Intel get hit with a 5 Billion Dollar Class Action Lawsuit from the City of Providence, RI

ItsMitch

Well, looks like Intel's lawyers will be having a fun time in court, Source of the day is Patently Apple (Website revolves around Apple's IP) 

Yes this post will be long, get a drink and sit down my friends, it'll be a very long ride. 

Intel is now facing 30 active lawsuits for it's critical bugs with Spector and Meltdown and the latest lawsuit which has been filed in the Northern District Court of California by the lovely City of Providence, Rhode Island. Intel has recently confirmed in it's investor filing that it's facing the lawsuit. Let's get into the gritty details of the suit. While the court documents have been published, I'm unable to review them due to them being locked behind PACER and I'm not really wanting to spend $50 to view it. 

The CoP is gunning for 8 classes against Intel Corp

City of Providence: Causes for Action

Count 1: Violation of California's Unfair Competition Law

Count 2: Violation of the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act

Count 3: Violation of Rhode Island's Unfair Competition Law

Count 4: Violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Count 5: Breach of Implied Warranty

Count 6: Breach of Express Warranty of Marketability

Count 7: Unjust Enrichment

Count 8: Negligence

Yeah, they're gunning for a lot of claims in the suit and they do aim to use Intel's marketing against them but this many counts is just ridiculous in my eyes, 

CoP started their paperwork with this

"This is a consumer protection action seeking injunctive relief and damages arising from Defendant Intel's sale of defective microprocessor chips to Plaintiff and Class Members for over twenty-three (23) years. Intel's microprocessor chips are defective because they possess significant security vulnerabilities that, if exploited, permit an adversary to access sensitive data stored elsewhere on the machine or in the "cloud." Defendant has been aware of these issues since at least June 2017, and thus far, is unable to offer consumers who purchased devices containing defective microprocessor chips that possess the significant security vulnerabilities described herein ("Affected Devices") an effective remedy.

Intel's primary business is the manufacture, sale, and supply of microprocessors for computer system manufacturers like Apple, Lenovo, HP, Dell, among others. Intel also manufactures motherboard chipsets, network interface controllers and integrated circuits, flash memory, graphics chips, embedded processors and other devices related to communications and computing. In 2016, Intel reported full-year revenue of $59.4 billion.

Intel's marketing scheme emphasizes its cutting-edge processor speed and security. Defendant repeatedly makes public representations that its machines meet certain performance metrics and possess security features embedded in the hardware, which provided "robust, vulnerability-resistant platforms." For example, on July 11, 2017, Intel unveiled its "powerful" new Xeon Scalable processor, which broke "58 world [performance] records and counting," and was designed to offer businesses "security without compromise" while providing support to "an expanding range of existing and emerging data center, and network workloads, including cloud computing, high-performance computing and artificial intelligence." Similarly on January 19, 2016, Intel unveiled its then new 6th Gen Intel Core vPro processor for "full business productivity with up to 2.5 times the performance," which "lock[ed] the PC's Virtual Front Door with More than Password Protection."

Unbeknownst to consumers purchasing Affected Devices, Defendant's microprocessors were defectively designed, exposing Plaintiff and Class Members' sensitive information to adversaries through at least two types of security vulnerabilities, dubbed "Meltdown" and "Spectre."

From this they're coming out the doors swinging at Intel by bringing up that all of their CPU's from 2016 came with "Security without compromise" and that they failed to disclose to the customers that there was an exploit within the chip. 

Later in the paperwork CoP began to use Intel's marketing as a spear to attack their only line of defence and I mean, they're right, Intel did promise that it's the most secure platform. 

chrome_2018-02-20_00-05-49.png

Later in the court filing, the Plaintiff uses Intel's own ads against them. Although the lawsuit pointed to 6 particular ads, we present two of them as noted above. The Plaintiff added the following in their complaint in relation to the ads:

"Intel regularly touts the security of its processors in its marketing materials. For example, Intel advertises that its processors offer "Data Protection with Hardware-assisted Security" and ensures "data protection through innovation." In one instance, Intel emphasizes a "key component" of its approach to security is "providing more robust, vulnerability-resistant platforms. Security features are embedded in the hardware of Intel® processors, including three of Intel's newest server processors – the Intel® Xeon® processor E3 v3 family, the Intel® Xeon® processor E5 family, and the Intel® Xeon® processor E7 family, as well as the latest generation Intel® Core™ vPro™ processors." Intel's advertisements routinely focus on security measures built into its processors.

In June 2017, Intel learned its microprocessors suffered from several defects that allowed adversaries to access secure consumer data. These defects, colloquially known as Meltdown and Spectre, rendered Affected Devices unfit for their intended use."

At this rate they're just trying to go for the jugular and get this in and out of the courts as soon as possible. While I don't have access to the document (I might be able to get it soon tm)

Closing Thoughts

To be honest, I just dunno what to say, yes Intel could of been more transparent and worked faster in it's platform and just halt any kind of processors launches until it's fully fixed but then Intel would of lost a lot of money from it. Any Rhode Island member of this forum can join in the suit somehow INALY. 

All the information is currently on PACER MONITOR's website which you can view but you'll need a subscription to view the document https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/23691877/City_of_Providence_v_Intel_Corp

Intel's last filings can be found here: https://s21.q4cdn.com/600692695/files/doc_financials/2017/Q4/INTC-Q4Y17-10K.pdf

Have fun, be kind, don't be a dickhead to eachother.

2 minutes ago, LordofGangsters said:

There isn't 5 billion dollars total in Rhode Island.

