Are Review Sample CPUs Cherry-Picked? $H!T Viewers Say 1

Engineering samples sent to reviewers perform better than what hits retail shelves, right? Today, we're going to find out...

See the uncut footage for yourself:

Buy a Core i5 8400:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/8Ew3czA
On Newegg: http://geni.us/LIQPO

Buy a Ryzen 5 1600X:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/jbSYp
On Newegg: http://geni.us/rAXruOt

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Gotta remember to get popcorn on the way home to read youtube comments.

Duh, you went to a computer store that KNEW you so they sold ANOTHER cherry picked processor to match your current cherry picked processors. And don't say they didn't know you, they were just playing along because they are obviously actors.

Where is the 4k version of the 2 hour video of you buying a processor? Are you expecting us to watch this in 1080p like some sort of medieval peasant?

Haha when you said Jerry I thought straight to Barnacules. 

I'm calling the 2+ hour video fake, because they could have switched it prior to getting there plus the censorship of the phone number could have been about something else including exchanging money xD

I trust them, I'm joking. Also damn this font is small...

Damn it Linus now I want to play NMS again... That 4 legged T-Rex bipedal... 

image.thumb.png.d5485ab06051e019a99e508196ebb07f.png

We need a video of the guy taking the video to prove that the guy taking video was actually taking the video and that it is indeed an undoctored legit video.

16 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

In the proof video is a old pc case visable.

One more sleeper pc with built in keyboard?

Asking the real questions....

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

ok but like what if the store saw that LTT was buying stuff and made sure to sell you the good ones??? @LinusTech is busted!

Showing unlocked processor would've made more sense than this.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Kingston SSDs #neverforget #aholes

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

31 minutes ago, kameshss said:

provided the original review looked at the locked results, i dont see the issue.

15 minutes ago, davo1111 said:

provided the original review looked at the locked results, i dont see the issue.

true. but, what if they only cared about high end stuff. this is LTT. Linus always (mostly) care about unlocked CPUs. So, there is a reason for Intel.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

I'd still be wiling to bet that at least on the Intel side the review samples are hand screened.  Believe me it's trivially easy to pick material that won't suck since Intel is already doing this in deciding what becomes a i7 desktop chip vs. a laptop part (lower leakage material also tends to clock lower, which works great for laptops but shit for desktops).   (shrugs) send me serial numbers I'll debunk this shit the proper way.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

What is the point of this video?

SURELY a media outlet like LMG will say publicly that their golden gooses (company that gives them free stuff for """"review purposes"""") give them "special" free stuff...

If you have even an ounce of brain you'd know that Linus is not stupid and would never disclose such an information (that would hinder his relationship with big companies that give him free expensive stuff daily) publicly. Money comes first, and LMG needs to make money. So don't believe anything you hear, remember that every single word from this channel is scripted, proofread, and approved by companies before publishing.

Considering the average user here, let me make it simpler to you.

Let's pretend I am Linus. I receive daily free stuff from major companies for "unbiased" review purposes.

I make money thanks to this free stuff that the companies send me, I pay the bills and I feed my family.

How much and what stuff do I have to smoke to even THINK of a video to answer a bunch of guys in the crowds of MILLIONS of my followers that dare to say "review samples are cherry picked?" - WHY would I go to such trouble as to say that my DEAR companies that give me products valued THOUSANDS (Intel especially) are in fact giving me SPECIAL cherry-picked products for review purposes. Even if they did, I, a businessman and CEO of a media corporate, would probably SHUT UP about it for the sole reason that were I ever to say anything about it my income of free stuff (and my relationship with said company) would probably be interrupted immediately.

If you still don't understand, then you're brain dead. A CEO of a company simply doesn't say stuff like this. It's against logic and business sense.

49 minutes ago, randumfan123 said:

SURELY a media outlet like LMG will say publicly that their golden gooses (company that gives them free stuff for """"review purposes"""") give them "special" free stuff...

If you have even an ounce of brain you'd know that Linus is not stupid and would never disclose such an information (that would hinder his relationship with big companies that give him free expensive stuff daily) publicly. Money comes first, and LMG needs to make money. So don't believe anything you hear, remember that every single word from this channel is scripted, proofread, and approved by companies before publishing.

Let's pretend I am Linus. I receive daily free stuff from major companies for "unbiased" review purposes.

I make money thanks to this free stuff that the companies send me, I pay the bills and I feed my family.

