Is my setup decent for Mining Crypto?

As per title, seeing as both of my computers are offline for most of the day I might as well put them to use in my spare time and let them mine some cryptos. Specs are in my signature, but to sum them up it would be like this:

Main rig: i7 8700k 5ghz + Strix 1080ti OC  - This machine can mine for around 14 hours a day, then I would have to stop it so I can use it.

Secondary: i5 4570 3.6ghz + EVGA 970 FTW+ 4GB OC - This can be mining 24/7 as I really don't use it much, all it has to do is run 2 other VMs for file storage and VPN and I think it can manage that fine.

Not sure what the electricity cost is exactly in my area but it's not expensive from what I've noticed, will double check numbers tonight.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

9 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

Not sure what the electricity cost is exactly in my area but it's not expensive from what I've noticed, will double check numbers tonight.

Do check that because if it's not cheap you are just gonna lose money. 

Your setup is decent, but do not expect any big money. You may be able to earn a coffee a day...

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

1 minute ago, Eibe said:

Do check that because if it's not cheap you are just gonna lose money. 

Your setup is decent, but do not expect any big money. You may be able to earn a coffee a day...

Yeah will do, and yeah that's fine I am not in it to win the big bucks, I am far too late for that unfortunately and also I do not posses 50x RX580s ;)

A coffee a day is better than no coffee a day :)

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Sounds similar to part of my setup. I'm running a 1080 Ti in my main system, and it mines if I'm not using it. I've put mine on Ethereum and get 32MH/s at factory OC. I don't tune it for mining as I'm too lazy to switch over when gaming. I also had a 970 but don't run that currently. It seemed to be ok on zcash in the past. My electricity is 12p/unit from a national supplier. Do check and switch for better rates if applicable. At the time I worked it out that was profitable, and ethereum has gone up since then. I don't actually know what my profit is though, other than there is one, in that mining income is greater than total house electricity cost (including non-mining) by a fair margin. Debating part cashing out to cover existing running costs but that is something else to look into. Until then, the value I accumulated isn't directly accessible.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

If you're using the right algorithm you don't have to stop mining to use the PC.  You only really need to stop when you want to game.

I don't even notice the mining while browsing or doing office work, when watching HD videos there can be a slight bit of stuttering but IMO it's not enough to get really annoying. 

I run the Equihash algorithm on Nicehash on my own 1080Ti (MSI Gaming X), so if you prefer to mine directly be sure to look at Zcash first.  On other algorithms I did notice a severe general slowdown and higher temps.  To me that wasn't worth the potential $0.05 - $0.1 extra revenue per day.

13 hours ago, porina said:

Debating part cashing out to cover existing running costs but that is something else to look into. Until then, the value I accumulated isn't directly accessible.

Oh that's easy enough.  Spendabit can help you find stores that accept Bitcoin (usually those use Bitpay as middle man) for a lot of things.  PC parts, bicycles, appliances, clothing etc.  Gold too, but I'm a bit weary of that.  If you can convert your Eth/Zcash to BTC, you can use BTC to buy stuff at those stores.  

If you use your crypto to buy stuff that you otherwise would have bought with fiat, it's the same as cashing out really. 

All the parts I bought this winter to upgrade my PC and laptop were paid that way, had absolutely zero issues once I figured out which wallet to use.  (For some reason I couldn't pay using my Trezor, I ended up making an Electrum wallet on my laptop)

6 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

usually those use Bitpay as middle man

I already have a computer parts store I use that takes via bitpay, but my current holding is mostly eth, and I'd need to convert it to one of the bitcoins first. So I'd need a good exchange.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah you should do fine if your electricity prices allow it

Used to be everywhere in LTT forums, had a break which lasted apparently 1 year LOL. 

Gonna get up againnnn.

Wake me up if I sleep again like Oppy. 

On 21/02/2018 at 3:05 PM, porina said:

I've put mine on Ethereum and get 32MH/s at factory OC.

I would suggest mining zcash , because that is where 1080ti shines. A rx580 or a 1070 gets the same hashrate as your 1080ti in ethereum, so your profit is smaller. On zcash you should get around 2x more profit per day.

14 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

I would suggest mining zcash , because that is where 1080ti shines. A rx580 or a 1070 gets the same hashrate as your 1080ti in ethereum, so your profit is smaller. On zcash you should get around 2x more profit per day.

My short term goal was to accumulate ethereum, not maximum income. I will consider this for future activity.

47 minutes ago, porina said:

My short term goal was to accumulate ethereum, not maximum income. I will consider this for future activity.

I mine ethereum too on a 1070, because i hope that it will become the new bitcion(bitcoin is built on ancient protocols on this point),

Ethereum is more likely for huge gains than zcash, but if you sell as you mine then you gain much more.