Seeking eGPU Master Advice

OKAY. 

So after posting this question on numerous forums I've decided to come here.(To the realm of the mastas).

I've never done a eGPU setup so bare with me if I sound like a total idiot. 

System: 

Acer Predator Helios 300 - PH317-51

1060 6gb + i7 7700hq (irrelevant!) 

BIOs unlocked

Quest: 

To seek the holy grail...

& to add a eGPU solution to my Helios without having that ugly wire sticking out of it.. Basically make a plug n play connection point for an eGPU rig. 

Here's my thoughts.. 

M.2 Key M to HD Mini SAS card adapter in my laptop (the HD Mini SAS is pCIE x4 passthrough) to a HD Mini SAS or M.2 eGPU rig. 

EGPU rig: 

http://www.hwtools.net/adapter/PE4C V4.1.html

Laptop M.2 to HD Mini SAS passthrough: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01D8F9JAK/ref=psd_mlt_nbc_B018GHPU6W_pr

EGPU rig conversion hardware: 

http://www.microsatacables.com/mini-sas-hd-sff-8643-to-pci-e-gen-3-4-lanes-slot-adapter-with-open-end-connector

I've read up a lot on HD Mini SAS connections and they are 100% pin for pin pass through with pcie x4 connections. 

My idea would be to have the m.2 adapter in the laptop and run a male to female HD Mini SAS wire to the laptops chasis and create a "port" using the HD Mini SAS female connection. 

From there have another cord that connects to the HD Mini SAS to pcie gen 3 x4 which the egpu would plug into. 

I've read that having adapters for an egpu setup is not a good thing but for this connection type being pass through (pin for pin) the only degradation of performance from the components I can see is the length of the setup... 

(P.S. I plan to make cables etc shorter so travel distance is less then 1 foot total and I've seen egpu setups with more then that.)

Is there something I'm not seeing? I don't see anyone else using this connector and I think it's strange since it could easily be modded to a laptop rig for plug n play. 

I'm hovering the purchase button to give this a go (posting pics also).... I think if it works it could be a nice solution to messy egpu DIY setups. 

Thoughts?? 

THANKS GUYS!!! 

You already have a 1060 6GB in there. If you need more GPU power, just buy a desktop.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Hello,

The main issue I see here is that you already have a GTX 1060 in the laptop, whatever GPU you add would probably give you equal to or just a little bit better performance. I personally do not think eGPU's are worth it at the moment, wait until 4th Gen PCI-E.

I do not see the point in doing this, save your money.

1 minute ago, Encrypt said:

Hello,

The main issue I see here is that you already have a GTX 1050ti in the laptop, the GTX 1060 would probably give you equal to or just a little bit better performance.

I have a 1060 in the laptop. 

I've seen benchmarks of a 1080 against the TB3 vs m.2 keym and the m.2 beats TB3. (15 k to 17k firestrike)

My 1060 hits 10900 firestrike.... Would this not be an upgrade? 

I could also dedicate PHYSX to the 1060 and use the eGPU for all other tasks for a higher boost.... No? 

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

You already have a 1060 6GB in there. If you need more GPU power, just buy a desktop.

I have a desktop, this is more for fun than anything. 

Do you mean I would not get a performance increase beyond my 1060s capabilities? E.G.. 1080 ti? 

I just want to know if it's possible and what's the downside to this setup compared to a direct m.2 key m connection. 

"Needing" is not the issue here. 

2 minutes ago, HotelHero said:

I've seen benchmarks of a 1080 against the TB3 vs m.2 keym and the m.2 beats TB3. (15 k to 17k firestrike)

I could also dedicate PHYSX to the 1060 and use the eGPU for all other tasks for a higher boost.... No? 

I've corrected my mistake (GTX 1060), that is true but it doesn't seem to be worth doing as you wouldn't get much performance out of it, depending on the GPU, but if money isn't a problem then go for it!!!!!!!!! Also, firestrike doesn't mean real world performance, I'd search up for tests online for the use cases what you use your Laptop for.

Just now, Encrypt said:

I've corrected my mistake (GTX 1060), that is true but it doesn't seem to be worth doing as you wouldn't get much performance out of it, depending on the GPU, but if money isn't a problem then go for it!!!!!!!!! Also, firestrike doesn't mean real world performance, I'd search up for tests online for the use cases what you use your Laptop for.

I totally get the performance thing. I have a desktop with 1080 ti etc etc etc... 

This is basically for anyone else who sets up a egpu solution to have plug n play capabilities.. I'm just gonna pioneer it. 

Just trying to make sure there won't be anything hindering performance in addition to the pcie x4

5 minutes ago, HotelHero said:

I totally get the performance thing. I have a desktop with 1080 ti etc etc etc... 

This is basically for anyone else who sets up a egpu solution to have plug n play capabilities.. I'm just gonna pioneer it. 

Just trying to make sure there won't be anything hindering performance in addition to the pcie x4

There will be a performance drop probably 20%, as you will be running off of 4 lanes and it's M.2 (31.5 Gb/s (3.9 GB/s) ) so no M.2 drive.:(

Also depends if you output to your laptop monitor or an external one.  More info https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/831808-m2-x4-egpu-dock-fastest-external-laptop-gpu/

Sources

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Overview-of-M-2-SSDs-586/

29 minutes ago, Encrypt said:

Hello,

The main issue I see here is that you already have a GTX 1060 in the laptop, whatever GPU you add would probably give you equal to or just a little bit better performance. I personally do not think eGPU's are worth it at the moment, wait until 4th Gen PCI-E.

Was just reading through this thread... I'm thinking PCI-E 3rd gen is fast enough but the thunderbolt 3 connection isn't quick enough to handle the throughput. If that's the case, Thunderbolt 4 right? 

Ok.... A bit off topic here... 

Lets just pretend I have NO gpu and I want a egpu using the HD Mini SAS connections like in my OP. 

Is there a performance or compatibility issue with it? (in terms of initial connection to end point... Not of the overall pcie x4 gen 3.

10 hours ago, HotelHero said:

I have a desktop, this is more for fun than anything. 

Do you mean I would not get a performance increase beyond my 1060s capabilities? E.G.. 1080 ti? 

Yes.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yes.

Would this setup for work those with less then a 1060?

2 hours ago, HotelHero said:

Would this setup for work those with less then a 1060?

Maybe. IMO, eGPUs are only good if you have a laptop with integrated graphics and a Thunderbolt port. 

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

15 hours ago, HotelHero said:

Having a PHYSX card really doesn't yield much performance.

24 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Maybe. IMO, eGPUs are only good if you have a laptop with integrated graphics and a Thunderbolt port. 

Any good enclosures for a MacBook Pro perhaps? I need ideas as well.

On 2/20/2018 at 11:20 AM, kelvinhall05 said:

I have integrated. 

M.2 key m has been benchmarked higher then thunderbolt 3.