Noctua ND-D15 vs H115i v.2

gibattack07

I cut straight to the point...

I have an i7 8700k.I need a cooler to cool my CPU for gaming applications.I don't have plans to overclock it more than the default Turbo frequencies(4.7 GHz is plenty, I think).I don't want to toast my CPU. :( 

the corsair will probably cool it a little better it will also be louder.

3 minutes ago, gibattack07 said:

I cut straight to the point...

I have an i7 8700k.I need a cooler to cool my CPU for gaming applications.I don't have plans to overclock it more than the default Turbo frequencies(4.7 GHz is plenty, I think).I don't want to toast my CPU. :( 

The Noctua will be quieter and perform about the same

http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/2

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, gibattack07 said:

But the tested CPU is an i7 4790k....and I have the 8700k.

The coolers heat dissipation doesnt change. Thermally, neither will suddenly spike in temperature (The h100i v2 wouldn't suddenly become significantly worse just because the 8700k was used for example)

I apologize that I cant find any data specifically using the 8700k comparing the two, but the point being is that they're very comparable with some minor tradeoffs

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

The coolers heat dissipation doesnt change. Thermally, neither will suddenly spike in temperature (The h100i v2 wouldn't suddenly become significantly worse just because the 8700k was used for example)

I apologize that I cant find any data specifically using the 8700k comparing the two, but the point being is that they're very comparable with some minor tradeoffs

I can't find myself any data too either...I guess I should choose the liquid cooler :/ just to be sure.

I actually have a ND-D15 and for some reason it performs worse than a NH-U12S? So I won't really recommend the ND-D15. I guess it depends on how much airflow you'll have in your case (if it's cramped then eh, good luck).

with the ND-D15 temps would go up to 50/60C idle on my 1800x after overclocking, while the NH-U12S kept them at 40. So yeah, maybe it's just me, but forget about the ND-D15, I don't recommend it. I ended up going back to the NH-U12S and now have a 90e cooler sitting on a shelf.

edit: if you do some research you'll see some people have the same issue I did, with the ND-D15 really underperforming. 

5 minutes ago, The Viking said:

I actually have a ND-D15 and for some reason it performs worse than a NH-U12S? So I won't really recommend the ND-D15. I guess it depends on how much airflow you'll have in your case (if it's cramped then eh, good luck).

with the ND-D15 temps would go up to 50/60C idle on my 1800x after overclocking, while the NH-U12S kept them at 40. So yeah, maybe it's just me, but forget about the ND-D15, I don't recommend it. I ended up going back to the NH-U12S and now have a 90e cooler sitting on a shelf.

edit: if you do some research you'll see some people have the same issue I did, with the ND-D15 really underperforming. 

I have actually noticed the same thing...

yeah I read lots of reviews glorifying the ND-D15 and sure, its HUGE, to the point I nearly couldn't fit the cooler for my liquid cooled rx vega. But for 90e?? I don't understand what went wrong with that model from noctua, or why some people have massive cooling benefits while others like me just had worse cooling performance. And 50C idle is just..... under load it would go up to 80C and keep rising till I stopped stresstesting the cpu. 

So no, screw the ND-D15. Watercooling may be a better option by a long shot.

1 minute ago, The Viking said:

yeah I read lots of reviews glorifying the ND-D15 and sure, its HUGE, to the point I nearly couldn't fit the cooler for my liquid cooled rx vega. But for 90e?? I don't understand what went wrong with that model from noctua, or why some people have massive cooling benefits while others like me just had worse cooling performance. And 50C idle is just..... under load it would go up to 80C and keep rising till I stopped stresstesting the cpu. 

So no, screw the ND-D15. Watercooling may be a better option by a long shot.

We might have the same opinion... :/

I just can't watercool my cpu, no space :D 

H115i v.2 it is then ;) 

i have the feeling one of my friends has that one on his 8700k but I could be mistaken. unless it's the brand that the guy from.... science studio? uses all the time, deepcool. Was it deepcool? captain something. Oh, maybe it was that one that he uses on his 8700k.

1 minute ago, The Viking said:

I just can't watercool my cpu, no space :D 

H115i v.2 it is then ;) 

i have the feeling one of my friends has that one on his 8700k but I could be mistaken. unless it's the brand that the guy from.... science studio? uses all the time, deepcool. Was it deepcool? captain something. Oh, maybe it was that one that he uses on his 8700k.

Yep it's called Captain 240 EX.Though I think he's using a Ryzen CPU.

7 hours ago, gibattack07 said:

But the tested CPU is an i7 4790k....and I have the 8700k.

It's effectively the same socket for mounting so comparisons for cooler performance should be the same. 

If you're not aiming or a particularly high oc. Either of these coolers would be overkill. 

Where are you shopping/located? What ram and case are you using?

7 hours ago, The Viking said:

Sounds like the cooler wasn't mounted correctly. Idle temps don't really matter. Look at load instead. 

The NH-D15 should be the better performer when properly installed. 

http://www.funkykit.com/reviews/cooling/noctua-nh-d15-se-am4-cooler-review/4/

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Noctua/NH-D15/6.html

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's effectively the same socket for mounting so comparisons for cooler performance should be the same. 

If you're not aiming or a particularly high oc. Either of these coolers would be overkill. 

Where are you shopping/located? What ram and case are you using?

Sounds like the cooler wasn't mounted correctly. Idle temps don't really matter. Look at load instead. 

I'm shopping on amazon.de and amazon.uk.I'm gonna use TridentZ ram,2 sticks on 3200mhz.So because I won't overclock my CPU should I aim for an Noctua or a Dark Rock Pro 3?Would that be efficient enough so my 8700k won't turn to charcoal?

5 minutes ago, gibattack07 said:

I'm shopping on amazon.de and amazon.uk.I'm gonna use TridentZ ram,2 sticks on 3200mhz.So because I won't overclock my CPU should I aim for an Noctua or a Dark Rock Pro 3?Would that be efficient enough so my 8700k won't turn to charcoal?

An Intel stock cooler would suit your needs.

2 minutes ago, JabroniBaloney said:

An Intel stock cooler would suit your needs.

I don't think so,dude...The 8700k has a 96W TDP! The stock Intel cooler can not efficiently cool it. :/ 

Just now, gibattack07 said:

I don't think so,dude...The 8700k has a 96W TDP! The stock Intel cooler can not efficiently cool it. :/ 

Great. Evo 212 then. 

If you really want to lower temps, try delidding the CPU and replacing the stock thermal compound with something better. I have an 8700k that's been delidded and temps look great at 5.0 GHz on both air and water in my own testing.

If you can't do it yourself, there's services out there which will do it for you for a fee, e.g. Silicon Lottery.

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

nah it was mounted properly. Even mounted it twice changing to a different thermal paste, same issues. I feel it's an issue of airflow, so if you don't have much space in your case then don't bother with D15.

9 hours ago, The Viking said:

nah it was mounted properly. Even mounted it twice changing to a different thermal paste, same issues. I feel it's an issue of airflow, so if you don't have much space in your case then don't bother with D15.

That's strange. What are your specs?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1800x@3.7ghz, 64gb ram, watercooled rx vega 64 that would sit right on top of the cpu cooler (so already an issue there), and right in front of the air in I have a cd reader+3 HDDs & all the cables... so probably airflow issues.