What would cause metal swarf to contaminate the whole fuel system of a car?

3 Lions

Hi,

So I'm on work experience in a service centre at a local dealership. Today (actually started the job yesterday) me and another young guy who I'm supervised by got this job where the car (in this case a 2017 Kia Sportage Diesel) was in for a fuel fault. Obviously modern diesels use a system called a common rail ignition system (Kia calls it CRDI) so we had to do a low and high pressure leak back test using a complicated kit supplied by Kia. After about 3 hours of setting up the test gear (it was really complicated) we were ready to do the test, we cranked over the engine a few times and found if I remember injectors 1,3 & 4 to be injecting correctly but 2 was really weak with small drips and pulsing while cranking. We came to the conclusion that the high pressure pump was damaged due to the metal swarf in the system and not providing the correct pressure for that certain injector, the fault was identified a week before I was actually there so that's how we know there is metal in the system but I think Kia requested to do the test anyway for warranty purposes. Basically the whole fuel system is toast with only a few fuels lines and tank salvageable (those can be cleaned out) the rest will all need replacing but what's confusing me is how did metal make it's way into the system, does anyone have any possible answers? 

Thanks

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

VW had a similar issue in their 2009 era TDI engines, in the US at least. The high pressure fuel pump would fail, sending metal shards everywhere in the system, contaminating everything.

Some cars have a returnless fuel system where only parts downstream of the failed component get contaminated and need replaced, while others are return system where excess fuel is returned to the fuel tank from the fuel rail-- this is the kind of system that will contaminate everything if one component fails catastrophically. Ideally the fuel filter should catch any debris, but if the filter is upstream of the HPFP then it won't do much good. My understanding is the common systems feature a regular in-tank fuel pump that then feeds the HPFP closer to the engine, with the fuel filter in between.

BMW had an issue with the HPFP on their N54 turbo 6 cylinder engines, but I believe that was a returnless fuel system and that the pump failed without contaminating the fuel system.

water in the fuel can make the high pressure pump not have a very good day due to rust.