despite my all extensive research, would've loved to known that that some (if not all/most) power supplies have a switch on/off. I spent a few hours putting my system together just to set it up and get no response as I pressed the power button. Immediately I thought I fucked up and redid the front i/o connectors (power/reset) and when they didn't work I redid all the cables if I remember correctly once or twice over... :| Only after that I happen to notice the freaking switch. Argh.

7 minutes ago, RyanEsau said:

Well... I did quite a bit of research, watching build guides, reading articles, and so forth.

One thing I wish I knew though...

If I remember correctly, I think I ran into needing a fan extension and my unaware newbie selfie somehow thought "What about this connector here going into the front I/O? Looks similar! *yank*" -_- It was the connector for the case lights around the i/o shield which are certainly nice/useful but no more after that. I felt so stupid after pulling it, I was like "Oh wait... this isn't... :/ Why did I think it would be? I need to think more and not just act... sigh :|" Still haven't managed to get that tiny freaking connector back in, even trying with tweezers and what not. Pain in the ass... Don't really need the lights anymore though, so whatever.

Also despite my all extensive research, would've loved to known that that some (if not all/most) power supplies have a switch on/off. I spent a few hours putting my system together just to set it up and get no response as I pressed the power button. Immediately I thought I fucked up and redid the front i/o connectors (power/reset) and when they didn't work I redid all the cables if I remember correctly once or twice over... :| Only after that I happen to notice the freaking switch. Argh.

Why would you just "yank" on a wire that you don't know what it does? Also, you did all that research and didn't figure out the switch thing on PSUs?

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

playing games is so boring compare to pouring cold things on your pc till it goes really fast. all that time i wasted playing games. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Making sure the PSU switch is switched to the "on" position before pushing the power button... I literally took my PC apart & realized half way when I looked at the PSU switch it was in the "off" position... Those were not fun times man...

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz CL16 | GPU: XFX 6700XT 12GB | Case: Deepcool Matrexx 70 | Storage: XPG Gammix Gen3x4 M.2 (NVMe) 256GB - ADATA SU 740 SSD 500GB - T-FORCE Vulcan 2.5" SSD 500GB - Mushkin Enhanced Source 2.5" 500GB SSD - Gigabyte Aorus 2TB NVMe Gen 4  | PSU: Enermax Triathlor Semi-Modular ECO 800w 80 PLUS Bronze | Display: MSI Optix MAG27OVC 144Hz | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | OS: Windows 11 Home | Steam Deck 

PC Peripherals: 

Mouse: G502 Hero & Razer Basilisk HyperSpeed Wireless | Keyboard: Ducky One Mini 65% | Mousepad: Techsource Topo Black | DAC: Schitt Fulla 2 & SYBA USB DAC | Headset: Alienware AW510H & Astro A40 TR | Speakers: Logitech Z323 

Not wasting money on pre-builts, especially my first one which sucked as a gaming machine, even if I didn't game much in college.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

I wish I knew how important RGB lighting is to PC health

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

1. If your friend has done extensive research in something, it might be a good idea to trust them. My friend got worried when I said that I'd reboot his PS3 because he thought I'd break it.

2. Sometimes, cheap =/= low quality

3. Don't always trust people who talk trash about your hardware choices. You can run GTA 5 just fine with a GT 740.

4. Unless you do something really dumb, you aren't going to break your hardware. Just 2 years ago, I handled everything in my PC extremely gingerly because I thought even the slightest bump would make everything blow up and would cost hundreds of dollars to replace.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

9 hours ago, Mooshi said:

YOU DON'T NEED EVERY FAN SPOT OCCUPIED.

I've managed to make a Fractal Define R4  loud.

Unless you're me. There isn't a case I've built in where I've managed to occupy fan spots no matter where they were. They could be on the cable management side of the case and I'd find a way to make it work somehow lol. 

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

10 hours ago, JDE said:

gpus are more important than cpus for gaming

generally thats true, but it really does depend on what games you play.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

45 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

generally thats true, but it really does depend on what games you play.

minecraft at the time tbh

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

17 hours ago, NinJake said:

Don't flick the switch on PSU's to 230v if you're in the US.

i did the opposite once on accident, while it was on and facing my leg, sparks flew out and i lost a few hairs, fun times

Don’t follow the advice that certain hardware will perform at a consistent level across all games. A common phrase I always read online “A GTX 1070 and above is overkill for 1080p” “Waste of money”

Wrong. Not all categories of games are equal. I use a lot of flight simulators at 1080p ultra settings and, albeit with the expensive high quality aircraft, don’t pull in 60fps with my overclocked 1070 Ti. So basically, don’t listen to people who presume one GPU meets the needs for all games.