Problems with Aourus GTX1080ti

Hi folks,

I recently upgraded my gaming rig with a GTX 1080ti from Aorus (Gigabyte), I previously had a EVGA 1080 SC and it was struggling with Project Cars 2 and Fallout VR, and since there is no estimate as to when the next generation will come out and the prices are still soaring, I bit the hook on a good offer.

Since I upgraded I'm having a lot of trouble, including:

Once you turn on the computer the monitor will not detect any input (using DP) unless I hit the reset (restart) button, and then it boots normally. It is a minor inconvenience but it is not supposed to be like that, and never was.

If the Aorus companion app (Graphics engine) is running on windows startup, when I start steam VR or even open a Chrome browser window, a black screen ensues and the PC is hanged for a while. Sometimes it comes back and sometimes not.

I'm using the latest nvidia drivers 390.77 (installed clean after using DDU in safemode) and even reinstalled windows from scratch, and tried various Windows10 insider preview's releases (currently bulid 17074). Always the same behavior.

Any ideas?  My rig never had an issue when I had the EVGA card, and I have isolated most problems to be related to the Graphics Engine App... 

Thank you in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Matt. 

25 minutes ago, Mattforum said:

Hi folks,

I recently upgraded my gaming rig with a GTX 1080ti from Aorus (Gigabyte), I previously had a EVGA 1080 SC and it was struggling with Project Cars 2 and Fallout VR, and since there is no estimate as to when the next generation will come out and the prices are still soaring, I bit the hook on a good offer.

Since I upgraded I'm having a lot of trouble, including:

Once you turn on the computer the monitor will not detect any input (using DP) unless I hit the reset (restart) button, and then it boots normally. It is a minor inconvenience but it is not supposed to be like that, and never was.

If the Aorus companion app (Graphics engine) is running on windows startup, when I start steam VR or even open a Chrome browser window, a black screen ensues and the PC is hanged for a while. Sometimes it comes back and sometimes not.

I'm using the latest nvidia drivers 390.77 (installed clean after using DDU in safemode) and even reinstalled windows from scratch, and tried various Windows10 insider preview's releases (currently bulid 17074). Always the same behavior.

Any ideas?  My rig never had an issue when I had the EVGA card, and I have isolated most problems to be related to the Graphics Engine App... 

Thank you in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Matt. 

Do you need the Graphics engine app?

|| CPU: I7 6950X @4.6 (1.35V) || Cooler: CUSTOM EK LOOP || Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10

|| GPU: 2x Vega 64 Strix OC @1762 / 1100 MHz || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Royal RGB 3200 Mhz ||

HDD: Segate Barracuda 3TB || SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 512 GB || PSU: Corsair HX 1200 W || Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal || Fans: Corsair HD120 (x4) / BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 (x4) || Monitor: ACER XF27HU ||

Second Monitor: BENQ RL2455HM || Mouse: Logitech G502 Pretus Core || Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Headphones: Sennheiser IE80 ||

Buildlog expirience swapping to x99: 

25 minutes ago, joshuawi99 said:

Do you need the Graphics engine app?

Well not really, but to switch OC profiles and manage the LEDs on the card it is required (only for the leds). The thing is I used MSI afterburner as well and it also crashed a couple times although less than with the Aorus app...  I will wait for the next nvidia drivers until I consider sending the card for repair/replacement...  

1 hour ago, Mattforum said:

Well not really, but to switch OC profiles and manage the LEDs on the card it is required (only for the leds). The thing is I used MSI afterburner as well and it also crashed a couple times although less than with the Aorus app...  I will wait for the next nvidia drivers until I consider sending the card for repair/replacement...  

i think your problem might be related to the use of both the gigabyte software and msi afterburner concurrently...you might want to pick one or the other and completely remove the other one..

Also if you have your windows installation on a separate drive and it's not too much trouble for you you might want to consider doing a wipe off and a clean install of windows...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

18 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:
19 hours ago, Mattforum said:

i think your problem might be related to the use of both the gigabyte software and msi afterburner concurrently...you might want to pick one or the other and completely remove the other one..

This does not seem to be case, I have uninstalled MSI software and the problem persists... I think it has to do with the nvidia drivers having some kind of incompatibility with the Aorus App. Oddly enough if I do not run the Graphics Engine app (I have disabled the autoload on startup option) it runs pretty much fine, but if I open it to change any setting it will crash shortly after.

3 hours ago, Mattforum said:

This does not seem to be case, I have uninstalled MSI software and the problem persists... I think it has to do with the nvidia drivers having some kind of incompatibility with the Aorus App. Oddly enough if I do not run the Graphics Engine app (I have disabled the autoload on startup option) it runs pretty much fine, but if I open it to change any setting it will crash shortly after.

Did you try installing an older version of nVidia drivers ?

Yes, actually I did install (and uninstalled with DDU) various nvidia drivers to no avail. The thing seems to be linked to the Graphics Engine App, if I do not open it everything is fine but even if I do not use it, and use msi afterburner or evga precision xoc to monitor fps, temperatures etc... it also hangs the system, although less frequently, I think that it is something with this card that does not get along well with Overclocking and monitoring applications... let's see if future drivers and versions of the Graphics engine app take care of this issue. After two clean win10 installs I cannot identify any other source for this problems...

Honestly, I hate Gigabyte. Terrible CS, and I've only heard about issues with them. My 1060 didn't work when I got it. (Not DoA, another issue.)

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Comic sans is the worst font

Check out my monitor overclocking guide

I don’t think your issue is related to the drivers + aorus app.

i have the same card with the aorus app and latest nvidia drivers and everything runs just fine. 

7 hours ago, Mattforum said:

Yes, actually I did install (and uninstalled with DDU) various nvidia drivers to no avail. The thing seems to be linked to the Graphics Engine App, if I do not open it everything is fine but even if I do not use it, and use msi afterburner or evga precision xoc to monitor fps, temperatures etc... it also hangs the system, although less frequently, I think that it is something with this card that does not get along well with Overclocking and monitoring applications... let's see if future drivers and versions of the Graphics engine app take care of this issue. After two clean win10 installs I cannot identify any other source for this problems...

New drivers were released today, might be worth a shot 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Yeah I updated nvidia drivers yesterday and it appears to be more stable. I did get a black screen momentarily after using the Graphics Engine App but it recovered shortly after.