What got you into pc gaming / building?

Inception9269

Was thinking this over a little earlier.

I've played games on pc when I was a kid but wouldn't really consider myself a pc gamer back then. It mostly being games like the Rollercoaster Tycoon series and a couple other ones. Did play a few Star Wars games on pc back then.

Played a shit ton of Runescape back in the day, but still wouldn't consider myself a pc gamer in the slightest then.

In 2013 I guess is when I started dipping my toe into it, that buying when I purchased my first desktop which had a shitty AMD A8-5500 APU, no dedicated graphics card. Bought Civ 5 and racked up hundreds of hours of it. Also got Telltale's TWD and Wolf Among Us.

It's kind of funny what really got me into pc gaming. My favorite game in ps2 era was Resident Evil 4, and I saw that the game was on Steam very cheap so I bought the game without thinking, and when I tried to play it it ran horribly, me lowering all settings probably got it to 15 frames or so at best. 2014 was the year I started watching Linus I think. I remember looking on the requirements for the game, not having the slightest clue what any of that meant, I just saw gtx 560, so I was like "I'll just get one of those then". I was looking around and came upon EVGA's site and came across the 750 ti, my thought process being this should be better since it's 700's, other is 500's. Not really knowing what that really meant. I bought a 750 ti, a 4gb stick of ram (that pc only having 6gb) and also a different power supply (that desktop was an HP one and the psu looked like shit). It's funny cause I bought all that cause RE4 and I never even got around to playing it much on pc. Me going and buying and playing other games.

Downloading games was horrible back then for me. I either had to use my cellular data or shitty satellite internet data to download games due to internet in my area. What I'd end up doing is buying and downloading games to my laptop while at my friends house, then moving them to my pc later. I built my first pc in Sept 2014, it having an FX 8350 cpu. I reused the gpu, psu, ram and hdd. I did buy a 128gb adata ssd for main drive. It wasn't until Dec 2014 that I finally got fast and unlimited internet (had to buy a grandfathered verizon device from ebay). Jan 1st 2015 is when I built my second pc which I loved greatly since it was the first one I built I felt was awesome. It had an i7-4790k, that being the first Intel cpu I've tried and I loved that little guy. Motherboard was an MSI z97 gaming 7, had 16gb of ram. All the parts were new except for the gpu (I reused my 750 ti as I held out til I got taxes back, me getting a gtx 980 then).

My current pc is much stronger than that one (6800k, 32gb ram, gtx 1070) but my first Intel pc is probably my favorite since it felt like a big achievement for me. Love pc gaming and pc building.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

A few years ago when I started watching Linus tech tips was when I got hooked into the expensive silicon race. Since then I have built around 20 systems from scratch and refurbished and repaired countless others.  My current is also my first. 

Signature below has config

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

Just now, another random person said:

A few years ago when I started watching Linus tech tips was when I got hooked into the expensive silicon race. Since then I have built around 20 systems from scratch and refurbished and repaired countless others.  My current is also my first. 

Signature below has config

I've built a bunch of pcs over the years.

1st pc. FX-8350, 750 ti.

2nd pc. i7-4790k, gtx 980, 16gb ram, Fractal Design Arc Xl case.

3rd pc. This one I did for my friend, getting him into pc gaming. Same specs as my intel pc, except R5 case.

Don't remember if there were any pc between then and my current pc.

Jan 1st 2017, 4th pc. i7-6800k, MSI x99a gaming pro carbon, 32gb ram, reused my 980 until it died and I replaced it with a 1070.

5th pc. Technically this wasn't a successful build. I wanted to build a proper htpc so tried reusing parts from my HP desktop and other parts I had lying around, but it wouldn't work, so had to take it apart.

6th pc. This is my first successful htpc. Reused my z97 motherboard, bought a pentium g3258 cpu for it, Fractal Design node 605 case. Reused memory I had lying around, reused 128gb ssd, reused 750ti. Eventually that pc started messing up, I think the motherboard was starting to go bad. In the end i think it killed the 750 ti, later dying itself.

7th pc. This being an overhaul of my htpc. Ryzen 3 1200, 8gb ram, asrock b350 motherboard, and zotac 1050ti cpu.

I got into PC gaming in the mid 1990s since there were so many amazing shooters that you couldn't get on console. Plus the PS1/N64 gen of console games looked horrible while games like Duke Nukem 3D and Doom 2 looked incredible. Then a few years later my friends' jaws would just drop seeing GTA III at 1600x1200 back when PS2 was running the game at 480i.

