Big names pitch in support for OpenAI and Elon Musk leaves the board

ItsMitch

Open AI is a Non for Profit group who was founded by Elon Musk and Sam Altman in 2015 after Elon invested 1 billion dollars into the company to help develop AI and it's capabilities which can better aid humanity.

It has recently published a small report outlining that some big named people are now contributing towards the Open AI's future. In a blog they posted they came out with this

We’re excited to welcome the following new donors to OpenAI: Jed McCaleb, Gabe Newell, Michael Seibel, Jaan Tallinn, and Ashton Eatonand Brianne Theisen-Eaton. Reid Hoffman is significantly increasing his contribution. Pieter Abbeel (having completed his sabbatical with us), Julia Galef, and Maran Nelson are becoming advisors to OpenAI. Additionally, Elon Musk will depart the OpenAI Board but will continue to donate and advise the organization. As Tesla continues to become more focused on AI, this will eliminate a potential future conflict for Elon.

Yes, you aren't confusing him, that's Gabe Newell, big shot at Valve Corporation who has pledged his donations towards Open AI. Open AI has also said that Elon will be departing the board due to conflicts of interest (TESLA) however he will be contributing his assistance and financial support towards the project. 

We’re broadening our base of funders to prepare for the next phase of OpenAI, which will involve ramping up our investments in our people and the compute resources necessary to make consequential breakthroughs in artificial intelligence. OpenAI was founded a little over two years ago and since that time we’ve paired our research efforts with applied work to push the limits of what AI systems are capable of via our work in robotics and Dota. That’s going to continue, and in the coming months you can also expect us to articulate the principles with which we’ll be approaching the next phase of OpenAI, and the policy areas in which we wish to see changes to ensure AI benefits all of humanity.

Open AI has said it's still committed towards its research and it's AI systems, especially in DOTA 2 in which last year at the International it put it's OpenAI Bot against the world's best player at the time, Dendi live on stage.  They have also announced their new board members in a final paragraph.

The Board is now Greg Brockman, Ilya Sutskever, Holden Karnofsky, and Sam Altman. We will add another director soon, and plan over time to further expand the Board. If you’re interested in working with us on this mission, consider joining OpenAI.

Sauce: https://blog.openai.com/openai-supporters/

Ayy, just a couple more years till robots take over the world :P.

On a proper note, how has Open AI developed so far? It seems to have plenty of support with a decent amount of funding but I guess as it was able to beat a professional Dota player, decently well? 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

On a proper note, how has Open AI developed so far? It seems to have plenty of support with a decent amount of funding but I guess as it was able to beat a professional Dota player, decently well? 

On the dota side, all it does is just plays itself in private lobbies over and over again, finding ways to beat eachother and it learns it's mistakes like: dying = bad, killing = good, denying (killing) creeps = good, so it's learning faster than any other player. Here's a breakdown of some of it's acomplishments:  

• March 1st: had our first classical reinforcement learning results in a simple Dota environment, where a Drow Ranger learns to kite a hardcoded Earthshaker.
  • May 8th: 1.5k MMR tester says he’s been getting better faster than the bot.
  • Early June: beat 1.5k MMR tester
  • June 30th: winning most games against 3k MMR tester
  • July 8th: barely get first win against 7.5k MMR semi-pro tester.
  • August 7th: beat Blitz (6.2k former pro) 3-0, Pajkatt (8.5k pro) 2-1, and CC&C (8.9k pro) 3-0. All agreed that Sumail would figure out how to beat it.
  • August 9th: beat Arteezy (10k pro, top player) 10-0. He says Sumail could figure out this bot.
  • August 10th: beat Sumail (8.3k pro, top 1v1 player) 6-0, who says it’s unbeatable. Plays the Aug 9th bot, where he goes 2-1.
  • August 11th: beat Dendi (7.3k pro, former world champion, old-school crowd favorite) 2-0. Bot has 60% win rate versus August 10th bot.

It's learning slowly but hey, maybe we see a team of Open AI Bots vs Team Liquid. 

Here's a video of it. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ayy, just a couple more years till robots take over the world :P.

I think it got really far, due to how the AI beat the player. the AI was only able to see the screen input (video feed) and use the keyboard and mouse. It had no API access, unlike something like MarI/O.

