Blu ray audio output to two sets of surround headphones??

Jaqen
Go to solution Solved by Blasteque,
5 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Sound quality is the name of the game. Surround not so important. Is there a path forward with stereo in mind? 

If you're content with stereo, then it's not that big of a deal.  You can get either a 2 channel headphone amp or split the output and get separate amps.

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/headphone-amplifiers/3445

There were discreet surround sound headphones out there in the $200 range; I don't know if any are still being made (turtlebeach made one and so did zalman).  They don't sound too bad for what they are (4 drivers in 1 enclosure), but they're a bit of a hassle to use outside of a PC due to needing discrete channel outputs.

You can also try using small speakers set very close to your listening space - like right next to where you and your wife sit.  When I'm watching a movie with someone, I just don't want to be wearing headphones; it impairs casual conversation.

Hey guys, have a specific question in the title but would welcome any suggestions generally about my proposed set up. 

My my wife and I have a connundrum... we want to watch 4K blu rays on our new LG OLED55B7V tv but we have a small child and live in a small house where sound travels. We want to enjoy the sound as well as the picture and so had a theory that if the tech is available to split the audio from our blu ray player to two sets of surround headphones we could enjoy the sound quality without waking up the little one. 

Have no idea what brand of headphones or what splitters would be needed to maintain high quality sound to both sets,

any relevant advice or suggestions greatly appreciated!

MY RIG- I call it the millennium falcon “she doesn’t look like much but she’s got it where it counts kid”

CoolerMaster HAFX, ASUS Maximus Ranger vii, Intel i-5 4690k @4.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, Reference GTX1080, 480GB SSD, Corsair RM850W. . Cooling- Corsair H60 w Noctua NF-F12, EK DBay res/pump combo, EK-FC1080FE block, 360mm radiator, 3x Noctua industrial 2000rpm fans. . Displays- LGOLED55B7V, ACER KG241. Peripherals- Corsair M65, Roccat RYOS MK-PRO, Logitech G633, Logitech G920

14 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

to two sets of surround headphones

You are in a world of pain with that plan I guess. To the best of my knowledge that will not be possible without a dedicated DAC/AMP for a lot of money.

Stuff like this exists though:

http://www.project-audio.com/inhalt/de/pdf/headboxse.pdf

Sure you need surround? Just to say it: There literally is no good surround headphone under 1000€ on the marked. they all suck compared to a similar priced stereo headphone. (yep thats totally my mind about it after having a ton of headphones on my head that claimed to do surround well. secret: they don't, not even close.)

17 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

You are in a world of pain with that plan I guess. To the best of my knowledge that will not be possible without a dedicated DAC/AMP for a lot of money.

Sure you need surround? Just to say it: There literally is no good surround headphone under 1000€ on the marked. they all suck compared to a similar priced stereo headphone. (yep thats totally my mind about it after having a ton of headphones on my head that claimed to do surround well. secret: they don't, not even close.)

I don't know of any 'Surround Headphone' in the 1k€ range. Mind showing me one? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

4 hours ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

Sound quality is the name of the game. Surround not so important. Is there a path forward with stereo in mind? 

MY RIG- I call it the millennium falcon “she doesn’t look like much but she’s got it where it counts kid”

CoolerMaster HAFX, ASUS Maximus Ranger vii, Intel i-5 4690k @4.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, Reference GTX1080, 480GB SSD, Corsair RM850W. . Cooling- Corsair H60 w Noctua NF-F12, EK DBay res/pump combo, EK-FC1080FE block, 360mm radiator, 3x Noctua industrial 2000rpm fans. . Displays- LGOLED55B7V, ACER KG241. Peripherals- Corsair M65, Roccat RYOS MK-PRO, Logitech G633, Logitech G920

5 hours ago, Jaqen said:

If you're content with stereo, then it's not that big of a deal.  You can get either a 2 channel headphone amp or split the output and get separate amps.

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/headphone-amplifiers/3445

There were discreet surround sound headphones out there in the $200 range; I don't know if any are still being made (turtlebeach made one and so did zalman).  They don't sound too bad for what they are (4 drivers in 1 enclosure), but they're a bit of a hassle to use outside of a PC due to needing discrete channel outputs.

You can also try using small speakers set very close to your listening space - like right next to where you and your wife sit.  When I'm watching a movie with someone, I just don't want to be wearing headphones; it impairs casual conversation.