Actually, to be fair I got into computer gaming in the 80s. Not exactly by choice though, back then the NES murdered DOS games but I could never convince my parents to buy a Nintento since you could play games on the computer and we already had a monochrome IBM compatible computer. Now if I had Amiga that would have been a different story, Amiga had some monster gaming machines in the 80s that made the NES look like crap.

1 minute ago, Inception9269 said:

I've built a bunch of pcs over the years.

1st pc. FX-8350, 750 ti.

2nd pc. i7-4790k, gtx 980, 16gb ram, Fractal Design Arc Xl case.

3rd pc. This one I did for my friend, getting him into pc gaming. Same specs as my intel pc, except R5 case.

Don't remember if there were any pc between then and my current pc.

Jan 1st 2017, 4th pc. i7-6800k, MSI x99a gaming pro carbon, 32gb ram, reused my 980 until it died and I replaced it with a 1070.

5th pc. Technically this wasn't a successful build. I wanted to build a proper htpc so tried reusing parts from my HP desktop and other parts I had lying around, but it wouldn't work, so had to take it apart.

6th pc. This is my first successful htpc. Reused my z97 motherboard, bought a pentium g3258 cpu for it, Fractal Design node 605 case. Reused memory I had lying around, reused 128gb ssd, reused 750ti. Eventually that pc started messing up, I think the motherboard was starting to go bad. In the end i think it killed the 750 ti, later dying itself.

7th pc. This being an overhaul of my htpc. Ryzen 3 1200, 8gb ram, asrock b350 motherboard, and zotac 1050ti cpu.

I've lost count.... whoops

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

Minecraft brought me into PC gaming. Back then I played on a Macbook Air 2012, which is only good for server games because it's a bit slow (in servers it does pull more than 90fps easily with good settings). Later, I decided to go heavy on mods but the Macbook will never have the power to get them running. That's when I decided to stop playing on the Macbook and use the i5-4460 without graphics card semi-custom machine instead (built by a shop for someone asking for an office machine). It worked well, until I tried out shaders, which ran terribly (refuses to even start the game). That's the first time I took apart something and really try make it capable of gaming.

At first I bought an MSI GTX 970 Gaming right away (havent heard of LTT back then) and tried to install the card. Not just it's way too big to fit in the case, but I couldnt find the 8pin PCIe power connector for it on the 400W GTR PSU (I now know it's a firecracker, but back then I dont). When I'm hesitating on what to do next, someone next door offered to take over the 970 for $20 more than what I paid, so I just sold it. Knowing what my machine can take, I decided to buy a GTX 950 75W edition instead (not really willing to do major mods to the PC just yet). Then I tapped into the webpage for the Minecraft shader mods, which says the GTX 950 is not good enough. That's about time when school examination approaches, so I delayed that plan until the summer holidays.

Then BOOM, AMD reveals their RX 400 series. Got an RX 470 for merely $130 from someone who just won the lottery and decided to go for a pair of GTX 1080s instead. Also replaced the bad PSU to the one I'm currently using. That's how I got into PC gaming.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Honestly?  Having friends who were into it.  None of them know how to build PCs, but they had gaming PCs.  They talked me into building my first PC and I'm glad they did.  I was just about done with gaming altogether before that.  

But they kept talking about mods and how great it was.  So I finally caved, and ordered some parts.  

Funnily enough, I barely use mods now.  Literally the only mod I have on my computer at all right now is to fix the broken chat system for Fallout 4.

My first PC had an AMD Athlon X4 860K, 8GB of RAM, GTX 950, and this ugly Vivo case that still holds a place in my heart.  I sold the GPU to someone and made enough to buy the 780 I have now.  

When Ryzen 5 came out I finally upgraded the CPU.  

Honestly I'm sticking with AM4, especially since AMD announced support till 2020. Who know's what my next GPU will be. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Friends playing minecraft also got me into gaming, though while I got really good at that game after a thousand hours of playtime, only then I started to diversify the games I played. I was tinkering and messing with computers before I really got into it (I first upgraded my graphics card and ram in a hp prebuilt) but LinusTechTips really got me into it.

20 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Minecraft brought me into PC gaming. Back then I played on a Macbook Air 2012, which is only good for server games because it's a bit slow (in servers it does pull more than 90fps easily with good settings). Later, I decided to go heavy on mods but the Macbook will never have the power to get them running. That's when I decided to stop playing on the Macbook and use the i5-4460 without graphics card semi-custom machine instead (built by a shop for someone asking for an office machine). It worked well, until I tried out shaders, which ran terribly (refuses to even start the game). That's the first time I took apart something and really try make it capable of gaming.

