Tek Syndicate Audio Myths with @MayflowerElectronics

defunkt

when was the last time you heard him recommend a sound card without qualification?

when did you hear him say a sound card its not necessary at all? i just want a reply from linus about this video, thats all im asking

when did you hear him say a sound card its not necessary at all? i just want a reply from linus about this video, thats all im asking

We're not allowed to tell you.  :ph34r:

I don't recall him actually ever saying that. My point is the last time hecrecomended a sound card was quite a while ago. And the last time I heard recommend one was with a reasonable qualification about features some thing like that. I just got out of bed and the kids are hassling me to open presents so I'll address this later. Have a good Chrissy if that's your thing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

• 2 weeks later...

will linus ever say something about this?????

Why does he need to?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Why does he need to?

Completely OT but that Ned Kelly is very 'Strayan :P

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

This has rumbled on a bit long now guys. Linus has already given his opinion on this, Check out the vid.

This has rumbled on a bit long now guys. Linus has already given his opinion on this, Check out the vid.

why-you-mad-bro.jpg?w=594

83239261.gif

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.

Sampling rates don't matter above 44kHz sample rate because of nyquist theorem - it says sampling a signal is good enough when it's 2x higher than the highest frequency in the sampled signal. When it's higher, it does not not matter anymore. 

As for the tube vs transistor amp:

tubes have a different voltage response than transistors and sound kind of different. 

Tetrode.pngTube:

400px-IvsV_mosfet.svg.pngMosfet

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

LOL erryone getting mad in YT comments.

Some user stated about how he doubts onboard, i mentioned i tested it's output at a high sample rate 192khz, and explained it is not far off what he uses (Essence ST)

Here is what i actually typed...

"Called placebo, does it hurt your ego that a Realtek 889 is only a few percent behind your very sound card, i ran tests myself, there are now better on board chips than the 889, 110DB SNR, and excellent THD readings.

I even have a video using a shit mic."

His answer:

"+Recon-UK stick to your plastic pc speakers and your onboard audio and let me suffer with my coice....placebo my ass"

As i stated, thanks for the video, and let the hate flow through.

I lol'd at plastic PC speakers.

hahaahahhahahahahaahahahahahahahaahhah

PC Specs

PC Specs - CPU: Intel Core i7 3970X @ 3.5 GHz CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X Graphics Card: x2 NVidia Geforce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked Editions Watercooled by Corsair HG10 N780s w/ Corsair H90s Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD w/ 1TB WD Blue HDD 7200 RPM HDD  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79  PSU: NZXT HALE90 V2 NP-1GM-1200A 1200W Audio: Mayflower Electronics Objective2 Bamboo Amplifier w/ Mayflower Electronics ODAC & Mayflower Electronics Modified Fostex T50RP Headphones V3 w/ Antlion Mod Mic Case: Fractal Design Define R5 OS: Windows 7 Professional Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical w/ Razer Goliathus Extended Mouse Pad Keyboard: Camo Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless  w/ Cherry MX Black switches w/ Custom Keycaps Monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p 1ms response time 144hz + 2 other monitors

He tested with 8-bit music. These audiofile bashing videos are a joke, as much as I love Logan.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

He tested with 8-bit music. These audiofile bashing videos are a joke, as much as I love Logan.

The music style is 8 bit but I am sure the audio file itself isn't. :D

He could've chosen a better song though tbh. Maybe he didn't due to copyright issues in the vid.

who cares...

What does that have to do with anything? Also, I love how NOBODY read this, I invite you to thoroughly read this again.

https://teksyndicate.com/videos/audiophile-myths-part-1-mp3-vs-flac-cables-sample-rates-tube-amps-etc

Just to mix it up, I also did blind tests using a Roland QuadCapture as my DAC and the Sony MDR 7506 headphones. Here's are the songs I tested:

• Zweihänder - My Teeth
  • Zweihänder - The Train
  • Bela Fleck - Hole In The Wall
  • Punch Brothers - Flippen
  • Klabautamann - Lurker In The Moonlight
  • Amon Amarth - Cry of the Black Birds

Just to mix it up, I also did blind tests using a Roland QuadCapture as my DAC and the Sony MDR 7506 headphones. Here's are the songs I tested:

• Zweihänder - My Teeth
  • Zweihänder - The Train

• Zweihänder - My Teeth
  • Zweihänder - The Train

Music is music,  the genre is irrelevant if it is being used to compare two file types.  I suggest you get an education about audio before labeling these a joke.

