What fans to use with i7-8700k?

ErykYT3
Go to solution Solved by RollinLower,

well, then you don't need very high static pressure fans, because you only need to move the air instead of push it through a radiator. 

so yeah, BeQuiet Silentwings, Corsair ML120's or Arctic F12's are also very good options.

if you are looking for a cheaper but pretty sleek looking alternative Rosewill makes some of the best cheap fans in my opinion.

Now that I have a good idea of what kind of cooler I need for the 8700k, I was wondering what fans I should use alongside it.

The case is an NZXT S340 Elite.

Noctua NF-F12 or Corsair SP 120.

3 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

well, are you aircooling or watercooling, and what cooling config are you running if you are using a watercooler? or are you going full custom lop?

Sorry about that, Totally blanked. 

I'm planning to use air cooling with it.

I'm open to water cooling but I think it would be better to think about in the future if necessary.

I want to keep it simple and it's likely that the price of it would set me back a bit budget wise.

well, then you don't need very high static pressure fans, because you only need to move the air instead of push it through a radiator. 

so yeah, BeQuiet Silentwings, Corsair ML120's or Arctic F12's are also very good options.

if you are looking for a cheaper but pretty sleek looking alternative Rosewill makes some of the best cheap fans in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

Noctua NF-F12 or Corsair SP 120.

Would this really be enough for such a high-end CPU?   (remembers that there's an i9, rip)

Also, I would like for them to be RGB if that's possible, Not necessary but would add a nice touch.:)

Just now, ErykYT3 said:

Would this really be enough for such a high-end CPU?   (remembers that there's an i9, rip)

Also, I would like for them to be RGB if that's possible, Not necessary but would add a nice touch.:)

Sadly, they are not RGB but they are the best fans currently on the market, aspecially the Noctua NF-F12

if you want high performing RGB fans the ML120 RGB version or Thermal Takes RIING fans are good options with good lighting control.

also, NZXT makes nice RGB fans, but they can be a bit expensive.

2 minutes ago, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

Sadly, they are not RGB but they are the best fans currently on the market, aspecially the Noctua NF-F12

I've seen a lot of those, Do they come in other colours, I've seen some but are they the same model?

I've been looking for neutral coloured components due to the side panel in the S340 Elite and wanting everything to match.xD 

But I would obviously prefer lower temperatures rather than nicer visuals...

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

if you want high performing RGB fans the ML120 RGB version or Thermal Takes RIING fans are good options with good lighting control.

also, NZXT makes nice RGB fans, but they can be a bit expensive.

Well, it sure does increase the price...

I'll consider them in the future if I'm not happy with whichever fans I choose.

1 minute ago, ErykYT3 said:

Well, it sure does increase the price...

I'll consider them in the future if I'm not happy with whichever fans I choose.

Noctua makes industrial PPC fans, which are all black. they are a bit louder tough but perform amazing.

Thanks for the replies, I knew almost nothing about cooling before a couple of days ago when I asked about which cooler to use with the CPU.

I'll look into all the fans that have been mentioned, youtube videos, reviews, etc and I'll make a decision.

On 2/19/2018 at 12:26 PM, RollinLower said:

Noctua makes industrial PPC fans, which are all black. they are a bit louder tough but perform amazing.

There are also Chromax NF-F12's which are the same as the regular line but in black. I wouldn't recommend iPPC's if the extra robust build isn't necessary. 

That being said, NF-F12's aren't spectacular as case fans. In a less restrictive case like the S340 Elite, NF-S12A's are usually better or more balanced and larger fans like NF-A14's. 

@ErykYT3 Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

What are the rest of your specs and what kind of aesthetic are you aiming for? Are you overclocking?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Uk, Open budget since if the fans are too expensive I will go with cheaper ones and upgrade in the future as well as the original build having to be reworked due to prices changing (drastically) for some of the parts... xD 

But was originally planning for the Asus Strix 1070 and I don't think the rest of the specs are that necessary, I would have to guess at this point anyway but 16gb ram, Asus z370, dark rock 3 cooler.

I'm aiming for a black theme overall so, neutral colours.

Grey isn't a problem, But a dark colour overall to be paired with RGB hence an Asus mobo and GPU. 

12 hours ago, ErykYT3 said:

But was originally planning for the Asus Strix 1070 and I don't think the rest of the specs are that necessary, I would have to guess at this point anyway but 16gb ram, Asus z370, dark rock 3 cooler.

I'm aiming for a black theme overall so, neutral colours.

Grey isn't a problem, But a dark colour overall to be paired with RGB hence an Asus mobo and GPU. 

If you're going with the DR3 for aesthetics, PW2's would be a good match:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/M6vZxr/be-quiet-pure-wings-2-120-870-cfm-120mm-fan-bl039

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wj8H99/be-quiet-pure-wings-2-140-612-cfm-140mm-fan-bl040

The stock FN V2 case fans should be fine for exhaust at the top and rear with 2x140m's at the front for intake but you can replace them with more PW2's if you're aiming for a quieter system.

If you'd want a bit more performance, NF-P14S would be better for front intake and top exhaust: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8r9KHx/noctua-case-fan-nfp14sredux1500pwm

You need to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you're going with the DR3 for aesthetics, PW2's would be a good match:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/M6vZxr/be-quiet-pure-wings-2-120-870-cfm-120mm-fan-bl039

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wj8H99/be-quiet-pure-wings-2-140-612-cfm-140mm-fan-bl040

The stock FN V2 case fans should be fine for exhaust at the top and rear with 2x140m's at the front for intake but you can replace them with more PW2's if you're aiming for a quieter system.

If you'd want a bit more performance, NF-P14S would be better for front intake and top exhaust: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8r9KHx/noctua-case-fan-nfp14sredux1500pwm

You need to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I thought I did quote but I guess not.

Thanks for the help. I'll create a new build on pc part picker when I get the chance.