At first I bought an MSI GTX 970 Gaming right away (havent heard of LTT back then) and tried to install the card. Not just it's way too big to fit in the case, but I couldnt find the 8pin PCIe power connector for it on the 400W GTR PSU (I now know it's a firecracker, but back then I dont). When I'm hesitating on what to do next, someone next door offered to take over the 970 for $20 more than what I paid, so I just sold it. Knowing what my machine can take, I decided to buy a GTX 950 75W edition instead (not really willing to do major mods to the PC just yet). Then I tapped into the webpage for the Minecraft shader mods, which says the GTX 950 is not good enough. That's about time when school examination approaches, so I delayed that plan until the summer holidays.

Then BOOM, AMD reveals their RX 400 series. Got an RX 470 for merely $130 from someone who just won the lottery and decided to go for a pair of GTX 1080s instead. Also replaced the bad PSU to the one I'm currently using. That's how I got into PC gaming.

3 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Friends playing minecraft also got me into gaming, though while I got really good at that game after a thousand hours of playtime, only then I started to diversify the games I played. I was tinkering and messing with computers before I really got into it (I first upgraded my graphics card and ram in a hp prebuilt) but LinusTechTips really got me into it.

I got too much into Minecraft for my own good years ago...

Played a cracked version in 2012, didn't legit buy it until 2013, don't remember if that was before or after my HP pc. I started playing online, and really became part of this one server. It was fairly small, on average 10 or so people at a time, sometimes peaking into the 20's and sometimes 30's. It was a thing where I played way too much and we became like a community with how everyone knew each other. I'm not kidding when I say I spent too much time in MC. Back during that time if I wasn't working then I was playing on that server from when I woke up to when I slept. Also ended up blowing over $350 on that server over that time with donations and other shit... I wish I didn't spend that kind of money back then (it was $350 over the course of a year, not just me spending that much at once).

Things ended and that community fell apart. I've fallen into patterns where I don't touch the game for nearly a year, then play it and get addicted to it in a sense, playing in my free time and all waking hours. It wouldn't end until I've been banned from the servers. It being a cycle like that. Last time I got into mc though I believe was 2016.

The funny thing though is when I play it like that I hate the game very much and want to quit, but I grow really attached to the communities of servers I'm in and don't want to just leave them. And I also get really proud of the houses and bases I build in it and don't want to leave those. It typically takes me getting banned to stop playing.

Fortunately I don't get that way anymore and don't want to touch it at all.

The first game was probably Minecraft like most people, which I played on an IMac. Played alot of Gmod aswell but it really took off when I got my first PC was an HP Envy Phoenix 800-000a to play X-Plane 10 on. I had a 2012 Macbook Pro (still do to this day, has 10 gig of ram) which was fine but the GT 640 in the HP destroyed the HD 4000 in the Macbook. I built my own PC using parts from the HP (CPU, motherboard, storage, etc...) and put a 1060 6gb in. It's a great PC but may have to change CPU soon due to it slowing up a bit.

3 minutes ago, kittycannon said:

The first game was probably Minecraft like most people, which I played on an IMac. Played alot of Gmod aswell but it really took off when I got my first PC was an HP Envy Phoenix 800-000a to play X-Plane 10 on. I had a 2012 Macbook Pro (still do to this day, has 10 gig of ram) which was fine but the GT 640 in the HP destroyed the HD 4000 in the Macbook. I built my own PC using parts from the HP (CPU, motherboard, storage, etc...) and put a 1060 6gb in. It's a great PC but may have to change CPU soon due to it slowing up a bit.

depending on your usage would probably recommend a Ryzen 5 1400 based system.

I am fond of Ryzen, them being good affordable cpus, and also has more affordable motherboards than Intel ones. I plan on doing my next main pc build in 2019 going with Ryzen once they release the 7nm cpus.

44 minutes ago, Inception9269 said:

I've played games on pc when I was a kid but wouldn't really consider myself a pc gamer back then. It mostly being games like the Rollercoaster Tycoon series and a couple other ones. Did play a few Star Wars games on pc back then.

Played a shit ton of Runescape back in the day, but still wouldn't consider myself a pc gamer in the slightest then.

In 2013 I guess is when I started dipping my toe into it, that buying when I purchased my first desktop which had a shitty AMD A8-5500 APU, no dedicated graphics card. Bought Civ 5 and racked up hundreds of hours of it. Also got Telltale's TWD and Wolf Among Us.

