USB 3.0 flash drive as SSD???

hardtofindinthefuture

Im poor af and i want a SSD

Can i just use a USB 3.0 flash drive

This is the model i want to buy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-ultra-32gb-usb-3-0-flash-drive-black/9211069.p?skuId=9211069

I have USB 3.0 connectors built into my motherboard, but is it worth it? Will it reduce stutter like a real SSD?

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

It won't reduce stutter because it's still slower than 85+% of hard drives.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

You cant boot from USB without ramdisk so your answer is no.

Seriously SSD is cheap as fuck regularly goes on sale for under 100 bucks for a 240 gig SSD on amazon.

Just now, thegreengamers said:

it's still slower than 85+% of hard drives.

huh well then i guess not

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

4 minutes ago, Ckdota said:

You cant boot from USB without ramdisk so your answer is no.

Seriously SSD is cheap as fuck regularly goes on sale for under 100 bucks for a 240 gig SSD on amazon.

What? No. SSDs aren’t as cheap as fuck for someone who has to earn money. You don’t need a RAM disk to boot from USB. Don’t know where you heard that from. 

OP: Yes, they can work, but they’re not as fast as an SSD. If they were they wouldn’t be as cheap. I have had wonderful experiences running Windows 7 on a USB 2 mechanical drive. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

9 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

theres a reason USB 3 SSDs are cheap. It's because theyre made with flash that is so crappy, an HDD will outperform it. 

If the flash drive is of reasonable quality, then you can expect better performance than with a hard drive. Though the worst of flash drives (whether the flash is terrible, the controller, or both) can perform much worse as well. It really will be a "results vary".

Reliability can also be impacted by heavy use, though I found that the better drives will shrug off the abuse of being used for the OS.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

12 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

What? No. SSDs aren’t as cheap as fuck for someone who has to earn money. You don’t need a RAM disk to boot from USB. Don’t know where you heard that from. 

OP: Yes, they can work, but they’re not as fast as an SSD. If they were they wouldn’t be as cheap. I have had wonderful experiences running Windows 7 on a USB 2 mechanical drive. 

120gb ssd is about 40. The price for usb stick is about the same. WD Green is an amazing ssd for the price.

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

SATA SSD is still a better option than trying to run an OS off of a USB 3 drive. I've done it before and even USB 3 drives that are supposed to be faster than a HDD aren't when there's an OS running on it. 

I won't argue there. There is no comparison whatsoever when a proper SSD can run numerous flash chips in parallel, while even good flash drives have space for only a couple. There is also more to the SATA vs USB 3 story than just sequentials.

1 minute ago, Almostbauws said:

120gb ssd is about 40. The price for usb stick is about the same. WD Green is an amazing ssd for the price.

Questionable, though might be worth the risk so long as you do proper backups.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

18 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I refuse to accept that OP cannot gather up enough change to buy an SSD within a month. Either OP is overpaying out the ass on his monthly expenses, is unemployed or has a drug/gambling addiction. (Maybe a combination of all?)

Here is an SSD Deal I saw a few days ago:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820242399

52 of my weaker canadian dollars aka 41 of his american dollars for an SSD that is way better than what a USB flash drive can do.

As far as ram disk to boot from USB goes.... 5 mins of google-fu turned up nothing do you got a source on booting any OS from USB where a ram disk isnt created?

What’re you looking at? Last I checked 128GB USB drives were around $20. 256GB USB drives were around $45. When I was looking not too long ago, reputable (meaning not some never heard of before shitty junk) SSDs were around $55-60 for 120GB. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

6 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

What’re you looking at? Last I checked 128GB USB drives were around $20. 256GB USB drives were around $45. When I was looking not too long ago, reputable (meaning not some never heard of before shitty junk) SSDs were around $55-60 for 120GB. 

WD Green in my country is 40E.  Reputable brand 128GB USB stick(not something shady from ebay that catches fire) is also about 35-40E. So i imagine the usa prices to be similar. 

Proof:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-128GB-METAL-MUF-128BA-AM/dp/B017DH3NOW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1519068709&sr=8-9&keywords=128+usb

https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-128GB-Flash-memory-Drive/dp/B00P8XQPY4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519068709&sr=8-1&keywords=128+usb

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-120GB-SA400S37-120G/dp/B01N6JQS8C/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519068847&sr=1-4&keywords=120+ssd

Something that i found for your price, but would definately advise not to buy:

https://www.amazon.com/Q-ianlon-Stick-256GB-Pendrive-Extreme/dp/B077RBK125/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1519068709&sr=8-12&keywords=128+usb

7 minutes ago, Ckdota said:

I refuse to accept that OP cannot gather up enough change to buy an SSD within a month. Either OP is overpaying out the ass on his monthly expenses, is unemployed or has a drug addiction.

Here is an SSD Deal I saw a few days ago:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820242399

52 of my weaker canadian dollars aka 41 of his american dollars for an SSD that is way better than what a USB flash drive can do.

As far as ram disk to boot from USB goes.... 5 mins of google-fu turned up nothing do you got a source on booting any OS from USB where a ram disk isnt created?

I’m referring to people who may still be in high school (they make up a large majority of the members here). As for the RAM thing, I’ve done it myself. I’ve run full copies of Windows 7 Professional on 512MB of RAM. The OS wasn’t running from RAM, I can guarantee you that. 

you can get a ssd for 50$

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Hmm, I must have had some filter or something on messing with the prices. Oh well, they do seem to be cheaper now. 

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Hmm, I must have had some filter or something on messing with the prices. Oh well, they do seem to be cheaper now. 

Those dang filters back at it again messing with my ssd prices.

10 minutes ago, Ckdota said:

I refuse to accept that OP cannot gather up enough change to buy an SSD within a month. Either OP is overpaying out the ass on his monthly expenses, is unemployed or has a drug/gambling addiction. (Maybe a combination of all?)

or maybe im not old enough to get a job, ever thought of that? 

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

7 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I’m referring to people who may still be in high school (they make up a large majority of the members here). As for the RAM thing, I’ve done it myself. I’ve run full copies of Windows 7 Professional on 512MB of RAM. The OS wasn’t running from RAM, I can guarantee you that. 

People in high school need to have some drive! making me sound like an old fart over here when im not even 30 but it cant be that hard to find a part time gig somewhere. Or a one time two time thing like cutting lawns or shoveling driveways. 

Again would be nice if you got something less anecdotal maybe you can post the guide you used to boot from a full copy of windows 7 professional off a USB.

3 minutes ago, v0nn_toaster said:

or maybe im not old enough to get a job, ever thought of that? 

How old are you? I dont know where you got your 15 bucks (giving you head room for tax and transportation) to purchase that flash drive but do whatever that was 5 more times and you got yourself a SSD.

3 minutes ago, Ckdota said:

How old are you? I dont know where you got your 15 bucks (giving you head room for tax and transportation) to purchase that flash drive but do whatever that was 5 more times and you got yourself a SSD

Maybe i want to spend as little money as possible, maybe i dont want to go out and spend $70 on a new SSD

Maybe i just want a cheap solution to put some games on to try and reduce stutter

And for the transportation thing, i have parents or i can just fuckin walk

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

1 minute ago, v0nn_toaster said:

Maybe i want to spend as little money as possible, maybe i dont want to go out and spend $70 on a new SSD

Maybe i just want a cheap solution to put some games on to try and reduce stutter

And for the transportation thing, i have parents or i can just fuckin walk

With answers like these ima just have to dig deeper..........

How much money do you have? 

How far is the best buy?

How much money do you / can you earn in 1 month? Do you have an allowance? Is there some kind of part time gig you can do to earn a couple bucks here and there?

Since you brought up your parents cant you just ask them to pay the rest? If you got 15 bucks now thats only another 30 to your SSD goal.

1 minute ago, Ckdota said:

How much money do you have? 

How far is the best buy?

How much money do you / can you earn in 1 month? Do you have an allowance? Is there some kind of part time gig you can do to earn a couple bucks here and there?

Since you brought up your parents cant you just ask them to pay the rest? If you got 15 bucks now thats only another 30 to your SSD goal.

$95

5 miles

Like $10 a month

My parents dont need to pay for my shit

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

So to recap here:

You have enough to buy an SSD

You have enough to buy an SSD in 5 MONTHS (sorry)

You are "strong and independent"

Looks like my original observation was correct.

Just now, Ckdota said:

So to recap here:

You have enough to buy an SSD

You have enough to buy an SSD in 5 weeks 

You are "strong and independent"

Looks like my original observation was correct.

Nono from january 1st 2018 to yesterday i got a total of $15

Why the fuck would i spend 1/2 my money to buy something i dont need?

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

9 minutes ago, v0nn_toaster said:

Nono from january 1st 2018 to yesterday i got a total of $15

If you dont need it why are you looking to use a flash drive as an SSD? Tryna make me dizzy over here? Look your 10 bucks a month means in a few months you got yourself an actual SSD for an actual performance upgrade.

Here is my advice man:

1: Dont waste your money on garbage that only puts you further behind.

2: Check the free section of your online classified every day for stuff to sell on ebay or even on that online classified website. Shit you never know man might get a "broken computer" and find a 64 gig SSD inside!

And finally here is something that is confusing me:

What stutters are you getting using a 7200 rpm drive? I dont know about the rest of the ppl in this thread but I have never experienced these stutters and ive used slower drives. In fact I never owned a 7200 rpm drive until after SSDs came out. Sounds like you need to defrag that drive and run a maintenance script like tron (reddit.com/r/tronscript)

9 hours ago, v0nn_toaster said:

that's the real question i think

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w