I'm trying to fix my old GPU, but I don't know how.

Hello, I'm new to the LTT Forums and this will be my first post, but it's going to be a long post, because I've come here for help. Recently, I've gotten a new PC that I was told would be suitable for mid-tier gaming needs. When I received it, I plugged it in along with all of my peripherals, installed a 100% legitimate copy of W10 Pro and properly booted the computer. At first, things went OK aside from a bad display resolution due to the lack of drivers. I assumed that this would fix itself once my computer had internet access. I plugged in the networking cable and installed Overwatch, a game I was excited to try on PC. The driver's likely hadn't updated yet, as when I started the game the performance was incredibly poor. After a short time of the game running, my whole computer screen went dark. After this, I restarted it multiple times in multiple ways and always got to the same black screen, either shortly after or before windows booting. I found that the computer only worked properly for longer than 5 minutes if I disconnected the networking cable, but even then, the resolution and performance stayed the same. After these unsuccessful attempts at trying to get my computer to work properly, I decided to open it. Inside this old case, I found: 

An Intel Core i7-3820

An Asus P9x79 Motherboard

A WD 465 HDDrive

4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2300mHz RAM (Bottlenecked by both my motherboard and processor, unfortunately.)

A 500W PSU

and, the most likely root of my problems, a dusty, old looking AMD FirePro W5000.

After this, I decided to go out and buy a new GPU to use until I had enough money to upgrade. It was a Gigabyte NVIDIA GT-1030. When I received it, I installed it along with its necessary drivers and to my surprise, everything worked as they should have. The performance of my games was as expected from this GPU and I had no boot issues or other problems, however, I wanted to be able to sell the AMD card for what it normally goes for online and hopefully buy a GTX1050 with the money, so I opened the case once again and installed it in the second PCIe x16 slot of my motherboard. I then connected both GPUs to my monitor via VGA/DVI-D and HDMI cables and booted the PC. While displaying through the GT1030, the computer booted and functioned fine. I reinstalled the latest AMD Drivers for this card and booted up Overwatch on the second "monitor" by switching my source to VGA, to test the card's performance. The game opened up automatically on ultra settings and ran very well, up until I entered the practice range. At this point, the screen flashed for a second and gave me the ":(" windows 10 blue screen. I restarted the PC and repeated the process in the same way and was hit with the same blue screen, and all attempts to boot the PC with both cards after that weren't getting me past the ASUS boot screen.

So, my question is, what do I do? Is there anything I'm missing, a broken driver or a compatibility issue, or did the card get damaged while shipped to me in the PC? This computer used to work fine, as far as i've heard, as it is second hand from a relative. I don't expect many replies, but please help me out if you have seen these problems before, as i'd really like to be able to either use the better AMD card or sell it.

Boot it up with just the nvidia card installed, then run DDU and shut down. Replace the card with the amd card, then install the proper driver. Hopefully works then. Also, when you go back to the nvidia card, run DDU again and then reinstall it's driver.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

3 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Boot it up with just the nvidia card installed, then run DDU and shut down. Replace the card with the amd card, then install the proper driver. Hopefully works then. Also, when you go back to the nvidia card, run DDU again and then reinstall it's driver.

What's DDU? I've not heard of that.

Edit: Nevermind, I could have just googled it.

1 minute ago, InternetRecluse said:

What's DDU? I've not heard of that.

Display driver uninstaller. Amd and nvidia drivers seldom play nice when installed on the same machine, so using a proper uninstaller like DDU is the preferred method when changing from one to the other to avoid random display/performance issues.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

1 minute ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Display driver uninstaller. Amd and nvidia drivers seldom play nice when installed on the same machine, so using a proper uninstaller like DDU is the preferred method when changing from one to the other to avoid random display/performance issues.

I'm trying it now, thank you.

26 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

I uninstalled all of the drivers, but halfway through installing new AMD ones from the official installer, my computer black-screened. Its still working, but its not doing anything. Any ideas? 

9 minutes ago, InternetRecluse said:

I uninstalled all of the drivers, but halfway through installing new AMD ones from the official installer, my computer black-screened. Its still working, but its not doing anything. Any ideas? 

Sounds like it could be a driver crash, I've had something similar when overclocking my GPU.

Try with older drivers and download them from AMD directly. Also, try running DDU again to make sure you cleared out the other drivers(and anything that partially installed).

Another thing to mention is that getting AMD and Nvidia cards to play nicely and be used in the same system like this is a real pain and getting the drivers set up to work properly is nearly impossible. Only using card one at a time will make the process go quite a bit smoother.

One other thing you could try is running only the AMD card while using the CPU's iGPU(plug monitor cables into motherboard) to download and install drivers. If that works, switch back to the AMD card and see if it'll work. Do all of this without the GT 1030 installed in the system.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!