It's kind of funny what really got me into pc gaming. My favorite game in ps2 era was Resident Evil 4, and I saw that the game was on Steam very cheap so I bought the game without thinking, and when I tried to play it it ran horribly, me lowering all settings probably got it to 15 frames or so at best. 2014 was the year I started watching Linus I think. I remember looking on the requirements for the game, not having the slightest clue what any of that meant, I just saw gtx 560, so I was like "I'll just get one of those then". I was looking around and came upon EVGA's site and came across the 750 ti, my thought process being this should be better since it's 700's, other is 500's. Not really knowing what that really meant. I bought a 750 ti, a 4gb stick of ram (that pc only having 6gb) and also a different power supply (that desktop was an HP one and the psu looked like shit). It's funny cause I bought all that cause RE4 and I never even got around to playing it much on pc. Me going and buying and playing other games.

Downloading games was horrible back then for me. I either had to use my cellular data or shitty satellite internet data to download games due to internet in my area. What I'd end up doing is buying and downloading games to my laptop while at my friends house, then moving them to my pc later. I built my first pc in Sept 2014, it having an FX 8350 cpu. I reused the gpu, psu, ram and hdd. I did buy a 128gb adata ssd for main drive. It wasn't until Dec 2014 that I finally got fast and unlimited internet (had to buy a grandfathered verizon device from ebay). Jan 1st 2015 is when I built my second pc which I loved greatly since it was the first one I built I felt was awesome. It had an i7-4790k, that being the first Intel cpu I've tried and I loved that little guy. Motherboard was an MSI z97 gaming 7, had 16gb of ram. All the parts were new except for the gpu (I reused my 750 ti as I held out til I got taxes back, me getting a gtx 980 then).

My current pc is much stronger than that one (6800k, 32gb ram, gtx 1070) but my first Intel pc is probably my favorite since it felt like a big achievement for me. Love pc gaming and pc building.

God dammit there's a lot to say about that.

Until 2008( I am at the moment 20, almost turning 21 and I've been using the PC since 3 and a half years old. Yes I know it might sound weird but at that time I fell in love with the keyboard LOL and loved to write things etc ) I was using some AMD CPUs. As far as I remember Ahtlon 64 and when it died I switched to a sempron, both running DDR2 memory and ~ 2gigs of ram(it was soo much ram at that time). I couldn't remember the GPU but I am pretty sure it was not integrated. It was some nvidia Geforce blah-blah dedicated GPU with 256mb of vram. In the summer of 2008 my first and ancient PC died. CPU was not working anymore and when I tried to change it.. the motherboard died. So I had to replace my computer with something new. So I went with my pops to a local computer store and asked that guy over there for a PC that can run games pretty well and also handle other programs such as Microsoft Word etc. He gave me options, Intel or AMD. At first I thought what a great option to get that AMD CPU but after all I regretted somehow. It was an AMD Athlon II 255, rated at 3.1 ghz and overclocked by me at 3.4(there's where I firstly started to overclock things after watching some tutorials) and I didn't damage it at all. It still works. At first it didn't have a dedicated GPU so I had to play with that internal GPU, making my gaming experience garbage, so after a long period of time, my b-day came through, so my parents bought me a GPU, not that expensive but still good. A GT430 that made me able to play games until 2016 and I bet it still runs some. ( PS. GPU works too, also mobo xD ) At the end of 2016 I really needed an upgrade but with less money that I had this year so I went with a F2A88X-HD3P from Gigabyte and an AMD Athlon 880k rated at 4.0ghz with turbo to 4.2ghz. Everything was running pretty smooth, excepting that the GPU was kinda old and I wanted something new and better because first of all, why not? and because of Forza Horizon 3.(it came on PC soo I had to buy it) I checked the internet and my old GPU(the gt430) was not able to run FH3 so I had to update, right? That's what I did. I got some money from my relatives and I went buying a new GPU. At that time with only $200 I was able to buy a GTX1050ti and I kinda needed it fast. So instead of waiting and buying maybe a 1060 with 6gigs of ram, I went and bought the 1050ti and to be honest I do not regret that at all since it performs great. The last year, by that I mean the end of 2017 I noticed that my 880k was not running most of my games smooth at all and I was getting at almost each game of mine random freezes. When I checked it was running at almost 100% on each game so I thought I needed an upgrade. Thanks to college money I gathered as much as I could and went shopping again. This time it must be something greater than the last two times I thought for my self. And checked the internet for over two months, trying to decided what side should I go with. This time Intel was the choice for me, so I went with the latest gen of Intel CPUs. Coffee-lake generation. As my signature says, at this moment I am running an i5-8600k not overclocked at the moment, with a CoolerMaster 212x cooler, a Z370 HD3P motherboard, a GTX1050ti windforce OC GPU, eight gigs of DDR4 ram and a 550 PSU from Corsair.( I know the PSU is not the best and I'd better upgrade it sooner ) And now besides the parts I'm using I am also trying to upgrade the looks of it. Already ordered a new case, because I am still using the one I had in the PC from 2008. The one I ordered is most probably a no-named for some of you but in my country the manufacturer is well known for the UPS's they've made. The name of it is nJoy Ice Cage if you want to do  a little bit of research.

