What part/peripheral do you regret buying the most?

Gandek

I us d to have a set of zalman 5.1 surround headphones back in the day that I loved. Great sound stage and clear crisp audio on my sound blaster. Found what I thought was the sam set on amazon so I freaked out and bought it. Opened the box and found it was USB instead of analog. They sound like crap salad in a turd bowl. I’ve never used them again. Waste of 60 bucks.

Probably regret asking for an H115i instead of a Dark Rock Pro 3 the most for Christmas the other year. Dear god my ears have been raped to the point of no return.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

G910 keyboard. Under 3 years old, 6 keys have at least 1 of the RGB colours dead.

A ratz mouse

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

1. Mad Catz RAT 7 mouse. An expensive mouse I got from the Apple store back in 2012 and it barely lasted a year.

2. MSI X99 Gaming 9 ACK motherboard. This is a long one so bear with me. Got this for my first pc build in early 2016. I told myself I can splurge a "little" on an expensive motherboard as I already had a keyboard, mouse, and monitor that I used for my old MacBook Air, as well as a second HyperX Savage SSD I got from Linus' garage sale back in 2015, therefore making my first build really "cheap." I also had a second a GTX 570 and was waiting for the 1000 series to come out any time. One of the main selling points was that it had an onboard hardware streaming device and 2 years of XSplit subscription. The streamer didn't work on mine, but I couldn't send it in because I needed it for school. I sent it for repair during semester break and they said it'll be mailed to me in 2 weeks. Instead, I had to go pick it up from them 6 weeks later. The thing still didn't work and now my motherboard has lots scratches on it. I didn't want to deal with waiting another 6 weeks for cosmetic repairs so I just kept it. At least it gave me another 2 years of XSplit. Turns out the streamer's problem were driver related according to XSplit support and they told me the drivers from MSI's site doesn't work so I had to download it from some obscure site they directed me to. After testing it out I concluded that this thing is outdated as it can only record and stream up to 1080p 30 FPS. Recording with my CPU can go up to 4K 60 FPS. therefore this onboard recorder is only useful for certain CPU intensive games. I dunno what I was thinking. I don't even stream lol. Could've got an ASUS Strix motherboard for much cheaper and got a 1080 instead of a 1070.

3. Not a regret of buying, but a regret of not buying. On Boxing Day 2016, Newegg had Kingston HyperX FURY 2x8 2133 MHz RAM on sale $95. NCIX had it for $125. I initially got this pair of RAM sticks for $80 back in early 2016 with the idea of doubling up later. So I walked down to NCIX and asked for a price match. They said $124.35, and I'm like u say wot. They look at their computer for about two minutes and then say $123. I dunno what happened to their price matching policy, but I just left, went home, and went to sleep forgetting to buy them on Newegg. Now they cost like $215.

4. I regret buying some cheap ass HDMI cable online that seemed to have fried HDMI ports on my TV and monitors. Luckily my main monitor had a second HDMI input, but I have to use a GTX 570 to hook up my second monitor via VGA and a DVI adaptor that apparently isn't the same DVI port on my 1070. Had to get an HDMI switcher for my TV.

My current motherboard. Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3.

So why in a world would I ever go for Gigabyte after my previous motherboards were all ASUS? It had an amazing discount:|

My case, Corsair 750D. Back feet broken, and fascia broken. After sending in my support ticket to Corsair support, they spent 3 months to say I needed to send back the broken case, to get a new one. Because apparently they can't send me a couple of new feet and a front fascia so I can replace it 

I did not comply and now I have a broken case with my PC system in it lol. Wish I just bought the Fractal Meshify C instead

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

16 minutes ago, NMS said:

My current motherboard. Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3.

So why in a world would I ever go for Gigabyte after my previous motherboards were all ASUS? It had an amazing discount:|

I've seen quite a few people saying ASUS is far better than Gigabyte, what's the reason?

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it. :P

11 minutes ago, electrolux said:

I've seen quite a few people saying ASUS is far better than Gigabyte, what's the reason?

