Tek Syndicate Audio Myths with @MayflowerElectronics

defunkt

I really couldn't tell a difference between the 7.1 surround sound and with 2 speakers when listening to the Virtual Barber Shop. Now I know not to buy a 7.1 Surround Sound headset anymore

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Couldn't agree more. I only have a dedicated card for recording 2 channel Analog XLR and outputting to XLR.

The built in optical header on my motherboard does just fine to bit-stream to my Technics receiver/amp. 

Nuff said.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Everything he said was posted in a sticky in the audio forum but I guess videos get to more people which is good.

On another note, I need to sell this Xonar I bought a year ago and buy a DAC.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

I really couldn't tell a difference between the 7.1 surround sound and with 2 speakers when listening to the Virtual Barber Shop. Now I know not to buy a 7.1 Surround Sound headset anymore

Doesnt yt only support 2.1?

@op

I have a xonar phoebus and in terms of audio quality, my on-board sounds terrible, I've tested it multiple times and it makes a big difference with my ad900x's, I do want to buy a o2+odac later on.

The on-board makes them very quiet and feel very under-powered, with the phoebus it makes quite a big difference in terms of hearing noises that weren't there with the on-board, although I'm sure it could be much better with an odac+o2 amp, which I'll probably sell my phoebus and buy later on.

I talked awhile back to @MayflowerElectronics about this, I've also asked him tons of questions about things which he's always had great answers, I'm glad he's a part of these forums to help make sure we aren't all completely in the dark about these things!

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Doesnt yt only support 2.1?

yes and no but you can activate it through software

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Never in the video did we say sound cards are useless. I'm sure someone, somewhere has a valid point for using it. All we are saying is to not buy into marketing and know the facts about audio and how it really works, and to know what is good and bad for it. For the majority of people, it isn't good.

OMG its the guy from the video!!! Can I get your digital signature? :P.

Nah in all seriousness I completely agree with everything you said. I do have a soundcard (Auzentech X-Fi Forte) and I have noticed more interference with it over the onboard. Especially with my usb thumbdrive. Accessing that folder makes weird sounds sometimes. A high pitched uniform Ehhhhhhhh Uhhhhhhhhh over and over is the best way to describe it lol. And the position of my card is better suited in my case (Silverstone) as all cables are connected on top (not back) so my headphone cable is completely free.I do like the headphone amp in the X-Fi Forte though (I like loud). I am deffo going to get and external DAC next time round though.  cough* unless you want to send one of those bad boys over to Ireland *cough. jk :P

Great video anyway. Is the other video on impedance and SDR out yet? TBH the explaination of impedance was kinda cringe but I can completely understand how difficult it is to explain electronics (especially when it comes to audio). I have no idea how to do it. I studied mech eng so I got a flavour of electronics.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

OMG its the guy from the video!!! Can I get your digital signature? :P.

Nah in all seriousness I completely agree with everything you said. I do have a soundcard (Auzentech X-Fi Forte) and I have noticed more interference with it over the onboard. Especially with my usb thumbdrive. Accessing that folder makes weird sounds sometimes. A high pitched uniform Ehhhhhhhh Uhhhhhhhhh over and over is the best way to describe it lol. And the position of my card is better suited in my case (Silverstone) as all cables are connected on top (not back) so my headphone cable is completely free.I do like the headphone amp in the X-Fi Forte though (I like loud). I am deffo going to get and external DAC next time round though.  cough* unless you want to send one of those bad boys over to Ireland *cough. jk :P

Great video anyway. Is the other video on impedance and SDR out yet? TBH the explaination of impedance was kinda cringe but I can completely understand how difficult it is to explain electronics (especially when it comes to audio). I have no idea how to do it. I studied mech eng so I got a flavour of electronics.

I'm personally not good at explaining things through words. It's hard for me to get what's in my head, into words, that make sense to other people. There are articles out there that do a much better job then what I did.

Well I always used on-board audio so I don't know

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I'm personally not good at explaining things through words. It's hard for me to get what's in my head, into words, that make sense to other people. There are articles out there that do a much better job then what I did.

