What part/peripheral do you regret buying the most?

Gandek

Buying 4x1gb ddr2.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

On 2/20/2018 at 10:26 PM, Syntaxvgm said:

The G710+. 

I own a fuck ton of mech keyboards including cheapo ones, and this one's my least favorite...it's just...mush. 

I just got an G710+ off of ebay as an upgrade from my previous keyboard. while I do enjoy it, it is not worth the $100 price tag it has on it right now. I got my refurbished for $50 and would recommend it to anyone that wants an advanced keyboard that isn't too pricey. But if you dont need macros it is definitely not worth it. 

Just now, Howitz said:

1T ssd... useless

why do you say that just because it was too much space?

because I dont have an ssd yet and my computer takes 3x the time to load up

4 minutes ago, Weavetrain said:

why do you say that just because it was too much space?

because I dont have an ssd yet and my computer takes 3x the time to load up

Because i would have saved 250$ at least by getting a 128gb ssd for the system and a 1tb hdd for game library. Hence the regret

1 minute ago, Howitz said:

Because i would have saved 250$ at least by getting a 128gb ssd for the system and a 1tb hdd for game library. Hence the regret

alright when you look at the prices that makes a lot of sense

On 2/20/2018 at 8:16 PM, mrchow19910319 said:

ok this might stir some shit up but.... ryzen 3 1200....

sure when you pair it with a high speed overclocked ram it is "fine" but just think about this:

intel high performane CPU + any ram at any speed. one stick is enough

amd low end CPU + expensive ram. 2 of them

which one makes more sense? 

you always regret getting the lower end parts... you always do.

also a razer deathadder.  

Dell P2416D. 1440p display, sure. but the viewing angel and everything feels like meh. compares to my old S2340L.

Currently using a broken razer death adder and a ryzen 3 1200 with a single stick of ram here.

It...definitely was not an upgrade from my fx 8350 build.

Just now, Mail me to the Moon said:

Currently using a broken razer death adder and a ryzen 3 1200 with a single stick of ram here.

It...definitely was not an upgrade from my fx 8350 build.

yeah... tell me about it. 

for me it went from : "yeah its not like i am going to play games that often... i may as well buy a entry level PC " to "holy fuck this is kind of annoying and it turns out I spent a huge amount of time in front of my PC, so lets get some high end part and make it last for years".

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

BTW any dongle I get for my MacBook - all mostly 3rd party and suck, then they cost like $50 :( 

Hardly use them now but wow they are a rip off. 

mine was the MSI Intel Skylake H110 LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 Micro ATX Motherboard. I got it and ended up upgrading to a GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 like a month or two later so now it is sitting in my closest

3 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

yeah... tell me about it. 

for me it went from : "yeah its not like i am going to play games that often... i may as well buy a entry level PC " to "holy fuck this is kind of annoying and it turns out I spent a huge amount of time in front of my PC, so lets get some high end part and make it last for years".

Hah. Exactly.

I'm still trying to figure out odd performance issues and the like as well. I miss windows 7

58 minutes ago, Mail me to the Moon said:

Hah. Exactly.

I'm still trying to figure out odd performance issues and the like as well. I miss windows 7

windows 10 is whacky too... 

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

BTW any dongle I get for my MacBook - all mostly 3rd party and suck, then they cost like $50 :( 

Hardly use them now but wow they are a rip off. 

then get apple one? 

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

windows 10 is whacky too... 

That's what I'm saying dude! I swear every new version gets closer and closer to running like a linux distro. Gotta spend several hours troubleshooting the most inane things.

22 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

then get apple one? 

Can't seem to find them where I live unfortunately. 

A func ms-3 mouse, size large. I fell in love with it, and by the time it failed Func was defunct. It broke my heart.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I have to pick just one? I'll give you a list:

Logitech G600 in white, it looked cool and had a button for the ring finger but then I never played MMO games.

ASUS 15" USB portable monitor, I wanted an extra screen for work but this only worked over USB and it was kinda meh. Replaced it recently with 2x packed pixels, I used it maybe twice.

Wacom tablet - I thought I could draw. I couldn't. 

3D Connexion space navigator. I thought I could 3D model. I couldn't. But I did use it to fly around in Google earth a couple of times.

Logitech trackball, the blue one whose name I don't remember. I saw people gaming with a trackball and saying it was awesome. I tried it, it wasn't. Useful to use on a plane though, all of the two times a year you're on one of those. 

I regret the ASUS monitor the most though. WTF even is displaylink tho, even makes youtube lag. 

They see me floatin', they hatin'... patrolling they tryin' to catch me flyin' economy

Another thing I regret: the 8400gs I got with my pc. Granted, I immediately took it out and crammed a 9800gt in there and then pawned the 8400gs off a friend, it was still a pointless card to have.

