is this a true HDR monitor for under $300? and other monitor questions

General Winter

i never had an HDR monitor before but i found a LG 29WK600-W which claims to have HDR10, freesync, and is a wide 29" (can i run two screens at once, i never had an ultra wide but i'd love to have both my PC ultitly and console gaming side by side)

i have also heard some companies like dell say their monitors have HDR but its not actually HDR for 300 something vs. 10K or 1K for HDR standard nits; i need a refresher on that

with this together is this a solid under $300 monitor, i haven't seen too many reviews but it seems promising other than the refresh rate which i can forgive since i'm not competitive anyway (freesync is better than none on my current monitor, which is locked at 60hz but i've had no luck getting it to 120hz as some people say they do)

To do HDR10 it must be able to cover the REC 2020 colour space and be a true 10 bit panel according to wikipedia.  I'm not sure about the minimum required brightness and contrast but I think even just based on being 10 bit this would be disqualified since I highly doubt you can get  areal 10 bit panel for $300

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

To do HDR10 it must be able to cover the REC 2020 colour space and be a true 10 bit panel according to wikipedia.  I'm not sure about the minimum required brightness and contrast but I think even just based on being 10 bit this would be disqualified since I highly doubt you can get  areal 10 bit panel for $300

i edited my post to bold the monitor model but since you missed it; LG 29WK600-W 

1 minute ago, General Winter said:

i edited my post to bold the monitor model but since you missed it; LG 29WK600-W 

I did see that, but it turns out it's even worse than I thought.  Not only is it not 10 bit but it's not even 8 bit xD

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29WK600-W-ultrawide-monitor

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, General Winter said:

can you explain?

A picture is worth 1000 words

maxresdefault.jpg

But this page explains what the monitor you picked will do (6 bit + FRC) if you scroll down to under the black squares

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Can we all appreciate the irony that the image itself is 8bpc? :P

It's relative and for illustrative purposes since obviously you can't show something better than your current screen can display

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

A picture is worth 1000 words

maxresdefault.jpg

But this page explains what the monitor you picked will do (6 bit + FRC) if you scroll down to under the black squares

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

hmm this seems like one of those black and white images (reminds me of those screenshots where they make 60hz look like 15hz to make 144hz+ seem extra good, i don't notice the difference more than i notice tearing, hence why i want freesync and quality images and graphics over higher refresh rates)

the link itself only explains the difference between 6 and 8 bit

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Can we all appreciate the irony that the image itself is 8bpc? :P

i knew there was something very off about this image

2 minutes ago, General Winter said:

hmm this seems like one of those black and white images (reminds me of those screenshots where they make 60hz look like 15hz to make 144hz+ seem extra good, i don't notice the difference more than i notice tearing, hence why i want freesync and quality images and graphics over higher refresh rates)

the link itself only explains the difference between 6 and 8 bit

If you want quality graphics the monitor you posted is a terrible choice. As for the difference from 6 to 8, the same concept applies going from 8 to 10, and my point is that HDR is supposed to be 10 bit and the monitor you listed is 6 so it's not going to do a satisfactory job of that at all.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you want quality graphics the monitor you posted is a terrible choice. As for the difference from 6 to 8, the same concept applies going from 8 to 10, and my point is that HDR is supposed to be 10 bit and the monitor you listed is 6 so it's not going to do a satisfactory job of that at all.

i've never even seen "HDR"

but apparently my current monitor has the color depth for it http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/qnix_qx2710.htm

4 minutes ago, General Winter said:

i knew there was something very off about this image

In short, it's the number of bits per channel color that are used.  Most desktop PC imaging has this level of color depth.  However the terms can be confusing.  In this context it's 8 bits per channel, but in desktop imaging it's often refered to as '24bit' or 'true color' but it's '24bits' as in the bits for all three color channels, so 8+8+8bits.  In short, there's 256 levels possible for each color channel.  At 6 bits per channel only affords 64 possible levels of color.  In comparison, 10bit affords 1024 possible levels of color for each channel with is 4x the precision.

In visual effects we'll go so far as 16 or 32bits per channel for image storage and most of the compositing is done at 32bits per channel.

4 minutes ago, General Winter said:

i've never even seen "HDR"

but apparently my current monitor has the color depth for it http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/qnix_qx2710.htm

That appears to be an 8 bit + FRC or perhaps a true 10 bit depending on the submodel, either of which are better than the average display on the market and much better than the LG you posted in the OP in terms of being able to do a wide range of colours in a pleasing way (no banding, etc.)

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That appears to be an 8 bit + FRC or perhaps a true 10 bit depending on the submodel, either of which are better than the average display on the market and much better than the LG you posted in the OP in terms of being able to do a wide range of colours in a pleasing way (no banding, etc.)

my model only has DVI D/VGA and an HDMI out; also i've been having a lot of issues whenever i tried OC this to 120hz as in it works for a bit and then it acts like i never OC it

2 minutes ago, General Winter said:

my model only has DVI D/VGA and an HDMI out; also i've been having a lot of issues whenever i tried OC this to 120hz as in it works for a bit and then it acts like i never OC it

OC without dual link DVI or better isn't going to go very far. and even if i'm pretty sure you're using digital DVI i doubt you're using dual link. you have to have the pins in between the 2 groups for that.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

3 minutes ago, General Winter said:

it says "overclockable up to 120 hz" (actually that is amazing) so you might get that but probably not.  It's a lottery like any overclocking.

11 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

OC without dual link DVI or better isn't going to go very far. and even if i'm pretty sure you're using digital DVI i doubt you're using dual link. you have to have the pins in between the 2 groups for that.

i was told it would be noticeable on hdmi vs. dvi d, but even then its either a monitor issue or software issue with OC, it doesn't say anything it just stops working at 120hz

13 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

it says "overclockable up to 120 hz" (actually that is amazing) so you might get that but probably not.  It's a lottery like any overclocking.

its a korean monitor, there were plenty of these from 2014 though like you said, its a lottery more than a guarantee OC