Rakanoth

This is a NUCLEAR BOMB !!! Ryzen 2600 gets 17% single core performance boost

Only 17%? Pfff, wake me up when they can achieve 50% performance increase YoY

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

1 hour ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Yeah right.

Why are people falling for this? It's not going to get 17% more performance whether it's single or multicore. At best it's going to be maybe 5% faster, maybe.

Depends on what you mean but the new process node grants 10% higher performance on its own (if GloFo can deliver). Architecturally don't expect much and whatever gains are probably workload dependent. Overall expect 8-15% depending on benchmarks and clock speed. However don't trust this benchmark.

1 hour ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Yeah right.

Why are people falling for this? It's not going to get 17% more performance whether it's single or multicore. At best it's going to be maybe 5% faster, maybe.

My money is on 7-8% average real world gains (expecting as high as 10-11% in bench marking).  You can quote me on that.   Looking at passmark figures (because they're all in one spot) you can see at least a 10% improvement with each new generation.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Because overhyped AMD hardware never turned out to be false advertisement, fake, flat out lies or restricted to a single bench with a single setting that would never be used in real use cases. Seriously, whenever it comes to AMD they push the hype to no end and never even once managed to actually show the same numbers later on.

Not that i don't HOPE it is true. I definitely do.

The past just showed that AMD and hype don't go well together. 

Unless Steve benchmarks it, i don't buy the hype even for a split second. 

1 hour ago, Rattenmann said:

Because overhyped AMD hardware never turned out to be false advertisement, fake, flat out lies or restricted to a single bench with a single setting that would never be used in real use cases. Seriously, whenever it comes to AMD they push the hype to no end and never even once managed to actually show the same numbers later on.

Not that i don't HOPE it is true. I definitely do.

The past just showed that AMD and hype don't go well together. 

Unless Steve benchmarks it, i don't buy the hype even for a split second. 

well amd has been really quiet about new products ever since vega was released, they aren't hyping anything, this article is exaggerated as all it shows is 200mhz uplift from the 1600, but writers have to get their clickbait in there, you can't blame amd for that, if we filter that we can get a good idea of how the product might be.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

My money is on 7-8% average real world gains (expecting as high as 10-11% in bench marking).  You can quote me on that.   Looking at passmark figures (because they're all in one spot) you can see at least a 10% improvement with each new generation.

i myself believe it will be around 9-13% because of the more complex boosting algo which on lightly threaded benchmarks should help keep clocks a bit higher, plus the memory improvements

4 hours ago, Energycore said:

Because everything is meaningless #edgy

No but I think what they meant is that they're not as reliable as a benchmark / have less credibility than something like say, Cinebench or Futuremark.

I think it's more the argument of synthetic benches being pointless compared to real world benches.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB S280 with the EK Supremacy sTR4 RGB Nickel Water Block and Blood Red Premix | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM/Toshiba X300 5TB 7200RPM | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Software: Office Home and Student 2013 | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones/Headsets:  Kingston Hyperx Cloud II/Sony MDR-XB950/B Extra Bass Japanese Version/Massdrop x AKG K7XX/iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile MMCX Detachable IEMs/Skullcandy Ink'd Earbuds(not so great) | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: JBL 305P MkII Studio Monitors | Other:  Vipmaz Extended Xxxl Mousepad and Magnetic Cablemod Red LED Strips

Laptop:

Getting a Surface Pro 3 or 4 for basic use in Dec and a clevo for gaming use next summer.

Current Phone:

Pegasus/Samsung Galaxy S7 SM-G930U[Replacing next year with the new Pixel]

Gaming Stuffs:

Sony-PS3, PS4 Pro Starwars Limited Edition, Vita OLED Wifi, and a PSTV.

MS-Xbox Original, Xbox 360, and an XBO S.

Nintendo-NES, YOBO NES, SNES Mini, N64.

SEGA-Game Gear+SEGA CDX

SNK/Playmore-NGPC

Randoms-Rare Space Invaders Keychain+1970s Pachinko.

Mini PC:

Gir/RPi 3 Model B

Tablet:

HD8

Higher clock speed + improved IMC and fine tuned infinity fabric for lower latency?

... probably no IPC improvements.

