Learning to drive ( poll )

Eduard the weeb

Learning to drive  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you learn to drive

• Just did it
    • Parents/Guardian taught me
    • Learned how through books and shit
  2. 2. Do you need that book the DMV sells you ?

• Yeah
    • No

Okay so in a few months I'm can and plan on getting my learners permit so I wanted to ask how you recommend to learn it and stuff.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Hmm, me too. I was going to take my driver's knowledge test this April. Just have your parents teach you. If you have the money to, then go to a driving school.

I would ask for some lessons from your parents and read the road code for the proper road rules, because you will be tested.

For the most part its just simply practice. I had around the recommended 100 hours on the road before going to my restricted test (In NZ Learners is just a simple test, not anything on the road tested (Thats when you get your restricted)

You need the DMV's Driver handbook to understand traffic laws and what the signs and color means.

I'd probably recommend as well driving on the highway just to get used to it. Absolutely no pressure and you can practice changing lanes and switching a few gears. Pretty much 90% of driving there and done. Just keep calm and remember most of the rules are common sense like give way to the right.

Depending on where you live there's DMV apps that are identical to the written test. You don't need a book, you learn it all and in a better method with the app. Basically just get through the written portion and get a parent or guardian to mentor you with driving and laws. The way I word these statements takes caution because people will interpret me wrong. The book covers the laws and regulations, not the actual road. There are endless situations and you cannot just go by a book, you have to go by experience and the only way to do that is by learning from a driver - a responsible one of course. I'd recommend using an app or if there is none, then read the book. But go by what your parents or guardians say first, because they know the roads youre on more than the book does 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

can't i pick multiple answers? i go to driving course and my dad help me while i'm learning

common sense is the way to go in driving though. once you know how the steering wheel works (which is very easy) everything is a walk in a park

just don't panic

58 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Okay so in a few months I'm can and plan on getting my learners permit so I wanted to ask how you recommend to learn it and stuff.

Just drive and practice parallel parking.

I would see if you can find an older copy of the DMV book from a friend or relative because you will need to know about road signs and not just the obvious ones. Some traffic lights are also not obvious. For example, do you know what this means?

photos.medleyphoto.9108181.jpg

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

The book that the DMV, etc, sells isn’t just about the common sense basics. It also covers things like all the road sign meanings, but more importantly, some of the laws. 

Depending on where you live, you’ll be expected to know some of the common road laws to write the test. 

You should practice yourself (with a capable driver with you), but also you should take a certified defensive driver training course. You’ll likely learn things your parents don’t even know. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The book the DMV has, will have every answer on the test in the book, that is 110% guarunteed.

If you have any other book, you are gambling.

Its all common sense.

Also please learn to drive standard shift.

4 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I would see if you can find an older copy of the DMV book from a friend or relative because you will need to know about road signs and not just the obvious ones. Some traffic lights are also not obvious. For example, do you know what this means?

I've only seen traffic lights like that for street trains, which means they don't apply to vehicles.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I've only seen traffic lights like that for street trains, which means they don't apply to vehicles.

In British Columbia at least, it's a transit priority signal (i.e. buses). These still show up so people need to know what they are for. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

17 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

In British Columbia at least, it's a transit priority signal (i.e. buses). These still show up so people need to know what they are for. 

Odd. I've only seen lights like that in Germany for the strassenbahn.

My parents taught me how to drive before my road hours began at the DMV. 

Learning to drive a manual was a different experience. My father taught me the basics in a parking lot across the street from my house for about 20 minutes. then he got out and walked home telling me that he would see me in an hour and not to come home before that. 

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

11 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I'd probably recommend as well driving on the highway just to get used to it. Absolutely no pressure and you can practice changing lanes and switching a few gears. Pretty much 90% of driving there and done. Just keep calm and remember most of the rules are common sense like give way to the right.

Ehm, what?

Driving on the highway is by far the easiest part of driving. It's the slow city driving that will be the difficult part. Lots of things to keep track of, lots of starts and breaks, controlling the clutch and so on.

Also, if you're in Sweden (which I think I recall you being) then I would recommend the books from the DMV, or some other up to date studying guide specifically made for passing drivers tests.