CPU: AMD FX 4170 @ 4.7ghz Motherboard: Asus M5A97-R2.0 RAM: 11GB DDR3-1600 GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 780ti 3GB Reference Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout Storage: 1x 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 1x 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 1x 500gb Hitachi 7200RPM  PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W Display: Dell U2410 (1920x1200 @ 60hz, 24") Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, 3x 140mm Cooler Master fan Keyboard: Lenovo OEM keyboard (membrane) Mouse: Redragon Centrophorus Sound: Sound Blaster xFi sound card & Marley Good Vibrations headphones Operating System: Windows 10 1809

Toss up between my CX750s massive tangle of cables that I wouldn't have to deal with if I had just spent $3 more on the semi modular version and my H60i. It's a single rad. It sucks.

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

40 minutes ago, Mail me to the Moon said:

That's what I'm saying dude! I swear every new version gets closer and closer to running like a linux distro. Gotta spend several hours troubleshooting the most inane things.

The big difference is Linux Distros common upon users are free...

My biggest regret is windows 10, it's technically a part of the computer as it is required (or some sort of OS) to run the whole thing.

So much headaches, it's buggier than 95... Sure doesn't crash like 95 but it has way more bugs and issues...

Probably a 120GB SSD I got on sale for $40. It's not that the capacity is low, it's the nightmare it created when I was copying files over from my hard drive. Apparently, when you move personal files from a completely separate Windows installation, it messes with the file permissions. This somehow causes one of the services to stop during the boot process. No amount of disk repairing could save it.

Luckily, I had a RAID array with 2 12 year old drives that were still running strong, and I was able to clone the 6 month old data to the 2TB drive.

tl;dr copying files, Windows broke, cloned old drives over, hate my SSD now

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

I regret buying my K70 RGB (MX Reds, refurbished) the most, I've had numerous issues with keys not working or registering as pressed multiple times when pressed once (Hasn't happened recently though), and the software is absolute garbage. The keys are also a bit softer than I'd like. (Too easy to accidentally press a key if my finger placement is off a little bit)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I was almost about to type “nothing... ever” but then remembered something that was so short lived that I’d almost forhotten.

USED PARTS!

To be more specific I wanted to realize mu dream (as a poor student) and bought a used i7 extreeme edition and mobo. Can’t remember the model, but it needed a 1333 mhz board whereas the rest of this i7 gen used a max of 1066 mhz. The mobo was from this shady cellar shop in copenhagen because the cpu seller had alreafy sold his board... and the board died - and was super rare!

I could have researched this beforehand but hadn’t. This is such a mark un my otherwise almost flawless investment history that if not for this thread I might have successfully supressed the memory of this for ever. 

Oh, it has to be my second build! On my first build, I splurged a little just to make sure I didn’t get the cheapest version of everything. Everything was also new too. And, my rig is pretty great for the $800 or so I put into it (including vanity stuff like RGB peripherals). Runs any sim I throw at it buttery smooth.

However, my second build was to be a budget itx build just for fun. Few parts would be new, the rest would be the cheapest acceptable parts I could find. Oh boy...here comes the regrets...

First regret: The original motherboard I bought for the build was a used MSI H110 model. I received it in a state where it had four just straight up bent or missing pins. My hands aren’t steady enough for a board repair like that. In fact, when I tried to repair the board, I damaged two more pins. Ugh...okay, so I asked for a half refund (I’d just rather not go through the whole eBay dispute process), got it, then sold the board to someone for $10. In the end, I only lost about $20 on the thing.

Second regret: I had (rightly) decided that buying used mobos was a risky proposition if the seller didn’t provide pics of the pins, so I bought a new ASRock H110M-ITX instead.

A day later...I received an ASRock J3455-ITX. Thanks Amazon. 

So, I started that return process and had them send me the mobo I actually bought. YAY! Now I can build my machine, right? Haha...

After I built everything into my customized SilverStone SG05-Lite, I had discovered that the SFX PSU I bought was an inch too long. I thought that if pcpartpicker didn’t note any conflicts, all would be well. Apparently not. Lesson learned. **sigh**

It’s at that point that I lost interest in the adorable SilverStone build and basically sold off everything but the CPU, graphics card, mobo, and RAM, then started over.

So, I guess I regret the entirety of “mk1” of my second build.

But that’s okay, because mk2 turned out way cooler than mk1 would have even if mk1 went perfectly.

2BCBFDC4-554F-4F87-8D36-FD182513EF6A.jpeg

Resident smart (car) fanatic and lover of trijet airliners. One day you'll probably see me on one of those "Hoarders" shows, only I'm buried under a pile of 50 smart cars.

Rigs (all named after aircraft )

- DC-10-60 (GTX 1060 Gaming Machine)
- Falcon 550TI (GTX 550 TI Fun ITX Build)

- Legacy 630 (Convertible Desktop/Laptop Experiment)

- A340-750 (Dual Xeon GTX 750 Sleeper)

I regret buying a KVM switch that was intended to easily switch my mouse and keyboard from working with my PC to let’s say my Mac. However my Mac wouldn’t often recognize the m/k if it was asleep. So it made what I wanted to do useless.