Spoiler

Fractal Define R4, Fractal Silent Series R2 fan x3, BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2Super Flower Golden Green 550W Gold, Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H, Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9Intel i7 4770k 4.6GHz OC, EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 OC 2038MHz Core/12400MHz VRAMEizo Foris FS2333 60Hz 1080p, AOC AG271QG 165Hz+G-Sync 1440p, CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate, Logitech G502 Spectrum, Steam Controler, Sennheiser HD600, S.M.S.L M6 Mini DAC, Blue Yeti (black) microphone, Huawei Mate 8 phone.

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Because it's unattainable on current Ryzen and they're not changing it that much ... at least that's what I've heard.

6 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Zen+ was always going to have a bump in clocks so if this means 17% extra perf at the same power consumption or 17% higher clocks (i.e. we can now overclock to 4.5GHz+) or a mixture of higher perf and lower power consumption then we should get excited otherwise if its just higher stock clocks, it is nothing really interesting.

AMD says they are tweaking the IMC for lower latency , among other things . That could potentially bring improvements despite the same core

6 hours ago, RotoCoreOne said:

Ill wait for actual results rather than leaks. Don't get your hopes up and buy into any hype lol

Sure these are leaks . But Zen + is scheduled for april . Leaks this close to launcg tend to be fairly accurate

6 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Yeah right.

12LP brings >10% clock speed imrpovements on its own...

AMD Ryzen 7 3.8ghz at 1.3V Corsair vengeance LPX 8GB 2800mhz @ 3200mhz CAS 16 + 2*4GB micron ballistics @ 3200mhz cas 16 ;Gigabyte ga-ab350-Gaming 3; cooler master nepton 240M ; CF r9 290x tri x + r9 290 tri x ; CX750M PSU ; SPEC 03 case with 9 120mm fans ; windows 10 64 bit 

7 hours ago, Rakanoth said:

Why is Geekbench meaningless? :S

I've gone into great details over this in the past. Rather than repeat that, I'll provide the mountain of evidence from my previous posts:

Basically, the TL:DR is, Geekbench is not reliable because it only grabs DMI strings for CPU speeds, not the actual clock speeds. This means you cannot know the CPU clock speed or memory clock speed, so it's impossible to directly compare scores from one Geekbench result to another, let alone extrapolate that data to compare against another benchmark or any real life workloads.

7 hours ago, Energycore said:

Because everything is meaningless #edgy

No but I think what they meant is that they're not as reliable as a benchmark / have less credibility than something like say, Cinebench or Futuremark.

Very rarely would I consider information "meaningless", but with Geekbench, it tends to be the case. Unless you happen to see the bench be ran with your own eyes to see the clock speeds beforehand, you will never truly know the results, lol. I really wish it was similar to CPU-Z, and would grab current clock values during the sysinfo part of the benchmark. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

7 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Zen+ was always going to have a bump in clocks so if this means 17% extra perf at the same power consumption or 17% higher clocks (i.e. we can now overclock to 4.5GHz+) or a mixture of higher perf and lower power consumption then we should get excited otherwise if its just higher stock clocks, it is nothing really interesting.

It's hard to say with AMD. What I would hope is that they've tweaked manufacturing and improved yields and binning so that more of the chips clock higher without needing higher voltages.

i'm pretty sure glofo's 14nm FINFET was actually 20nm level FinFET

It's probably just glofo moving to actual 12/14nm

BETA IS BACK! CLICK HERE!

I like PSUs. Feel free to ask me about PSU questions.

Helios: Intel Core™ i5-4460 | GA-B85M-D3H | 8GB DDR3-1333 -> 16GB DDR3-1333 | MSI R7 370 ARMOR | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Helios EVO: Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | ASRock Z370 Killer SLI/ac | 16GB DDR4-3000 Team | AMD Radeon R9 Fury X | Define C TG | Corsair Certified Refurbished RM650x

@STRMfrmXMN's PSU Tier List | Don't buy the S12II/M12II | Avoid the EVGA G3

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

lol, the hype. By the time most of us on current Ryzen actually needs an upgrade, the gen at the time will destroy Zen+. See ya in 3ish years when I upgrade again for some mad gainz bro.