How much and what stuff do I have to smoke to even THINK of a video to answer a bunch of guys in the crowds of MILLIONS of my followers that dare to say "review samples are cherry picked?" - WHY would I go to such trouble as to say that my DEAR companies that give me products valued THOUSANDS (Intel especially) are in fact giving me SPECIAL cherry-picked products for review purposes. Even if they did, I, a businessman and CEO of a media corporate, would probably SHUT UP about it for the sole reason that were I ever to say anything about it my income of free stuff (and my relationship with said company) would probably be interrupted immediately.

If you still don't understand, then you're brain dead. A CEO of a company simply doesn't say stuff like this. It's against logic and business sense.

Sorry, what? Linus' isn't disparaging any companies. Linus' business hinges on people watching his videos, which relies on having topics that people are interested in. If Intel stops sending him free processors, that doesn't have a large effect on his business. If people stop watching his videos, that has a huge effect on his business. The point of the video is to provide an interesting and entertaining video to viewers to make money. 

In my life I have a) been a CEO of a company

From the CEO point of view, Linus can say what he wants about Intel and more than likely they'll keep sending him products because his videos help their sales. If they stop sending Linus samples, they run the risk of losing a lot of marketing and therefore sales. If Intel stop sending Linus samples, he can simply buy CPUs with a negligible effect on his bottom line. Intel need Linus a lot more than Linus needs intel. In fact by disclosing the behind the scenes information to the audience, trust is built between Linus and the viewers which makes him even more valuable to Intel. 

and b) received engineering samples from Intel for a Youtube video.

There are very little to no preconditions on receiving a CPU - I asked Intel's rep, they asked what the video concept was and then sent me the CPU and told me when they wanted it back (was a 3 month window iirc). I never made the video and sent it back after a couple of weeks - they really don't care what reviewers do with the sample so long as they like the idea of the video. The only time I've let a brand "interfere" with my content was one monitor manufacturer wanted to use my video on their product page so they asked if I terribly wouldn't mind, could I bleep out a swear word. I ran a tiny YouTube channel that I was just doing to keep myself amused in the morning and no manufacturer ever tried to influence content in anyway- no way they'd pull that shit with a channel as large as LTT (sponsorships excepted of course, but even then...).

53 minutes ago, randumfan123 said:

Oh hey, congrats on helping with a video! Without your sh*t it wouldn't have been possible:) 

Please say something more to help with the episode 2!

oooooooooooooooooofffffffff

NCIX is dead

they had terrible service tbh so i don't really care that much, always shopped at memory express

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Ok they may not give you any extreme outliers that preform dramatically better. But surely they validate the samples they send out and I bet they simply withhold samples that aren't on the positive side of the bell curve.

• 1 month later...

Just watched this video, isn't the sample size for this type of testing far too small? There is the possibility you lucked out when you bought a random chip from the store.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

3 minutes ago, MyInnerFred said:

Just watched this video, isn't the sample size for this type of testing far too small? There is the possibility you lucked out when you bought a random chip from the store.

Yeah, you could make that argument.

But the idea of special CPUs beyond luck of the draw (which at the end of the day is a pretty small amount of variation in such a precise and controlled manufacturing process) was pretty ridiculous in the first place.

5 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Yeah, you could make that argument.

But the idea of special CPUs beyond luck of the draw (which at the end of the day is a pretty small amount of variation in such a precise and controlled manufacturing process) was pretty ridiculous in the first place.

Thanks for responding, I had also around the same time watched another video by another youtuber which I won't post here talking about the possibility of cherry picked engineering samples within the top twenty percentile being picked for reviewers/press so I was curious about the discrepancy. 

Regardless I do appreciate the effort you guys at LMG put into these videos.

Thanks

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

On 2/21/2018 at 7:47 PM, kameshss said:

Yeah, if anything was cherrypicked, it would be an unlocked one.

On a similar note, I bought two 980's a few weeks ago.  They were FE's.  One of them wouldn't overclock a bit, while the other does quite well.  If I was going to send something out to reviewers, I would absolutely test to make sure it wasn't a dud in overclocking.  I wouldn't even consider that immoral.  You don't send the worst of the worst to be reviewed.  It's not cherry picking, just due diligence. Motherboard manufacturers wouldn't send a DOA motherboard either, even though customers get them all the time.

PS: I don't know if motherboard manufacturers actually send out samples, that was just an example.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440