Idiots are tweeting the Telugu character to crash iphone Twitter apps

AtomicFrance
11 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

A shame we couldn't charge those idiots with some sort of crime due to their evident maliciousness.

You can it falls under the computer misuse act.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Seems to me like the idiots were the ones designing the phone, not the ones trolling people.

talking like a perfect human being!

i really hope you never mess up in your work even once.

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Seems to me like the idiots were the ones designing the phone, not the ones trolling people.

Intentionally abusing a flaw with the intention of crashing or breaking someone's device is malicious. There have been reports of people being unable to boot their iPhones after receiving these characters, so I don't see how anyone can consider it mere trolling.

It's pretty appalling that Apple allowed for such a bug to exist (and it's one of many such bugs to have existed on iOS in the last few years), but just because Apple screwed up doesn't make it alright for people to abuse the flaw.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Would be a shame if I was to send this in the work group chat and fuck up every's day lol (I'm the only person at work with an android :D )

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

The superior OS.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

5 hours ago, Whiskers said:

Intentionally abusing a flaw with the intention of crashing or breaking someone's device is malicious. There have been reports of people being unable to boot their iPhones after receiving these characters, so I don't see how anyone can consider it mere trolling.

It's pretty appalling that Apple allowed for such a bug to exist (and it's one of many such bugs to have existed on iOS in the last few years), but just because Apple screwed up doesn't make it alright for people to abuse the flaw.

Malicious, yes. Idiotic? Not really.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, lacion said:

talking like a perfect human being!

i really hope you never mess up in your work even once.

I have. I've faced consequences because of it in fact, which is something that should happen to Apple here.

See what bothers me is that enough of you want to focus on the "idiots" (when they're trolls) which is a more indirect way of basically what you're doing here: running interference for them offering up excuses or reasons why it should be forgivable. No: people need to get fucking fired over stuff like this. People high up not just coders since this breaks down several chains of their process if it got out to the public and it's still not patched or one is being forced.

-------

Current Rig

-------

19 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I have. I've faced consequences because of it in fact, which is something that should happen to Apple here.

See what bothers me is that enough of you want to focus on the "idiots" (when they're trolls) which is a more indirect way of basically what you're doing here: running interference for them offering up excuses or reasons why it should be forgivable. No: people need to get fucking fired over stuff like this. People high up not just coders since this breaks down several chains of their process if it got out to the public and it's still not patched or one is being forced.

you are absolutely crazy if you think a perfectly good engineer is going to get fired for not figuring out a crazy edge case.

your reasoning is totally absurd and way over the top, things happen mistakes get corrected and most probably something will be put in place so possibilities of it happening again are lowered. if you fired everyone that made a mistake you will be running a company full of people that never learned a valuable lesson.

3 hours ago, lacion said:

you are absolutely crazy if you think a perfectly good engineer is going to get fired for not figuring out a crazy edge case.

your reasoning is totally absurd and way over the top, things happen mistakes get corrected and most probably something will be put in place so possibilities of it happening again are lowered. if you fired everyone that made a mistake you will be running a company full of people that never learned a valuable lesson.

So you think only one person made a mistake?

Nobody supervises the project? Nobody tested it? QA team didn't think of testing any special characters? Is it because nobody thought their phones would be sold in India? Who signed off on that? Who is in charge of patching it? Why is it taking this long? Why can't the patch be forced through? Who in the project is in charge of patches and why didn't they foresee this specific situation of a critical patch that needs to be pushed out ASAP?

If that's in place who veto'ed the fix? Why? What's his risk assessment of not forcing all users to update? Did he run that by legal? Who's the manager ultimately in charge of that department?

I could go on but if something gets out this bad it doesn't means just one engineer fucked up (Notice I am not assuming he's good or bad, like you are) but the entire company and all their processes in place to prevent this also failed.

Last but not least I love that you specifically assumed I wanted an engineer fired when I said somebody high up needed to be fired, meaning a high ranking manager and such.

-------

Current Rig

-------