PRISIMHEART 2.0

Case: TT Core V1 || PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750w || MB: Asrock Fata1ity AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac || CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1600 || CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 w/ FD Venturi fan || RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16GB || GPU: Galax GTX 1070 EXOC-SNPR || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Crucial MX500 1TB + SG Firecuda 2TB

PERIPHERALS / DISPLAY

Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum || Monitor: HP Omen 32

7 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

lol, the hype. By the time most of us on current Ryzen actually needs an upgrade, the gen at the time will destroy Zen+. See ya in 3ish years when I upgrade again for some mad gainz bro.

Sadly AMD's track record suggests that by the time they change sockets you won't want to upgrade to what they're offering.

I REALLY REALLY hope that isn't what happens, but until they pull off another Athlon 64/Opteron gambit, I won't trust them to deliver.

7 hours ago, JDE said:

i'm pretty sure glofo's 14nm FINFET was actually 20nm level FinFET

It's probably just glofo moving to actual 12/14nm

Well, that's not true. 12nm is a small update. A move from 20nm to 14nm would be big. 12nm is 10% performance and 15% area. That's hardly even a half node.

Since the process is licensed from Samsung you're essentially saying Samsung is also on 20nm. Then comes the implication that TSMC is in the same ballpark which would also mean 20nm for them. That's one big rabbit hole you've created.

Then there's the fact that nm terminology is so arbitrary at this point that it's just a name and not much of an indication of silicon size.

5 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Then there's the fact that nm terminology is so arbitrary at this point that it's just a name and not much of an indication of silicon size.

That's why I created this comment in the first place.

BETA IS BACK! CLICK HERE!

I like PSUs. Feel free to ask me about PSU questions.

Helios: Intel Core™ i5-4460 | GA-B85M-D3H | 8GB DDR3-1333 -> 16GB DDR3-1333 | MSI R7 370 ARMOR | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Helios EVO: Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | ASRock Z370 Killer SLI/ac | 16GB DDR4-3000 Team | AMD Radeon R9 Fury X | Define C TG | Corsair Certified Refurbished RM650x

@STRMfrmXMN's PSU Tier List | Don't buy the S12II/M12II | Avoid the EVGA G3

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

This is probably just a result of higher stock clock speeds. I would be surprised if the 2600 overclocks past 4.1 or 4.2 GHz.

New Build:

CPU: i7-8700K @4.7 GHz/1.25v (all cores)

GPU: GTX 1070 FE

RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 @3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

PSU: EVGA 650 Watt G2 Supernova

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Previous Build:

Same as above, just with an R5-1600X @4.0 GHz/1.337v and an Asus Prime B350-Plus.

Scrapped because Ryzen wasn't much better than the old PC below in my fav games (both using a GTX 1070).

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 980X @4.0 GHz/1.34v

RAM: 3x4GB DDR3 @1333 MHz

Mobo: Some old x58 board

Cute geekbench scores.  I'm betting Zen+ will just be higher base clocks...and maybe a slightly higher OC capability.  EIther way...let me know when AMD has something in the geekbench 6.5k+ or Cinibench 220cb single core range.

i7-7820x @ 4.8GHz || Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 7 || EVGA 1080 ti FTW3 Hybrid || 2x960 evo 500gb Raid 0

4x8gb g.Skill TridentZ 3600MHz  CL16|| Phanteks Evolv ATX TG || Corsair H115i || EVGA G2 850w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Is Ryzen 2000 silicon done at TSMC or GLOFO?

Somewhere I heard that they switched to TSMC but I am not sure.

Spoiler

Fractal Define R4, Fractal Silent Series R2 fan x3, BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2Super Flower Golden Green 550W Gold, Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H, Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9Intel i7 4770k 4.6GHz OC, EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 OC 2038MHz Core/12400MHz VRAMEizo Foris FS2333 60Hz 1080p, AOC AG271QG 165Hz+G-Sync 1440p, CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate, Logitech G502 Spectrum, Steam Controler, Sennheiser HD600, S.M.S.L M6 Mini DAC, Blue Yeti (black) microphone, Huawei Mate 8 phone.

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

Is Ryzen 2000 silicon done at TSMC or GLOFO?

Somewhere I heard that they switched to TSMC but I am not sure.

GloFo. Someone may have gotten it mixed up because TSMC also has a 12nm process or because they may switch some of their GPU designs back to TSMC.