In Sweden (don't know about other countries) there are A LOT of non-driving related things you need to know in order to pass the written test. I had some question about which type of green-house gas was reduced/removed by which type of filter in the car. How age affects reaction time. How to drive in the most eco-efficient way.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Also, if you're in Sweden (which I think I recall you being) then I would recommend the books from the DMV, or some other up to date studying guide specifically made for passing drivers tests.

In Sweden (don't know about other countries) there are A LOT of non-driving related things you need to know in order to pass the written test. I had some question about which type of green-house gas was reduced/removed by which type of filter in the car. How age affects reaction time. How to drive in the most eco-efficient way.

i just completed my lisence last week here in Sweden, the theory test will definatly require you to have the book or some other source for the studying.

most trafic schools offer an online theory service too, just get the basic version of that though seeing as with the premium one you dont get the book and that really fucked me over because the online material is garbage compared to it.

i passed with a 58/65 on the theory, and the online mockup tests really helped with that, the online theory material sure didnt -_- was a bunch of shitty videos with cringey people and questions that didnt have an answer in the texts and videos even, so get the book for the theory and not the online.

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Ehm, what?

Driving on the highway is by far the easiest part of driving. It's the slow city driving that will be the difficult part. Lots of things to keep track of, lots of starts and breaks, controlling the clutch and so on.

im such a wuss that thats the part im the most nervous doing even though its pretty easy tbh :/

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Also please learn to drive standard shift.

If the OP has a specific interest in driving manual, then yes. Otherwise it's an entirely useless skill in 2018. Driving manual is "for fun" now, as almost every vehicle comes standard with an Automatic transmission now, and there's absolutely no shortage of good condition used auto's also.

8 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

As Blue mentioned, it's a light that tells a transit bus that they can proceed, while all other vehicles still get a red light. It's one solution to help ease transit delays due to bad traffic. It's starting to become more common in bigger cities.

8 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

^ yep

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Ehm, what?

Some people have a fear about driving on the highway because of the speeds involved. Yes, it's "easier" in the sense that for 99% of the time, you're literally just driving straight, maintaining your current speed, and not much else. But that higher speed can make a lot of people anxious.

Stop and go is definitely more challenging - doubly so if you're using a manual, but manuals are far less common in North America.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Depending on your location, you shouldnt need to buy it. New York actually offers it free online.

https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/drivers-manual-practice-tests

Manual Transmission / Stick shift is not a necessary requirement, unless you're an active member in the car thread :P 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

you don't need the book... but it will help you pass the test especially for the answers that are super specific like: "How many feet to turn on turn signal before approaching a turn"

Most people just do it when it feels about right... but it's like 250 feet or something iirc and they want the specific on the test.

And I think for your first car, you should get a manual. learn it, it will help you really learn how to drive. keep you off your phone and such. it really helps me pay more attention and stuff because I have more to do, and not paying attention is probably the biggest causer of accidents today.

everyone always says "I didn't see him" after it happens....

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

As Blue mentioned, it's a light that tells a transit bus that they can proceed, while all other vehicles still get a red light. It's one solution to help ease transit delays due to bad traffic. It's starting to become more common in bigger cities.

Then regular traffic still isn't paying attention to that light, they're paying attention to their own?

Did learn through a driving school. I didn't do much to pass the written test on the first try.  I failed the driving test the first time but passed the second.

I think people should make a driving test every ~10-15 years because I only drive once a year now. I still can drive but I am not very confident and would never reverse into a parking space.

I'm unsure how similar it is to learn to drive in the UK and US but this is my experience. 

Our test is split into 2 sections, a theory part and a practical part. 

Theory is split into questions and a hazard perception test. For both, I just went online and did a bunch of practise tests. 

For the practical part, I had a driver instructor who taught me like 10 hours total and I sat the exam. To be fair, I already knew how to "drive" so I only really needed practise. Having a good instructor when practising is good idea as they'll try to make sure you don't develop any bad habits from the get go. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

13 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

photos.medleyphoto.9108181.jpg

All seeing eye is watching you. It mean anything else.

In my country you don't even have to read the book to past the test. Also I took my first driving lesson today and it was hella fun though my instructor was kinda surprised that I can drive so well for a novice lol (Racing sims for the win *fist pumps)

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Read the book they give you, the learners permit test is all written (at least when I took it) and they ask super specific and obscure questions that are only found in that book. I thought I could breeze through it but failed my first attempt because I didn't know the questions on bicycles.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