OpenAI can be used on any PC application/game.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Gabe Newell?

so that's where the funds to develop half life 3 went...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, SC2Mitch said:

On the dota side, all it does is just plays itself in private lobbies over and over again, finding ways to beat eachother and it learns it's mistakes like: dying = bad, killing = good, denying (killing) creeps = good, so it's learning faster than any other player. Here's a breakdown of some of it's acomplishments:  

• March 1st: had our first classical reinforcement learning results in a simple Dota environment, where a Drow Ranger learns to kite a hardcoded Earthshaker.
  • May 8th: 1.5k MMR tester says he’s been getting better faster than the bot.
  • Early June: beat 1.5k MMR tester
  • June 30th: winning most games against 3k MMR tester
  • July 8th: barely get first win against 7.5k MMR semi-pro tester.
  • August 7th: beat Blitz (6.2k former pro) 3-0, Pajkatt (8.5k pro) 2-1, and CC&C (8.9k pro) 3-0. All agreed that Sumail would figure out how to beat it.
  • August 9th: beat Arteezy (10k pro, top player) 10-0. He says Sumail could figure out this bot.
  • August 10th: beat Sumail (8.3k pro, top 1v1 player) 6-0, who says it’s unbeatable. Plays the Aug 9th bot, where he goes 2-1.
  • August 11th: beat Dendi (7.3k pro, former world champion, old-school crowd favorite) 2-0. Bot has 60% win rate versus August 10th bot.

It's learning slowly but hey, maybe we see a team of Open AI Bots vs Team Liquid. 

Here's a video of it. 

I remember this video. It was very weird to watch to say the least.  

Damn..... Now that's sweet!

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Looking forward to something as complex as starcraft starting to get botted.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

1 minute ago, bob51zhang said:

Starcraft does have some bots but nowhere near as powerful as OpenAI

I am waiting for the war, when a major tech YouTuber asks that AI to order them a coffee, and it replies " I'm afraid I cannot do that".

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

15 hours ago, bob51zhang said:

Yeah SC is way more complex and interesting. 

14 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Starcraft does have some bots but nowhere near as powerful as OpenAI

Wasn't it DeepMind like this though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Wasn't it DeepMind like this though. 

Google, facebook, and big ai companies had a competition.

Random teams of amateurs beat the big companies.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

25 minutes ago, Asche said:

Gabe ? Maybe he want OpenAI to make HL3 xD !

there will be only one enemy in HL3 and it will be Open AI

On 2/21/2018 at 1:42 PM, SC2Mitch said:

snip

Are these bot fights limited in any way? I think a few things I read on it was that the champs were limited as well as items and it's only 1v1 instead of 5v5 which would reduce the complexity for the AI.

I'd love to see a 5v5 game with Ai vs pro team with all items and champs if those limits I mentioned do currently exist. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Just now, Bensemus said:

Are these bot fights limited in any way? I think a few things I read on it was that the champs were limited as well as items and it's only 1v1 instead of 5v5 which would reduce the complexity for the AI.

I'd love to see a 5v5 game with Ai vs pro team with all items and champs if those limits I mentioned do currently exist. 

Very limited, the processing power for 1v1 bot vs bot is insane, physical GPU for a single bot must cripple the damn thing for the calculations it needs to work every second. Think that you'll need 5 GPU's in a dedicated server and a computer that won't completely crash due to the strain.

Infrastructure

We’re not ready to talk about agent internals — the team is focused on solving 5v5 first.

The first step in the project was figuring out how to run Dota 2 in the cloud on a physical GPU. The game gave an obscure error message on GPU cloud instances. But when starting it on Greg’s personal GPU desktop (which is the desktop brought onstage during the show), we noticed that Dota booted when the monitor was plugged in, but gave the same error message when unplugged. So we configured our cloud GPU instances to pretend there was a physical monitor attached.

Dota didn’t support custom dedicated servers at the time, meaning that running scalably and without a GPU was possible only with very slow software rendering. We then created a shim to stub out most OpenGL calls, except the ones needed to boot.

At the same time, we wrote a scripted bot — we needed a baseline for comparison (especially because the builtin bots don’t work well on 1v1) and to understand all the semantics of the bot API. The scripted bot reaches 70 last hits in ten minutes on an empty lane, but still loses to reasonable humans. Our current best 1v1 bot reaches more like 97 (it destroys the tower before then, so we can only extrapolate), and the theoretical maximum is 101.