PS: I hope I won't get you bored after reading this and I hope I don't have any grammar issues. I am trying to accommodate my self with a new keyboard. The G810 Orion Spectrum RGB from Logitech and it is also 9 AM and I just woke up.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

8 minutes ago, Inception9269 said:

depending on your usage would probably recommend a Ryzen 5 1400 based system.

I am fond of Ryzen, them being good affordable cpus, and also has more affordable motherboards than Intel ones. I plan on doing my next main pc build in 2019 going with Ryzen once they release the 7nm cpus.

Hopefully when they release the new CPUs the old ones will drop a bit in price, which would be a good time for me to upgrade.

1 hour ago, Inception9269 said:

I'm younger, so all I can say is that I played Minecraft on my home computer. Switched around some laptops here and there, and last year I bought this. Upgraded this year from a 960 to a 1080.

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

The old Nintendo (NES) is what got me into gaming.  Most of my PC games weren't especially demanding, so I basically stuck with old hardware that no one else wanted.  It wasn't until I finally got fed up with the 1GHz K75 Athlon in about 2007 (or 08?) that I built a gaming PC.  Started with a Pentium E2200, 2GB of DDR2-800 RAM and a GeForce 7300GT with 256MB of dedicated RAM, and compared to what I was used to using, it was blindingly fast!  And then a couple years later I upgraded to a Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4GB of RAM and an 8800GT.  I still keep that PC running as a spare in the basement because it's still reasonably fast after putting in an SSD, but I have a new one now for my main PC gaming.  Of course I had to use one of our cases when I built the new one. :D 

When my brand new Celeron 400 PC had problems and the Vendor did not help at all I had to buck up and fix it myself my 8.4 gig Hard drive was filled quickly. The cpu had no TIM no joke.

I decided I'm gonna do it all from now on. I love those AMD chips back then they rocked!!! My next PC was a AMD 2500+ loved it.

Age of empires and Claw were basically my starting points in pc gaming... What got me into pc build was the fact that I love to pick apart things and one day I did exactly that with our pc at home lol

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Back in 97 or 98 I was in High School and taking a CAD class at the tech center.  The computers were all 386 486 or 586 but the teacher would often times just leave us be in the classroom and we would always LAN doom.  The first family PC was a Pentium MMX 200mhz and I did all of my learning on that, and by learning I mean clicking every setting I could and eventually nerfing the machine by compressing the C drive lol.  After that I moved to another city in state for a year in 02ish and it was my first exposure to actual high bandwidth internet, I had gone to a few lan parties before that but this was the first time I really did a lot of PC gaming.  I played a crap load of Diablo2.  Then in 04 I built my first PC, Athlon XP-M 2800+ barton and overclocked it to high heaven.  Been a proud member of the PC Master Race ever since.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

54 minutes ago, LordofGangsters said:

Played Midtown Madness 2 all the time. Then discovered that there were other games.

That was a good one.  I still play it now and then.  First time I played it was on an HP computer with a 500MHz Celeron and got an average of about 12FPS!

Xbox one grapics

*shivers*

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What first got me into PC gaming?
Well I've always been a gamer, console gaming and PC gaming were both within my reach for pretty much my entire life. I haven't felt a need to discriminate against either since then to honestly think about it. However, I haven't started building computers, until approximately two years ago, and ever since than I have enjoyed computer hardware, and increasingly other electronics as well. Some of the first games I played on PC were Runescape, Battleon, Insanequiriam and the rollar coaster tycoon series.

3 hours ago, Strike105X said:

My first introduction with gaming as a whole was in the 90's, a cousin of mine had a pc and he allowed me a lot of time to play on it, both of us playing things like heretic, GTA, DOOM, Syndicate, Tycoon, Heroes of Might And Magic 1 & 2. The first gaming devices i later had where an atari 2600 clone and a NES clone, have nothing against console gaming but compared to the fun i had on PC there where very few titles that impressed me on those two consoles at the time. It would be much later that i got to afford to own my own PC but i absolutely loved it, though besides just PC gaming i also love a lot emulation. Since where sharing, this are the builds i had through time (the HTPC build is a reuse of a lot of parts from the retired FX4300 build):

k5cyJ0Y.png

did you make that graphic yourself?