Intel discrete gpu prototype

NumLock21

Voltage regulator.. the DLDO.... uh huh. Should have named it Digitally controlled Intel Low Drop Out IVR. I'd pay money to see an official Intel email with the subject title of "Problem in the DILDO" although "Problem in the DLDO" will probably be hilarious enough.

Hopefully this will create a more budget friendly lower end pricing. Intel don't need to make a powerful GPU at this point to disrupt the market with the huge price increase thanks to mining. 

5 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Hopefully this will create a more budget friendly lower end pricing. Intel don't need to make a powerful GPU at this point to disrupt the market with the huge price increase thanks to mining. 

This isn't a gaming card. It will do nothing for consumer card pricing. This is very clearly a workstation graphics card, stripped of many of the things that benefit gaming.

They may bring out a gaming card in the future, but all indications are that they're ignoring the gaming sector to focus on massive performance for GPGPU. Example, the built in FPGA.

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

This isn't a gaming card. It will do nothing for consumer card pricing. This is very clearly a workstation graphics card, stripped of many of the things that benefit gaming.

They may bring out a gaming card in the future, but all indications are that they're ignoring the gaming sector to focus on massive performance for GPGPU. Example, the built in FPGA.

Well I'm sure it paves the way for the future. 

Ian Cutress at Anandtech says it's not a GPU prototype but a test platform for new power management. Which means someone spun a story out of nothing merely because they use existing graphics technology (gen 9 graphics) as the basis for the test.

Where are the shader cores? you cant have powerfull 3D gpu without shader cores, unless i misunderstand and these gpu's are for compute workloads mainly.

I hope they have better compute capabilities like double precision stuff, and top notch drivers. I love when there is competition and companies innovate its only win consumers.

On 2/19/2018 at 1:05 PM, SC2Mitch said:

Can't wait for these GPU's to replace Nvidia's furnaces :) 

Confused on what you mean considering Nvidia is currently the lowest watt gpus.

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

You guys realize this isn't a product that's gonna be sold, right? This is simply to test some power management IP that happens to be a gpu.

15 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Ian Cutress at Anandtech says it's not a GPU prototype but a test platform for new power management. Which means someone spun a story out of nothing merely because they use existing graphics technology (gen 9 graphics) as the basis for the test.

Exactly. It all came from a Japanese story with a somewhat misleading title. No one read the actual article and came to conclusions.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IanCutress/status/966124732935483392

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

On 2/19/2018 at 1:49 PM, Taf the Ghost said:

GPU design isn't my "thing", but does this strike anyone else as an extremely "narrow" design?

It seemed to me that this information release contained mostly power management and very basic architectural information. 

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

On 2/19/2018 at 12:59 PM, PCGuy_5960 said:

Nice, more competition is always a good thing :D

Idk if i want competetion from Intel, given how they treat their competition. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

On 2/20/2018 at 7:41 AM, GoldenLag said:

KGB

In Soviet Russia....

Spoiler

Hardware overclocks you

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

More competition is always good but can Intel really compete against Nvidia and RTG in a market they know not much about and have no real presence in?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

More competition is always good but can Intel really compete against Nvidia and RTG in a market they know not much about and have no real presence in?

With the high demand of GPU's currently I think they can at least get their foot in the door if they play their cards right. If they get their foot in the door then they might have a chance to gain some market share. Though that really depends on what part of the market they intend to target. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.