Savage mother fucker I can't breathe 

1 minute ago, LordofGangsters said:

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

Savage mother fucker

Honestly though, it was like two or three years ago the wealthiest resident wanted to move to a different state and it really messed up their tax situation. The one guy was pretty much personally funding the entire state just from his tax money

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

3 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Count 1: Violation of California's Unfair Competition Law

wait but its Rhode island not Cali so that means there legislature didn't pass that so why does it affect them?

5 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Count 8: Negligence

Not really sure if you really can call negligence because no one knew this was a problem until google right ?

anyway I just want to say not to well versed in law so yeah lol. ( be gentle plz)

But Idk if all these law suits are really necessary but you do you I guess 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Assuming every single person in Rhode Island purchased an effected Intel CPU and joined the class action, and were awarded the full amount, it would be $5000 per person.

Just now, Eduard the weeb said:

wait but its Rhode island not Cali so that means there legislature didn't pass that so why does it affect them?

10 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

It was filed in Cali's courts, don't ask me ;( 

I think before we come to any drastic conclusions, people want to get the most money they can out of this and it may come to that. We should see how this lawsuit actually pans out. 5 Billion is obviously a very large number to be throwing round. I think calling them 'Defectively Designed' is a bit of a stretch. Maybe the newer processors that have come out without the fix recently, but when in 2016 no one knew about the vulnerabilities its a bit harsh.

Not good for stock prices certianly, I think Intel's CEO will be in hot water for that certianly.

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

. I think calling them 'Defectively Designed' is a bit of a stretch. Maybe the newer processors that have come out without the fix recently, but when in 2016 no one knew about the vulnerabilities its a bit harsh.

They could argue that the newest ones, what is it, Coffee lake? or what the fuck it is was defective since it came out just as Intel was informed of the vulnerability

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Not good for stock prices certianly, I think Intel's CEO will be in hot water for that certianly.

Last time I checked he still is in hot water since the stocks haven't really been that impressive and haven't regained it's stability and I bet for sure that investors are getting concerned

chrome_2018-02-20_00-29-30.png 

*Registers article was the one that broke the problems. 

Intel is in hot water with a lot of law suits, but why isn't AMD getting any lawsuits? AMD also have same types of vulnerability in their chips.

Just now, NQSD said:

Intel is in hot water with a lot of law suits, but why isn't AMD getting any lawsuits? AMD also have same types of vulnerability in their chips.

They wasn't hit that badly compared to Intel, AMD only had 1** defect but it's extremely difficult to pull off while Intel had all 3 of them. 

** One bug was patched via OS patch

5 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

They could argue that the newest ones, what is it, Coffee lake? or what the fuck it is was defective since it came out just as Intel was informed of the vulnerability

Last time I checked he still is in hot water since the stocks haven't really been that impressive and haven't regained it's stability and I bet for sure that investors are getting concerned

chrome_2018-02-20_00-29-30.png 

*Registers article was the one that broke the problems. 

I wonder if this correlates to any Nicholas Cage movies as well... (If you've seen the swimming pool graph, you'll get it).

Hm, I wonder if there is a reason they seem to wait until they recover a little before speaking them with this.

Mean while, there seems to be a plot against AMD sticks as every investment thing I read days to stay away from them... Hmm.. I smell future conspiracy theory.

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

I wonder if this correlates to any Nicholas Cage movies as well... (If you've seen the swimming pool graph, you'll get it).

Hm, I wonder if there is a reason they seem to wait until they recover a little before speaking them with this.

Mean while, there seems to be a plot against AMD sticks as every investment thing I read days to stay away from them... Hmm.. I smell future conspiracy theory.

Oh boy, even more hardware conspiracy.

6 minutes ago, NQSD said:

Intel is in hot water with a lot of law suits, but why isn't AMD getting any lawsuits?

AMD would only give you $20 per CPU before going bankrupt. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

pLEasE dOnT mAkE cONspIRaciEs pLEaSe yOu tRIGGer lINuS tEcH tIpS   /s

that was aids to type out but srs, buy low, sell high but I dont think it's a conspiracy. 

If there's anything that would risk setting us back a decade in cpu performance, it will probably be the courts.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

If AMD can pull the rumored 17% IPC lift and Intel has to spend billions in and fighting lawsuits we could be seeing the beginning of a massive CPU hierarchy shift.

46 minutes ago, NQSD said:

but why isn't AMD getting any lawsuits?

AMD (specifically CEO Lisa Su and CFO Devinder Kumar) were slapped with a  lawsuit recently.  I even made a post about it, though that one seems more like a greedy day trader who got burned and wanted to capitalize on the Spectre issue.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/887261-amd-sued-over-spectre-flaw/

Man if only it was that easy to sue Governments for their decades of blatant lies. Why do only corporations get to have fun in the courts, let's throw some at politicians for once, spread the love. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, NQSD said:

What can you get from AMD? 1$? :)

7 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

What can you get from AMD? 1$? :)

Isn't that their market cap? So even less.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 hours ago, LordofGangsters said:

Yet!

I have a feeling that most of the claims will be dismissed without much trouble. 

They'd need to prove intent. And since the flaws affect pretty much all modern processors, they also can’t single out Intel as incompetent. 

This will be to follow. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

pLEasE dOnT mAkE cONspIRaciEs pLEaSe yOu tRIGGer lINuS tEcH tIpS   /s

that was aids to type out but srs, buy low, sell high but I dont think it's a conspiracy. 

I thought the sarcasm was implied. I don't do tinfoil.

Lol.

Will any of these lawsuits actually come to fruition? It's a bit weird seeing a class action lawsuit from a government entity and not some shady lawyer. (Unless I'm mistaken)