Asus has an amazing UEFI. Gigabyte's one down right sucks. I had to manually flash it twice in order for the RGB to work. And Gigabyte motherboards aren't as good when it comes to overclocking.

I'm not saying they're bad, but they don't compare to ASUS. Furthermore, in my opinion, they down right degraded in quality over the years.

I'm not sure if I have made so many bad purchases that I have closed my mind entirely from regret as a desperate defense mechanism, or if I'm really just fine with anything as long as I get a fair bit of use out of it. Purchases with little expectation to begin with are of course an entirely separate thing.

My worst impulse purchases from last year were sub 20€ bluetooth earbuds and a rapoo bluetooth keyboard. The problem with the earbuds was the weight of the control/battery box that pulled the bud from one ear while the other was fine. I knew they wouldn't sound great, but the pull was such an annoyance that I haven't bothered to use them. I had equally low expectations from the keyboard, but it wasn't just bad, it was unusable. I have old typewriters so I'm no stranger to meticulous finger work, but that keyboard just had no consistency to it at all.

I had a terrible experience with a 2009 Mac Mini, this was back in 2016. I was expecting somewhat close performance to my 2010 MBP, but the Mini was drastically more sluggish and thoroughly resisted accepting an SSD. In the end I felt lucky to even get a fresh install of macOS successfully in (to the old HDD) for passing it on. Good riddance. This was however rather inevitable, so I'm happy I learned the lesson so I don't have to eye those cheap Minis anymore wondering if I should get one.

Between 2007 and 2010 I had probably four different CPUs for 775. I don't particularly regret it, but in retrospect it was just a waste of money. I had just built my first custom PC in 2007 (E2160) and had lots of fun with overclocking. I proceeded to pick up rather random CPUs from discount bins just to see how they run in comparison. It was fun, but I didn't get much bang for my buck, with planning and saving I could have used the money to steadily improve my overall setup.

3 hours ago, electrolux said:

As an Asus loyalist myself, my trust in them might just be coincidence assisted by the fortune that I have never had their product fail me. What made me buy the first product from them I don't know. Had to be either good marketing or good word of mouth from friends.

I was thinking some terrible phrase to end with, such as "nothing is trash until you throw it away", but looking around I recalled the cheap Labtec 2.1 speakers I got 15 or so years ago. They were definitely trash from the moment they were assembled in some Chinese factory. Lesson learned with no fun aspects to it, so... ding, regret! Finally.

Mouse: Razer Deathadder. Felt awfully cheap, it was too light and the texture made my hand slip the whole time. Razer synapse did not allow me to choose 2160dpi but only 2100 or 2200.

EDIT: it was around 2013

Edited by HappyDog_420

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

8 minutes ago, HappyDog_420 said:

Mouse: Razer Deathadder. Felt awfully cheap, it was too light and the texture made my hand slip the whole time. Razer synapse did not allow me to choose 2160dpi but only 2100 or 2200.

Are you sure you didn't get a counterfeit one ?

16 minutes ago, Generallee said:

Are you sure you didn't get a counterfeit one ?

Yes, it was 4-5 years ago. So maybe it got better now

2 minutes ago, HappyDog_420 said:

Yes, it was 4-5 years ago. So maybe it got better now

I was seriously considering one but I guess the G502 is better as everyone seems to agree on

One of those "gaming" chairs. Holy crap they are overpriced AF and absolute junk.

Paid almost 300 euro's for it, i'm now sitting on an 80 euro desk chair which is a LOT better.

If you want a chair, just get out of your chair and get your ass to a proper store, test them and get whatever you like.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

7 minutes ago, Generallee said:

I was seriously considering one but I guess the G502 is better as everyone seems to agree on

I never had one, but my brother and best friend got one and consider it the best mouse.
I got the g402 for no particular reason years ago, I got so much used to it that it's the only model I can game with.

