Tek Syndicate Audio Myths with @MayflowerElectronics

defunkt

This video is so wrong. A sound card makes a HUGE difference.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I saw this, really great video! Great work MayflowerElectronics! (and Logan too, if you ever hang out here at the bright side) Really good and informative at a entry level of knowledge on the topic! It also dispenses with a lot of BS very nicely!

I always felt I had a pretty good idea of why there would be high impedance headphones and what was needed to drive them and how they separated from low impedance headphones in those respects. Now I can put words on it! :D

Watched the video, was pretty clear on sound cards. When and where should one use a DAC or Amp then?

Anyway like Mayflower himself said, if you got "sound cards are useless and can make your audio worse!" out of the video then you didn't listen carefully enough.

Yeah the thread title was probably a tad overzealous due to my butthurt-ness, haha. I'm just kind of bummed since I just recently bought my Essence STX. I mean I still need the card cause I have a pair of HD 700s already in the mail that will need a serious amp to drive, but had I seen this video prior to buying my card, I may have gone for an external solution. 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

Watched the video, was pretty clear on sound cards. When and where should one use a DAC or Amp then?

Amps are useful for certain high impedance and/or low sensitivity headphones. I'm sure there'll be a more in depth explanation in their upcoming videos. Do note, all headphones/speakers need an amplifier, the one included with motherboards is usually sufficient.

A DAC is necessary when your motherboard is too staticky/hissy. Sometimes external amps can cause a ground loop or simply amplify unwanted noise you couldn't hear before, so a DAC is nice to completely remove your audio chain from a hostile PC case.

From what I've gathered, if you run line-out to something, the audio source, be it onboard or add-on sound card means absolutely nothing. For headphone users, you're better off grabbing a usb dac-amp combo. For serious audio, you're better off getting legit audio equipment vs dropping 200 on a sound card.

From what I've gathered, if you run line-out to something, the audio source, be it onboard or add-on sound card means absolutely nothing.

If you run digital out the sound card doesn't matter. Because it bypasses the DACs on the sound card / onboard.

But for line out it matters as you are outputting an analog signal; and the quality of the DACs used are variable between different solutions. Of course whether that difference is detectable to the human ear I do not know.

I sure am getting a O2 when I can but when I switched from onboard to Essence STX, I did hear a difference. Although, tonight Ill probably try my onboard again and see how that goes.

I sure am getting a O2 when I can but when I switched from onboard to Essence STX, I did hear a difference. Although, tonight Ill probably try my onboard again and see how that goes.

But was the difference better? Make sure you volume match the different sources (what you hear, not the number the computer tells you).

Why are DACs external?  Why do we not see DACs installed in 5.25 bays?  They seem the right size,  I have seen amps (like the  Kama Bay Amp Pro) that can be installed and I have seen other audio interfaces that seem to be able to be installed, why not DACs?  Would there still be an interference issue if the DAC was in the bay?  Would that not mean you need to be careful about where you put it outside the case as well, or at least slightly? 

Intel Core i5 2400 - Corsair Vengeance 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24 - four strips) - ASUS P8Z68-V LE - GeForce GTX 660 Ti (MSI Power Edition) - 60GB Corsair Force 3 Boot drive with 2.5TB in a random nightmare of a configuration

Why are DACs external?  Why do we not see DACs installed in 5.25 bays?  They seem the right size,  I have seen amps (like the  Kama Bay Amp Pro) that can be installed and I have seen other audio interfaces that seem to be able to be installed, why not DACs?  Would there still be an interference issue if the DAC was in the bay?  Would that not mean you need to be careful about where you put it outside the case as well, or at least slightly? 

Yes, there would be interference.. And why not just have one on your desk?

hello

A sound card has a DAC on it. So to answer your question, DACs are already internal if you go that route. 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

Constant static in the background. GG gewd audio for a audio myth video.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

It's bad onboard audio then..

hello

Lol I told him I heard static when we were recording and he said it's okay so I just went with it.

