Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trogdor8freebird

How do you tell if this case needs a low profile card or not?

measure the bracket, if its more than 10cm wide, thats a normal slot, if its 5-ish cm that's a half height / low profile slot.

or... just look at it and it instantly makes sense which of the two it is.

that said, this doesnt make any statement about internal room in the case, and potential power delivery and cooling capabilities.

EDIT: also, LOL @ that best buy price.

Posted · Original PosterOP

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4808734349675151089?q=hp pavilion desktop 510-p024&oq=hp pavilion desktop 510-p024

Friend of mine has that and wants a new graphics card, does he need a low profile one or will a small full sized card work? How do you tell?

"Epic quote is epic" - Me  | i7 7700k 4.3 GHz @ 1.270v | Asrock Z170 Extreme4 | 16GB 14CL 3000MHz DDR4 | RX 580 8GB | Mostly a console geek *gasp*

Your link doesnt work

Do you like tactical shooters? Play Project Reality for free!

Use Brave or tor browser to surf through the web! :x And don't forget to use DuckDuckGo or StartPage instead of Google!

itcoin accepting VPN services: NordVPN

itcoin accepting Computer Store in Europe: caseking and overclockers

Just now, Hip said:

Your link doesnt work

it does for me

"Epic quote is epic" - Me  | i7 7700k 4.3 GHz @ 1.270v | Asrock Z170 Extreme4 | 16GB 14CL 3000MHz DDR4 | RX 580 8GB | Mostly a console geek *gasp*

the PC is an HP Pavilion 510-p024

5 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

You =/ usimage.png.25fa69629688c748c6051e9e0c5f1441.png

image.png.65828c1706386e9ecd70df9bfcfce593.png

That's what I get ^

besides, doesn't really matter once you get the model number.

Posted · Best Answer

measure the bracket, if its more than 10cm wide, thats a normal slot, if its 5-ish cm that's a half height / low profile slot.

that said, this doesnt make any statement about internal room in the case, and potential power delivery and cooling capabilities.

EDIT: also, LOL @ that best buy price.

Just now, manikyath said:

By bracket, what specifically are you referring to?

1 minute ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

By bracket, what specifically are you referring to?

the bracket:

Image result for pcie bracket

low profile bracket and full size bracket.

Just now, manikyath said:

-Snip-

What if it doesn't have a graphics card?

Just now, Trogdor8freebird said:

your case has a cover bracket in it to close off the hole, or at least a hole to fit the card into.

13 minutes ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

We have one of those at my AV job for my church. It looked to me to be a full height system, but the PSU isn’t going to run a good GPU. 

POST THE SPECIFICATIONS OF YOUR COMPUTER IN YOUR QUESTION FOR EASIER HELP

Main Laptop: HP Envy M6 AE-151DX, Intel Core i5-5200u (Broadwell Dual Core), 8GB DDR3, Intel HD 5500 Graphics, 240GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SATA 6.0Gb/s and 64GB SanDisk MicroSD Card (secondary storage), Windows 10 Professional/ Linux Mint 18.3 MATE

ChromeBook: Gateway NV79, Intel Core i3-330M, 2GB DDR3, Integrated graphics, 80GB Seagate Barracuda, Neverware Cloudready

Folding Machine: Dell Vostro 260 MT, Intel Core i5-2400, 2GB DDR3 (broken DIMM slot), Intel HD 2000 Graphics, 80GB Seagate Barracuda, Linux Mint 18.3 MATE running Folding at Home on Full Power 24/7

Testing Desktop: Dell Inspiron 560 in a Compaq case, Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2220, 5GB DDR3, XFX RX 570 4GB (don't ask), 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Windows 8.1 Professional

Hackintosh: Dell OptiPlex 780 SFF Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3GHz Dual Core), 5GB DDR3 1066, GeForce 9500 GT 1GB Graphics, 500GB Samsung Spinpoint 2.5" HDD, Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Secondary Laptop: HP Pavilion G6 2233NR, Intel Core i3-2370M (Sandy Bridge Dual Core), 8GB DDR3, Intel HD 3000 Graphics, 320GB Toshiba 2.5" HDD, Windows 10 Professional (soon to be Mint 18.3/Windows 10/Windows 7)

Main Server: Dell OptiPlex 755 MT, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3GHz Dual Core), 8GB DDR2 800MHz, Radeon HD 4670 512MB Graphics, 60GB OCZ Vertex 2, Windows Server 2016 (I upgraded!)

Secondary Server: Dell OptiPlex 330 MT, Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 (2.53GHz Dual Core), 4GB DDR2 800Mhz, Intel Integrated Graphics, 500GB WD Caviar Blue, 500GB Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Greenpower, 500GB WD Caviar Green, FreeNAS

Online Machine: Paperspace, GPU+ Virtual Machine, Intel Xeon E5-2623 V4, 30GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M4000 8GB, 100GB SSD, Windows Server 2016

Another Server: HP Compaq DC7900 SFF, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.00GHz Dual core), 6GB DDR2 800MHz, Intel Integrated Graphics, 250GB WD Caviar Blue, Windows Server 2008 R2 (main OS)/Windows 7 Professional (other reasons)

I'd then guess that your motherboard doesn't have a PCI-E slot to put the motherboard in. That's usually how pre-builts do it.

As shown in this video, there is a dual-slot rear-IO cover - yet since it's not being used in that situation, Dell decided to go with a motherboard that didn't support it (because it wasn't needed).

So you'd most likely have to buy a new motherboard too.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Just now, Imbellis said:

I'd then guess that your motherboard doesn't have a PCI-E slot to put the motherboard in. That's usually how pre-builts do it.

It does have one, that's one of the first things I checked.

7 minutes ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

It does have one, that's one of the first things I checked.

Alright - that's a good (and unexpected) thing for your pre-built.

Regardless, you will have compatibility for a dual-slot, full height GPU; however, I'd really doubt you have compatibility for full length. From what I can tell, that's a mITX board - so you'd have around (6.9in/175mm) for a PCI-E card until you hit the 3.5" HDD mounts. I'd measure it yourself to confirm the length before you buy a card (that may not fit).

Of course, you could always use a Dremel or snips to cut it out, but some people aren't comfortable doing that.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Just now, Imbellis said:

-snip-

Understood, already had all that stuff covered beforehand. There's a reason why I ONLY asked about low profile vs. standard. Thanks for trying to help anyway. :)

3 minutes ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

Understood, already had all that stuff covered beforehand. There's a reason why I ONLY asked about low profile vs. standard. Thanks for trying to help anyway. :)

inverted motherboard, full slot pcie. Weird place to have the ATX cable, may conflict with 2 slot cards. Case has a full slot pcie.

Hamar motherboard top view