Anyway, I digress: Indeed I suggest the G502

1 hour ago, Klovnious said:

My case, Corsair 750D. Back feet broken, and fascia broken. After sending in my support ticket to Corsair support, they spent 3 months to say I needed to send back the broken case, to get a new one. Because apparently they can't send me a couple of new feet and a front fascia so I can replace it 

I did not comply and now I have a broken case with my PC system in it lol. Wish I just bought the Fractal Meshify C instead

I wish I had bought the Fractal Meshify C instead of the Define C,the front panel doesn't have enough airflow.

Corsair should have just sent you replacement parts,makes no sense that they would want the whole case,lol.

1 hour ago, NMS said:

Asus has an amazing UEFI. Gigabyte's one down right sucks. I had to manually flash it twice in order for the RGB to work. And Gigabyte motherboards aren't as good when it comes to overclocking.

I'm not saying they're bad, but they don't compare to ASUS. Furthermore, in my opinion, they down right degraded in quality over the years.

You went a B350 board,on Ryzen with any brand you should get X370 for overclocking. And RGB,well I don't like RGB myself because the lightshow from everything is a distraction,if manufacturers sold the same motherboards without the lights that cost less i'd buy it instead.

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

One of those "gaming" chairs. Holy crap they are overpriced AF and absolute junk.

Paid almost 300 euro's for it, i'm now sitting on an 80 euro desk chair which is a LOT better.

If you want a chair, just get out of your chair and get your ass to a proper store, test them and get whatever you like.

Never bought one but every time I find myself trying one in my local Techstore, they seem to allow one way of sitting only, can't lean on one side. Furthermore I'm 190cm (6'2.66), the "shoulder-rests" are pushing against my back instead and the head rest against my neck.

Got the Markus from IKEA, it's a good chair for tall people.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

I wish I had bought the Fractal Meshify C instead of the Define C,the front panel doesn't have enough airflow.

You went a B350 board,on Ryzen with any brand you should get X370 for overclocking. And RGB,well I don't like RGB myself because the lightshow from everything is a distraction,if manufacturers sold the same motherboards without the lights that cost less i'd buy it instead.

But I am not interested in overclocking at all. It's just my observation and others' feedback that I've heard through the years. And yes, I will switch to X370 Prime most likely soon.

An Asus M5A97 R2.0. I kept having crashes with my FX-8320 and every time I RMA'ed the mobo, there'd always be some other undying issue with the card. I ended up upgrading to a Z97 and 4790k at one point and throwing my old motherboard and cpu into a bonfire. 

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

My first processor was a $140 i5 6400-t. On integrated graphics. However, I did get $30 8gb of ram from it at the beginning of 2016, something I don't imagine I'll ever see again.  Luckily, I sold that, the processor and the motherboard for a steep $330 ;) about the same I bought it for, only because the ram was 3x as much.  Thank god I got smart and bought ryzen, however the ram in that system was $65 for the same amount and now its $90...

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Spending 300 CAD on a Dell Studio XPS 8100 with an i5-750, 6GB of RAM, a shitty motherboard, bad case, dying HDD, and a shitty PSU.

EDIT: Also spending 108 CAD once converted on a 5870, which turned out for dying.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I'd probably say my GPU that I have now, I have a Radeon RX 460, while it isn't a high end card, I now wish i hadn't cheaped out and got a better card as it struggles on most games. Although it is better than the Nvidia Geforce 610 i had before that. 

Razer Kraken Pro, by far the worst headphone i've ever had.

And i would've said my Mantistek GK2 wasn't a great product either, but i can't blame the poor thing, i paid half the full price and later exchanged it on a local forum for a (Chyrosran22 voice mode:on) terminal IBM Model M keyboard from 1993.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

On 2/20/2018 at 9:30 PM, Gandek said:

If none kudos to you. I personally have experimented way too much with various peripherals I currently have 2 mice plugged in so yeah... For me it would have to be the Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire its a nice keyboard and all but i really should have saved or spent that $140 I payed during summer of 2017 elsewhere. I bought my cousin a $45 Mechnaical keyboard (EagleTec KG010) and it made me really see i was overspending in that area. Nowadays you can even get a full size mechanical corsair keyboard for $69... (Corsair STRAFE)

Razer Orbweaver. 

Did not like.