It's bad onboard audio then..

Lmao no, it's the camera's audio capture.  :D

But was the difference better? Make sure you volume match the different sources (what you hear, not the number the computer tells you).

Yeah that's what I will be revisiting when I have enough time. Work is kinda annoying this time around (last strech before xmas). It won't bother me much though, I have had this STX for at least 3 years so I used it plenty, I was due to change for the O2. It will just be funny if it ends up true (being useless). Ill just try to resell it either way.

edit : The reason why I don't just go and buy the O2 is because I started playing MTG again and it is kicking my balls hard finance side.

I asked this once myself, and the audyafilecs on the forum pointed at me and laughed. I do still think it'd be a good idea, however, so fight on brother!  ;)

Yes, there would be interference.. And why not just have one on your desk?

My desk is cluttered enough, I don't like the idea of more stuff on it.  I also kinda like bay devices and finding things to put in there.  I think it would be an attractive clean look, to have it installed in the computer and not have to deal with another cord running from you PC to your desk.  I am not trying to say I think it is better, just seems like an option that would work for some that I am surprised I don't see more of. 

Intel Core i5 2400 - Corsair Vengeance 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24 - four strips) - ASUS P8Z68-V LE - GeForce GTX 660 Ti (MSI Power Edition) - 60GB Corsair Force 3 Boot drive with 2.5TB in a random nightmare of a configuration

My desk is cluttered enough, I don't like the idea of more stuff on it.  I also kinda like bay devices and finding things to put in there.  I think it would be an attractive clean look, to have it installed in the computer and not have to deal with another cord running from you PC to your desk.  I am not trying to say I think it is better, just seems like an option that would work for some that I am surprised I don't see more of. 

Most desktop stuff is very small. Our products are roughly 3x3.5x1.5.

I asked this once myself, and the audyafilecs on the forum pointed at me and laughed. I do still think it'd be a good idea, however, so fight on brother!  ;)

But did they say why they found it funny?  It just seems to me like a logical, functional, convenient, and attractive.  Even the video acknowledged that many people plug there headphones into the front, it seems like installing a bay device over a sound card would seem like a nice option to alot of people.  Plus the little bar things that bounce back and forth with the music that I don't know the name of, would look spiffy in a tower I think. 

But did they say why they found it funny?  It just seems to me like a logical, functional, convenient, and attractive.  Even the video acknowledged that many people plug there headphones into the front, it seems like installing a bay device over a sound card would seem like a nice option to alot of people.  Plus the little bar things that bounce back and forth with the music that I don't know the name of, would look spiffy in a tower I think. 

I agree with everything you're saying - I guess they're just stuck in their ways.  ;)

Most desktop stuff is very small. Our products are roughly 3x3.5x1.5.

To be blunt, small is not necessarily better on a cluttered desk, it sometimes means it can just get lost easier.   I already get annoyed with how much USB stuff I have plugged in, this would be one more thing to juggle and prioritize.  Not the end of the world of course, and yes your products are very attractive and not real estate hogs at all.  Audio stuff for me is more intellectually interesting than something I have an ear to really appreciate, so I am just trying to understand it more.  I still say your products would look damn sexy installed in a case, and I do wonder how much of a decrease in quality you would see.  Sometimes a little static is worth it for sexy. 

I actually just watched this today and I'm glad someone posted this up. This cements my purchase decision that a external DAC is better than a sound card even for its noise isolation properties alone. The o2 amp and DAC was one of the best investments I made for a relatively cheap price compared to thousand dollar "audiophile" DAC recommendations. It's good to know you don't need to spend outrageous amounts of money to get good sound. I applaud Mayflower Electronics and Logan for making this great informative video.

the problem with an o2 in a computer case, is that the amp runs off 12v AC, if it was DC you could easily stick on a molex to barrel adapter to power it.

the small fiio/iBasso dac/amps on the other hand run off usb, you could easily come up with a mount and just run it off the motherboard usb headers.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac