Biohacker's Opal hand implant cancelled, court fight looms

After returning from Body Hacking Con in Texas a cyborg convention the "molecular biologist, entrepreneur and futurist" found his Opal card implant non-functional. The "Opal Card" is NSW state's transport authorities fare managing service system for using the public transport network in Sydney's "metro" areas.

For those who do not recall Meow-Ludo Disco Gamma Meow-Meow (that is the scientist's name) reduced the Transport NSW's Opal card's NFC chip and implanted into his hand. This plastic bio-compatible implant was manufactured explicitly by Dangerous Things a US lab, and the refabricating actions can be considered a breach of Opal's terms of service, prohibiting tampering which is, technically what reverse engineering is. He also ran in the 2016 Australian federal election in the seat of New England (against some guy called Barnaby Joyce) as a candidate for the Science Party.

Links

Biohacker's Opal hand implant cancelled, court fight looms site: www.smh.com.au

Rise Of The Cyborgs site: www.themusic.com.au

2016 Science Party candidate in the Australian federal election interviews site: www.huffingtonpost.com.au and www.theland.com.au

Science Party

Opal card information site: en.wikipedia.org

Dangerous Things forum

On the Forum (Company to chip employees thread)

Edited by SydneySideSteveSomewheres
Added the LTT forum thread name

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

I still think implanting stuff like that into the human body is a really stupid idea.

Who the hell renames themselves that? Yet another reason I worry about the future..

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

This plastic bio-compatible implant was manufactured explicitly by Dangerous Things

That's a name that inspires confidence.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The about page on their website says only says "yeah" so I guess if you are squeamish you have probably navigated to the wrong part of the web...lol

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I think his name inspires even more Meow-Ludo Disco Gamma Meow-Meow, like who the hell has a name like that I highly doubt his "science party" has anything to do with science he probably thinks he's a robot cat or some other retarded sjw esque "gender"

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

18 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I still think implanting stuff like that into the human body is a really stupid idea.

Who the hell renames themselves that? Yet another reason I worry about the future..

An interviewer saying his name with an Australian accent right at the beginning of the piece.

https://www.facebook.com/NDLNews/videos/1555178494573499/

1 minute ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

An interviewer saying his name with an Australian accent right at the beginning of the piece.

https://www.facebook.com/NDLNews/videos/1555178494573499/

Oh dear.

I don't know why he thinks anyone would take him seriously as a party candidate with a name like that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

13 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Oh dear.

I don't know why he thinks anyone would take him seriously as a party candidate with a name like that.

I would donate a dollar to their campaign, if for no other reason than to support a disruption to the mainstream thought propaganda. 

Makes me want to implant a magnet into my finger again... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Makes me want to implant a magnet into my finger again... 

Again?

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

6 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

Again?

Well I have wanted to do it a long time, never have. This brought back the thought of doing it again

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

46 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Well I have wanted to do it a long time, never have. This brought back the thought of doing it again

Oh, I through you'd already done it before... Like why would you need two? LOL

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

1 hour ago, dtaflorida said:

Oh, I through you'd already done it before... Like why would you need two? LOL

i really want to get one though, so damn cool but they might wreck credit cards and harddrives xD 

Builds:

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

good luck getting an MRI 

Did he not read the terms and conditions? 

Unfortunately people like that give science a bad name.  And the some of the science party policies are just mad.

EDIT: oh, and he was never going to beat Barnaby Joyce,  BJ is universally hated as a politician but sits in a currently safe nationals seat

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Meow's a great bloke if you bother to chat with him about anything.
And this isn't actually a Science Party issue, its just that the party supports Meow in general and his right to do stuff to himself without having his cards killed. 

Full disclosure: I'm an unpaid shill and member of the Science Party. 

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

14 minutes ago, Serin said:

and somewhat think that Sydney's transport system is dumb enough without them worrying about one guy with a talent for experimentation modifying cards and making things more difficult to fault find. 

FTFY.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

24 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

There was no need for that until they banned the modded chip in his hand AFAIK.......

I'm not sure you appreciate the issues with these systems.

1. the terms of use specifically state the cards remain the property of TfNSW and must be handed back on request.  

As someone who wanted to run for parliament and is associated with a political party, he has no excuse for ignoring that, If he feels he should be able to implant a smaller Opal card then there are proper avenues to go through to make that acceptable. The least of which is deface public property without permission.

and

2. as a public figure his actions are seen as a green light to others to do the same,  when you have people trying to cut their cards down and they stop working,  at best you just have people asking for new cards claiming the old one was lost (which adds to the work TfNSW staff have to do already with a teetering system) and at worst if the altered card stops working after they have touched on,  they face fines for traveling without a valid card because there is no way the PTO can verify a card that no longer exists was active and validated for travel.

The fact he wants to stick it in his hand is moot. No one really cares about that.

EDIT: all I am saying is there are reasons the terms and conditions exist, one of them is so the system has the best chance of being properly managed and implemented not too mention it reduces the chances of people getting caught out because they "didn't know" something.

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The fact he wants to stick it in his hand is moot. No one really cares about that.

Have you ever forgotten anything home? :D

They actually cancelled his non-implanted card after finding his name on the registered cards system, and then months later worked out that they'd killed the wrong one and proceeded to find(the how and the time it took here is interesting) and kill the one he'd stuck in his hand.

Basically, from my perspective its the company spending a huge amount of time, money and effort on a singular issue that really means nothing at all. He was paying his fees and innovating in a space where there hasn't been innovation for well... a long time. Doom to him and his hand!
They're really not going to discourage anyone with this. In fact knowing that community it'll just spur them on more. Wouldn't be shocked to soon hear of people copying the cards onto their own implanted tech. (but surely that's against the T&C'S OH NO)
Its going to happen, and they really aren't going to be able to do anything to stop it.

EDIT: and oh yeah, they cancelled them before the court case started. Well done them.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The least of which is deface public property without permission.

The transpo system up there isn't publicly owned? I think. Or at least the Opal system isn't.

Cheese monger.

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

good luck getting an MRI 

I don't plan on needing one :P

Builds:

Spoiler