All I'm saying, in the video he presented a low quality song to begin with. Maybe trying a non digital song, perhaps with live instruments?

Also, vinyl has no bit depth. 

Sample rate definition: "The number of times an analog signal is measured (sampled) per second. The unit of sample rate is "samples per second". This is often expressed in kiloHertz (kHz). For example, "CD quality" sound has a sample rate of 44 kHz." http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sample+rate

I agree with some of the things said, but saying there's a "placebo effect", well, I don't think you can say that UNTIL you provide an actual unbiased blind test (people you don't know, and not using only the evidence that helps your theory) I refuse to take your word for it. I know for a fact I can tell a difference; however, unless you can prove I'm crazy, I'll continue to believe my "BS".

P.S. I feel the Mayflower Electronics advertising is strong.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

All I'm saying, in the video he presented a low quality song to begin with. Maybe trying a non digital song, perhaps with live instruments?

Also, vinyl has no bit depth. 

It's recorded digitally at 24 bit which means when they engineer it for vinyl they have a much larger dynamic range to work with. this equates to better mastered recordings rather than outright signal quality.

Sample rate definition: "The number of times an analog signal is measured (sampled) per second. The unit of sample rate is "samples per second". This is often expressed in kiloHertz (kHz). For example, "CD quality" sound has a sample rate of 44 kHz." http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sample+rate

I agree with some of the things said, but saying there's a "placebo effect", well, I don't think you can say that UNTIL you provide an actual unbiased blind test (people you don't know, and not using only the evidence that helps your theory) I refuse to take your word for it. I know for a fact I can tell a difference; however, unless you can prove I'm crazy, I'll continue to believe my "BS".

The placebo effect is a clinicaly proven condition that effects everyone, just knowing you are listening to brand A amplifier on brand B sound card is enough to effect how you perceive auditory stimuli.

P.S. I feel the Mayflower Electronics advertising is strong.

Fair enough.

Can't argue with that last one, it is purely your perception and personal opinion.

This isn't an advertisement...none of my products were mentioned and no one said anything about them. These are educational video's. I just happen to have a business. You're making false claims.

This isn't an advertisement...none of my products were mentioned and no one said anything about them. These are educational video's. I just happen to have a business. You're making false claims.

That's not the issue, the problem is that regardless of how true the video is, we all know you sell dacs and amps.  and people typically don't trust people.  It was obvious to most of use that you were trying not to promote anything you make or sell, but Logan likes to plug and that's what he did. 

Logan did it at the 12 minute mark in the first video. I know you weren't trying to promote your own products, but yeah.

Logan did it at the 12 minute mark in the first video. I know you weren't trying to promote your own products, but yeah.

Well then by that mark I was advertising for hifi man as well. No one seems to care then -_-

Well then by that mark I was advertising for hifi man as well. No one seems to care then -_-

No one cares when JJ or any other spokes person advertises for their companies. Buts its bad when you do it. 

No one cares when JJ or any other spokes person advertises for their companies. Buts its bad when you do it. 

oh god, i looked at a vid with JJ and it was the most boring thing ever, he is knowledgeable but after hearing the phrase "high end componentry" 102143 times i quit

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

-snip-

could you make the font a bit bigger? its hard to read

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

JJ is very respectful to other companies' products.

He focuses on the positive things about his company and his products without attacking or dismissing competing options. He also generally maintains an exemplary level of courtesy and professionalism in his communication whether it's public or private.

That's why no one minds what JJ does.