You need math to explain it properly. Otherwise its extremely hard to visualize. Honestly, good job. Hopefully more people watch it. I have seen so many headset threads on here and I can't keep up with them all telling them to get headphones. Think there was two maybe three today alone that I answered.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

The thing about audio is that you cant precisely benchmark audio quality so that leaves room to a lot of false marketing claims and the placebo effect that Logan talks about in the video.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

That said I also don't see Logan as someone who would make a video like this without doing his homework first. I don't know what to think. 

Then you don't know Logan. He often pulls things out of thin air and say it in a confident voice, without doing any research.

Anyway like Mayflower himself said, if you got "sound cards are useless and can make your audio worse!" out of the video then you didn't listen carefully enough.

Oh and I've seen a lot of people cite the technical specs for headphone impedance, like "the Sennheiser HD 558 are only 50 ohms!" and that's not really true. The impedance of headphones depends on the frequency of the signal, so for example the "50 ohm" 558 actually peaks at ~270 ohm for certain frequencies (in the high base, low mids range) and in those instances you might actually need a decent amp even if your headphones has a low impedance rating. Just thought I'd add that before "you don't need a DAC and you don't need an AMP" becomes parroted on the forum.

The thing about audio is that you cant precisely benchmark audio quality so that leaves room to a lot of false marketing claims and the placebo effect that Logan talks about in the video.

Well, you can. You can show frequency response, harmonic distortion, measure impedance etc. Barely anyone does though, and most people don't know how to interpret the measurements.

There is so much false information in the audio world it's insane.

Someone who is selling audio equipment will always tell you why other audio equipment is inferior or there is no reason for you to buy theirs.

Can't wait to see what the butt-hurt Linus and Slick have to say on the next WAN Show. :)

Why would they be butthurt? I will always use an external sound card even if the onboard is good and I'm not butthurt.

hello

Makes me feel really good about having a USB external DAC

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

Why would they be butthurt? I will always use an external sound card even if the onboard is good and I'm not butthurt.

I am more or less kidding around most of the time on forums.. :)

Thoughts @LinusTech ? I know you kinda love this technology, personally I've never used a sound card before and may never will :P

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

I really want to see what's Linus take on this, he told us ASUS cards for example are an upgrade compared to the integrated sound on the motherboard.
I understand the video doesn't say sound cards are bad, they just say external solutions are much better.

Then you don't know Logan. He often pulls things out of thin air and say it in a confident voice, without doing any research.

Anyway like Mayflower himself said, if you got "sound cards are useless and can make your audio worse!" out of the video then you didn't listen carefully enough.

Oh and I've seen a lot of people cite the technical specs for headphone impedance, like "the Sennheiser HD 558 are only 50 ohms!" and that's not really true. The impedance of headphones depends on the frequency of the signal, so for example the "50 ohm" 558 actually peaks at ~270 ohm for certain frequencies (in the high base, low mids range) and in those instances you might actually need a decent amp even if your headphones has a low impedance rating. Just thought I'd add that before "you don't need a DAC and you don't need an AMP" becomes parroted on the forum.

Well, you can. You can show frequency response, harmonic distortion, measure impedance etc. Barely anyone does though, and most people don't know how to interpret the measurements.

Wow, no wonder my 558s sound weak occasionally for some sounds, now I know to crank it up on my E10!

I know cards with the sound core 3d actually handles all audio processing. A small point, but another proving how unusless sound cards can be

There is so much false information in the audio world it's insane.

Someone who is selling audio equipment will always tell you why other audio equipment is inferior or there is no reason for you to buy theirs.

dacs are better then sound cards, my family is very big in the audio market.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Can't wait to see what the butt-hurt Linus and Slick have to say on the next WAN Show. :)

>inb4 @LinusTech responds with a well-worded rebuttal which will make people love him even more without sacrificing his position.

dacs are better then sound cards, my family is very big in the audio market.

There is also the creative headset with build in sound core 3d...

There is also the creative headset with build in sound core 3d...

True, we tend to focus more on speakers and mics then headsets, we host singing events.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Yep this is why for my Astro A50's i use the optical out to Astros Mixamp and from that wireless to my headset 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)