NVIDIA and Princeton University collaborated to make a working proof of concept tool that exploits Spectre and Meltdown

30 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I didn't think they had anything current?

The only CPU core they've ever designed is their 64 Bit Project Denver ARM core.

They're allegedly working on Project Denver 2.0 

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I would like to note that the Spectre mitigation included in the Windows Updates is off by default on Windows Server and the current advice from Microsoft is to leave it off unless the server is at an exposed risk of exploitation.

Isn’t that Microsoft rolled back on the Spectre v2 update because it was problematic? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

27 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Isn’t that Microsoft rolled back on the Spectre v2 update because it was problematic? 

It was always off by default for servers with a reg key required to enable variant 1 and variant 2 mitigation individually, both are on by default on Windows desktop editions.

29 minutes ago, leadeater said:

None of their GPU hardware is effected and their ARM CPUs they never really 'confirmed' they were, they are working on microcode updates for them to ensure they are not though so that could be an admission of exposed risk or just playing it safe.

None of their GPU hardware was, but their software was vulnerable to Spectre.

They did confirm that their CPUs are vulnerable. The one they didn't "confirm" was Meltdown. Here are the quotes from Nvidia:

Variant 1 (CVE-2017-5753): Mitigations are provided with the security update included in this bulletin. NVIDIA expects to work together with its ecosystem partners on future updates to further strengthen mitigations.

Variant 2 (CVE-2017-5715): Mitigations are provided with the security update included in this bulletin. NVIDIA expects to work together with its ecosystem partners on future updates to further strengthen mitigations.

Variant 3 (CVE-2017-5754): At this time, NVIDIA has no reason to believe that Shield TV/tablet is vulnerable to this variant.

The language is clear. They have released updates for it and will work with partners to further strengthen mitigations. If they have to strengthen their current mitigations then it is clear that they are affected. There would be no reason for the distinct language difference between Spectre and meltdown if all they did was "play it safe and update just in case".

They also released this:

• Variant 1 (CVE-2017-5753): Software mitigations for the Arm CPU issue are provided with the security update included in this bulletin. NVIDIA expects to work together with its ecosystem partners as future updates are released to further strengthen mitigations for the potentially affected CPU.

• Variant 2 (CVE-2017-5715): Software mitigations for the Arm CPU issue are provided with the security update included in this bulletin. NVIDIA expects to work together with its ecosystem partners as future updates are released to further strengthen mitigations for the potentially affected CPU.

• Variant 3 (CVE-2017-5754): NVIDIA believes that Jetson TX2 is not vulnerable to this variant.

• Variant 3a (CVE-2017-5754): Based on Arm's Security Update, NVIDIA has no reason to believe that Jetson TX2 needs software mitigations for this variant.

36 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Nvidia's risk is extremely low for Spectre so unfortunately for them that warrants a joke about it or two. You've got companies trying to develop microcode updates for effected products which is taking a significant amount of time and effort, which this project is unlikely to immediately help with that, yet they are helping increase the risk of exploitation.

Totally agree that the risk is smaller for Nvidia than everyone else, but this is a research project by a university.

Not to mention that all the processors Nvidia users for their servers and other equipment are vulnerable too. The more vulnerabilities they find, the more vulnerable their own equipment is too.

So in order for this conspiracy theory to make any sense you have to believe that:

1) Nvidia are willing to spend time and money harming their competitors in the short term, even though it will benefit everyone in the world long-term.

2) Nvidia has managed to get a university in on it.

3) That Nvidia are so willing to harm Intel and AMD, that they would be willing to put their own equipment at risk.

4) Not just put their own equipment like their factories at risk, but also their own customers that uses things like their Tegra chips (which is a large amount of cars, among other things).

Seems like a fairly big stretch to me.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The language is clear. They have released updates for it and will work with partners to further strengthen mitigations. If they have to strengthen their current mitigations then it is clear that they are affected. There would be no reason for the distinct language difference between Spectre and meltdown if all they did was "play it safe and update just in case".

It wasn't really that clear in the same statement linked.

Jetson TX2 integrates Arm-based (CPU) processors that may, in certain circumstances, benefit from software mitigations to reduce the risk of the exploits identified in the Google Project Zero disclosure. For more information, refer to the Arm Security Update.

This bulletin addresses NVIDIA software updates for Jetson TX2 to mitigate aspects of the potential CPU vulnerabilities.

That's a bit far from a "We are affected by Spectre confirmation" in my view.

Edit:

Like not all ARM architectures are vulnerable to Spectre so a solid yes/no would be much better than "Eh maybe?"

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Seems like a fairly big stretch to me.

That's why I said it was mostly sarcasm, most people are thinking it and I'll happily take that opportunity to make a well timed joke about it. It's not like Nvidia is actually going to do something to jeopardize the host systems they rely on to work or the business relationship with Intel for example.

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

Yes, they did. Because not only is that standard business practice in situations like this, but no one can expect the tech industry to just stop and wait to see what happens next.

this affected AMD, Intel and ARM. It's hard to think they all knew and kept going, for me at least. 

6 minutes ago, asus killer said:

this affected AMD, Intel and ARM. It's hard to think they all knew and kept going, for me at least. 

It's very well documented that this was the case, same story with the massive Intel IME security flaw. Product sales in the tech space generally don't stop for security issues.

44 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's very well documented that this was the case, same story with the massive Intel IME security flaw. Product sales in the tech space generally don't stop for security issues.

ok if you tell me it's well documented that is another story, i had no idea that has the case

13 minutes ago, asus killer said:

ok if you tell me it's well documented that is another story, i had no idea that has the case

Google said it informed the affected companies about the Spectre flaw on 1 June 2017 and later reported the Meltdown flaw before 28 July 2017. Both Intel and Google said they were planning to release details of the flaws on 9 January, when they said more fixes would be available, but that their hand had been forced after early reports led to Intel stock falling by 3.4% on Wednesday.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/04/meltdown-spectre-worst-cpu-bugs-ever-found-affect-computers-intel-processors-security-flaw

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

ok, i taught you meant to say they knew from the start (i guess this affected cpu's from 2007 at least). 

I think that was bad, but there was a press blackout as to access the issue and try and get a fix before everyone knew and potential hackers could exploit it. If they stopped selling cpus all together in that blackout period i think the cure would be worst then the decease. There would simply not be a cpu to buy, a cell phone, a laptop, a desktop,... and no one could know why. I think it would have been impractical to stop selling them even if they knew by then.

6 minutes ago, asus killer said:

If they stopped selling cpus all together in that blackout period i think the cure would be worst then the decease.

all processors are affected both new and old even processors from 20 years ago are affected by Spectre and Meltdown including that awful Pentium 4 and Pentium D. That’s like asking Microsoft to stop selling their Surface PCs because of an embarrassing Windows Hello vulnerability or asking Apple to stop selling the iPhone X because FaceID can be bypassed by a well made mask or an identical twin. 

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

If what I have been reading recently is anything accurate.  Despite their best efforts they are not going to produce a flawless chip (without going back tot he dark ages of CPU design) and we are fucked anyway. 

Here's to positive thinking and not being a fatalist.

Well, consider that such OoO CPUs with Speculative Excecution are, by design, excecuting code of their own accord to some extent, one could say such a design was never a great idea from a pure security standpoint. However, reliance on such performance gains is great enough that aside from specialty applications, losing the performance would be far too painful a hit to consider. 

Spectre (or any other related flaw) will probably be one of those possibilities we'll have to live with and what we're now aware of. Unless we can push some 8+ GHz on in-order cores, I don't see that changing anytime even in the distant future. For the Tin Foil Hat folks, solutions already exist (Raspberry Pi) for instances where security is required such as checking bank info.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Of course Nvidia helps develop something that will not impact themselves in a single way but screw over other major technology companies, only 50% sarcasm btw.

it technically does impact their desktop GPU market somewhat. If no one can securely have a PC, then they won't buy a PC, which means they won't have a GPU.

If anything they are doing this to make sure the CPU companies push out a REAL, proper fix for the issue... perhaps what you said is also part of the reason but on a large scale, it does affect them a bit

this is also UNLESS they are about to drop a Desktop CPU lineup on everyone. which would be quite a shock.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

If what I have been reading recently is anything accurate.  Despite their best efforts they are not going to produce a flawless chip (without going back tot he dark ages of CPU design) and we are fucked anyway. 

Here's to positive thinking and not being a fatalist.

Double toast via phone...

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I know Intel has done some scummy things over the year, but Nvidia is an outright evil empire at this point. Actively working to give criminals tools to steal data from you. That's even worse than their proprietary vendor locked in overpriced crap.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

15 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

NVIDIA, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN US?!

<---- Petition to add NVIDIA to the list of unapproved companies 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

15 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Maybe NVIDIA is planning to make their own desktop processors just like Intel is making their own dGPUs.

I've heard that Nvidia wants to replace cpus with gpus entirely 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

6 hours ago, asus killer said:

ok, i taught you meant to say they knew from the start (i guess this affected cpu's from 2007 at least). 

I think that was bad, but there was a press blackout as to access the issue and try and get a fix before everyone knew and potential hackers could exploit it. If they stopped selling cpus all together in that blackout period i think the cure would be worst then the decease. There would simply not be a cpu to buy, a cell phone, a laptop, a desktop,... and no one could know why. I think it would have been impractical to stop selling them even if they knew by then.

exactly.  When you hear people complaining they should have stopped selling, you are basically hearing from people who either want money from a law suit or fanboys who just hate for the sake of hate.  There are very logical reasons why ALL companies continue business as normal.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

I've heard that Nvidia wants to replace cpus with gpus entirely 

Are they citing end of Moore’s law as well? 

2 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Are they citing end of Moore’s law as well? 

Pretty sure yea

here: https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-ceo-says-moores-law-is-dead-and-gpus-will-replace-cpus/

Edited by Shreyas1
Added link

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

Would it be considered dead if Intel can manage 1 nm transistors?

I doubt they even could if they tried

I think the whole transistor concept will die soon 

Edited by Shreyas1

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

20 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

While NVIDIA develops their own x86/64 processor that is free from Spectre and Meltdown. 

You think Intel will actually license x86 to Nvidia? Unless they get ordered to (anti-trust protections have become a joke so I doubt it)... I don’t see why they would...

Unless something big changes, only Intel, AMD, and VIA can make x86-based CPUs.

They could try to make a completely novel architecture/instruction set but that would be a massive hurdle and require every OS/program to be completely rewritten which I just don’t see happening any time soon.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.