[C#] Step by step projects

xenic
Go to solution Solved by straight_stewie,
7 hours ago, xenic said:

Just new to C#, I have some basic knowledge of other languages

.NET C# is very feature rich (well, c# itself is very feature rich too). It's very easy to get bogged down in all the syntactic sugar and alternative ways to declare things.

My recommendation if you are already an intermediate programmer would be to just jump right in. Do something like project euler or code wars to start learning the language. Be aware that code wars won't teach you the IDE, and may not make available all of the features available in *real* c#.

Otherwise, just pick a project and learn it. When I started getting serious I started working on a better Binary Search Tree than was available for .NET. (I'm still working on this project, no public version currently exists, although there will be one soon). There's only so much you can learn by looking at examples for other projects.

By far the best method is to start a project, and when you run into a problem, look at resources like Stack Exchange to find code examples for those specific scenarios.

So I'm looking for step by step C# tutorials on projects.

So far I have made: a calculator, text editor, tic tac toe game,...

I'm looking for more tutorials, but it's hard to find quality ones.

Any tips?

Sadly can't help with that, but have you actually wrote any code yourself yet? Seems like a great time to write something simple yourself to test what have you learned.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Do it yourself and learn from parts that you have trouble with, cause a full tutorial is like cheating. I for example learned regular C by myself and did a monopoly game for multiple users

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

20 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Do it yourself and learn from parts that you have trouble with, cause a full tutorial is like cheating. I for example learned regular C by myself and did a monopoly game for multiple users

there is no such thing as cheating, only making it look easier than it is, not everyone learns in the same way and at the same pace :) 

28 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

7 minutes ago, mikat said:

there is no such thing as cheating, only making it look easier than it is, not everyone learns in the same way and at the same pace :) 

The way I learn things, is by seeing how it's used in practice. 

1 minute ago, xenic said:

The way I learn things, is by seeing how it's used in practice. 

yup me too, but I always try to follow it up with a project that has a real use case because as I've discovered many times: there's always more to a project than you initially think

1 hour ago, xenic said:

So I'm looking for step by step C# tutorials on projects.

So far I have made: a calculator, text editor, tic tac toe game,...

I'm looking for more tutorials, but it's hard to find quality ones.

Any tips?

Are you new to programming in general or just new to C#?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

1 hour ago, straight_stewie said:

Are you new to programming in general or just new to C#?

7 hours ago, xenic said:

.NET C# is very feature rich (well, c# itself is very feature rich too). It's very easy to get bogged down in all the syntactic sugar and alternative ways to declare things.

My recommendation if you are already an intermediate programmer would be to just jump right in. Do something like project euler or code wars to start learning the language. Be aware that code wars won't teach you the IDE, and may not make available all of the features available in *real* c#.

Otherwise, just pick a project and learn it. When I started getting serious I started working on a better Binary Search Tree than was available for .NET. (I'm still working on this project, no public version currently exists, although there will be one soon). There's only so much you can learn by looking at examples for other projects.

By far the best method is to start a project, and when you run into a problem, look at resources like Stack Exchange to find code examples for those specific scenarios.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME