Curved 32-34", 100hz, 1440 pixel high minimum, monitor recommendations?

JenH

I'm looking for a good monitor with the above specs. It's going to be used mostly for Skype and productivity/work-related stuff, not gaming. Anyone have any recommendations? 

Do you want a standard monitor or an ultra wide monitor?

32" would be 16:9, 34" would be 21:9.

What does your work entail?

If you're not gaming, why do you want a high refresh rate?

Welcome to the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm likley well off as all I do is game on one of these

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-Strix-XG32VQ/ProductPrint/

But i'm sure it would do great at what you want as well.

Otherwise look for IPS screen I guess?

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

14 minutes ago, JenH said:

I'm looking for a good monitor with the above specs. It's going to be used mostly for Skype and productivity/work-related stuff, not gaming. Anyone have any recommendations? 

https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UM88-P-34-Inch-UltraWide-Thunderbolt/dp/B01BV1Q0L4   This monitor has a 75 Hz refresh rate but since your not gaming 75hz is fine.

Thanks for the suggestions! The setup I'm currently suffering through is two 22" 1680*1080 monitors side by side and I want to replace them with one ultra wide with better resolution. 60hz feels too jerky and I was thinking 100 would completely eradicate that problem, but yeah it might be a bit overkill for my purposes, 75 would probably feel buttery smooth especially in comparison. But at the same time I don't mind erring a bit on the side of completely overpowered : D

How about the BenQ PD3200U 32"? I'm not sure if this is a good quality monitor though.
ASUS 32 " 4K Ultra HD ProArt Professional Monitor [PA328Q] IPS this is from ASUS- they have great QA I think?
Acer XR342CK 34" Ultra-Wide UHD IPS- This is IPS but not 4k, not sure why that's a good thing but it was suggested earlier!
Maybe someone more knowledgeable about this could confirm?

20 hours ago, JenH said:

Thanks for the suggestions! The setup I'm currently suffering through is two 22" 1680*1080 monitors side by side and I want to replace them with one ultra wide with better resolution. 60hz feels too jerky and I was thinking 100 would completely eradicate that problem, but yeah it might be a bit overkill for my purposes, 75 would probably feel buttery smooth especially in comparison. But at the same time I don't mind erring a bit on the side of completely overpowered : D

I just picked this up, but haven't gotten it yet. It's got a nice price point:

https://pixiogaming.com/collections/monitors/products/px347c-prime

You can buy a vesa adapter for 15 bucks if that matters.

Main PC: i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i V2 |  ASUS Prime Z370-A  | Corsair Carbide 540 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | 16GB G.Skill Flare X @ 3200Mhz | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W | Dell S2417DG

19 hours ago, Shiftstealth said:

I just picked this up, but haven't gotten it yet. It's got a nice price point:

https://pixiogaming.com/collections/monitors/products/px347c-prime

You can buy a vesa adapter for 15 bucks if that matters.

I've now received it. It's pretty nice. The screen has a noticeable amount of more blur than my S2417DG that i had. That being said it is VA, and it is 100Hz vs 165Hz. IMO it is tolerable, and adjustable. I enabled overdrive, and the responsive-ness seems acceptable. But again there is some blur likely because of the 100Hz, and the slower pixel transition than TN. However if it is just for productivity it should be fine. Only in gaming would you really need to worry about that blur.

Main PC: i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i V2 |  ASUS Prime Z370-A  | Corsair Carbide 540 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | 16GB G.Skill Flare X @ 3200Mhz | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W | Dell S2417DG

That's the one I think Hardware Canucks recommended too as a kick butt budget option.

Do you find the lack of IPS annoying? Feels like the vibrant colour is pretty tough to let go of. 

I really like the Acer XR342CK but that pricepoint is rough. 

9 hours ago, FourK said:

That's the one I think Hardware Canucks recommended too as a kick butt budget option.

Do you find the lack of IPS annoying? Feels like the vibrant colour is pretty tough to let go of. 

I really like the Acer XR342CK but that pricepoint is rough. 

I haven't owned an IPS monitor in a little over a year. I don't really miss it. When i went from an IPS to my S2417DG i didn't really notice a change other than better blacks. I didn't feel the colors were washed out. In fact i felt my S2417DG was every bit as vibrant. Then again moving from the S2417DG to the PX347c I felt that again, blacks got even better, and actually can tell that the contrast ratio is better while colors still remain vibrant. Colors aren't *as* vibrant in certain situations as the S2417DG but i feel that is because they are more accurate. (I haven't measured) Most situations though the colors feel as vibrant as the S2417DG. The only situation they aren't is like the facebook bar doesn't pop as much, but i feel it is more of an accuracy thing than a washed out feeling. Keep in mind i do not work with colors at all, and haven't measured. However i don't feel washed out at all. That being said you can make any monitor look washed out if you put it next to a 3000 dollar Samsung TV. You just have to assess if the colors are good for the price, and in this situation i feel the colors are excellent for the price.

On 2/19/2018 at 9:57 AM, coyotetracker said:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UM88-P-34-Inch-UltraWide-Thunderbolt/dp/B01BV1Q0L4   This monitor has a 75 Hz refresh rate but since your not gaming 75hz is fine.

What do you think about this one? https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/lg-34-219-wqhd-curved-ultrawide-ips-freesync-led-monitor-34uc99-w-lg/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_ads&gclid=CjwKCAiAoNTUBRBUEiwAWje2litUumX5WtAMtpsws6UiLX2fN_ixy_ihTKOLk5m00Mwgw_h0cFpNrxoCdxcQAvD_BwE I think it's basically the same but it's also curved. 

I don't know if I really *need* 4k though, since I'm not gaming or watching 4k content? 

2 hours ago, JenH said:

What do you think about this one? https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/lg-34-219-wqhd-curved-ultrawide-ips-freesync-led-monitor-34uc99-w-lg/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_ads&gclid=CjwKCAiAoNTUBRBUEiwAWje2litUumX5WtAMtpsws6UiLX2fN_ixy_ihTKOLk5m00Mwgw_h0cFpNrxoCdxcQAvD_BwE I think it's basically the same but it's also curved. 

I don't know if I really *need* 4k though, since I'm not gaming or watching 4k content? 

That one uses a newer and better panel. The um88 was older panel with lots of yellow backlight bleed issues

alienware-aw3418dw is the way to go

I have a lg 34um98 and I like it but its just 60hz, my plan is to see what the GPU market does and get a 1080ti used with the alienware monitor some day, or see what new gpu's come out this spring.

need a good GPU to push those pixels, my 980ti sits at 60hz nicely in pubg although the game is poorly optimized