Black blocks and pixelation in dark areas

Wissam6990
Go to solution Solved by vanished,
8 minutes ago, Wissam6990 said:

what do you mean a 6 bit panel ? what monitors do you recommend for perfect colors and image quality ? 

Well most monitors are 8 bit, with the exception of a) very very cheap crappy ones, b) high refresh rate ones like yours that sacrifice image quality for speed without making the price too high, and c) professional monitors that are 10 bit.

Essentially it's the number of distinct levels each subpixel can take on.  28 = 256, which is the range of values that every normal modern consumer devices works with.  That's per channel, so with R G and B you get 2563, which is the 16.7M colours you see advertised on most displays.  With a 6 bit panel you just get 26 = 64 per channel, and then the combination of how these turn into the full displayable range is a bit more complicated than what I want to get into but they use tricks to try to simulate as much of the 2563 (16.7M) colours that you would expect as possible.  This leaves visible artifacts however and that might be what you are seeing.  If this is the case there's nothing we can do to "fix" that, it's just how the monitor looks.

Hi! I revently bought an LG 24gm79g its 144hz monitor with amd freesync and 1ms response time. But there are like blocks and squares like artifacts that i notice in dark areas in games. Its worsr when watching a video rather than playing games. Its frustrating please help

Are you using the "Black Stabilizer"?  I can imagine it making things look quite poor

Also that's a 6 bit panel that uses dithering so that would also explain it.

Have a look at this page: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Sounds normal for those high refresh rate monitors. Sacrifice colors/blacks for refresh rates

22 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Are you using the "Black Stabilizer"?  I can imagine it making things look quite poor

Also that's a 6 bit panel that uses dithering so that would also explain it.

Have a look at this page: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

tuning down Black stabilizer helped but didnt really solve the problem. take a look yourself :(

20180219_052842.jpg

Just now, Wissam6990 said:

tuning down Black stabilizer helped but didnt really solve the problem. take a look yourself :(

Oh yeah that does look quite poor.  Are your brightness and contrast settings correct, and perhaps most importantly in this case, gamma?  Other tabs on the link I sent above will help you get that sorted if you need.

That said I worry that it might just look like this and there's nothing you can do.  As I said it's a 6 bit panel so it's not going to produce all 16.7 M colours you expect perfectly - there will be some dithering or some other tricks and this may manifest in unpleasant visuals.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh yeah that does look quite poor.  Are your brightness and contrast settings correct, and perhaps most importantly in this case, gamma?  Other tabs on the link I sent above will help you get that sorted if you need.

That said I worry that it might just look like this and there's nothing you can do.  As I said it's a 6 bit panel so it's not going to produce all 16.7 M colours you expect perfectly - there will be some dithering or some other tricks and this may manifest in unpleasant visuals.

what do you mean a 6 bit panel ? what monitors do you recommend for perfect colors and image quality ? 

8 minutes ago, Wissam6990 said:

Well most monitors are 8 bit, with the exception of a) very very cheap crappy ones, b) high refresh rate ones like yours that sacrifice image quality for speed without making the price too high, and c) professional monitors that are 10 bit.

Essentially it's the number of distinct levels each subpixel can take on.  28 = 256, which is the range of values that every normal modern consumer devices works with.  That's per channel, so with R G and B you get 2563, which is the 16.7M colours you see advertised on most displays.  With a 6 bit panel you just get 26 = 64 per channel, and then the combination of how these turn into the full displayable range is a bit more complicated than what I want to get into but they use tricks to try to simulate as much of the 2563 (16.7M) colours that you would expect as possible.  This leaves visible artifacts however and that might be what you are seeing.  If this is the case there's nothing we can do to "fix" that, it's just how the monitor looks.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Essentially it's the number of distinct levels each subpixel can take on.  28 = 256, which is the range of values that every normal modern consumer devices works with.  That's per channel, so with R G and B you get 2563, which is the 16.7M colours you see advertised on most displays.  With a 6 bit panel you just get 26 = 64 per channel, and then the combination of how these turn into the full displayable range is a bit more complicated than what I want to get into but they use tricks to try to simulate as much of the 2563 (16.7M) colours that you would expect.  This leaves visible artifacts however and that might be what you are seeing.

Thank you for your help. I am gonna sell this one and buy something with a really good image quality. I don't really care about motion speed as much as I care about image and color quality. Do you mind suggesting some good image quality monitors please ?

10 minutes ago, Wissam6990 said:

Thank you for your help. I am gonna sell this one and buy something with a really good image quality. I don't really care about motion speed as much as I care about image and color quality. Do you mind suggesting some good image quality monitors please ?

I have a general understanding of what to look for and how (TLDR ignore the specs page it's useless, go somewhere good like tftcentral and check reviews and third party tests) but I'm not familiar with what's available on the market off hand so I can't name one specifically you should check out.

I got a tn panel monitor and i notice its so cheap in color reproduction, Also a lot of pixelation on dark areas why is that ?

because it's the cheaper bunch of TN panel. Good TN panels only do badly when it comes to viewing angles

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

In their nature, TN panels will have pretty mediocre colors and some difficulty registering black areas of the screen. This can be because of light bleeding through the panel material.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Return it?

It doesn't work like that in my country :/ You buy something, If it's damaged they fix it for free if its not well you cannot return there aren't any refunds here.

30 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

because it's the cheaper bunch of TN panel. Good TN panels only do badly when it comes to viewing angles

Oh thank you.

38 minutes ago, Wissam6990 said:

I got a tn panel monitor and i notice its so cheap in color reproduction, Also a lot of pixelation on dark areas why is that ?

TN panels are always trash vs IPS

You can change the shadow control or something in your monitor settings to improve black levels, but it makes things pretty dark

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

And this is why I'll always recommend an IPS display over TN.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

42 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Oh thank you.

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

Yea now people can decide easily i guess :P

1 minute ago, Wissam6990 said:

Oh thank you.

Yea now people can decide easily i guess :P

2 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

There are perfectly good reasons to have a TN panel though. Outside of cost there's an abundance of 144Hz 1080P panels for cheap and if you go IPS you HAVE to bump up to 1440P to find one with high refresh rate AND an IPS panel.

You cannot get 240Hz IPS panels.

Viewing angles don't really matter when the display sits right in front of you. Color accuracy should only matter if you're doing color-sensitive work like Photoshop. I have both a 144Hz TN and 60 Hz 1440P Dell Ultrasharp. Love them both for different reasons but I'd much prefer to be stuck with just the 144Hz panel.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Hey @Wissam6990! I have merged your threads into one. We don't allow the creation of multiple threads on the same issue, but I understand that you're frustrated and new to the forums. You can resume any discussion here, with the people who posted on the first and second thread.

Welcome to our community! Hopefully your issue is resolved.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

14 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

There are perfectly good reasons to have a TN panel though. Outside of cost there's an abundance of 144Hz 1080P panels for cheap and if you go IPS you HAVE to bump up to 1440P to find one with high refresh rate AND an IPS panel.

You cannot get 240Hz IPS panels.

Viewing angles don't really matter when the display sits right in front of you. Color accuracy should only matter if you're doing color-sensitive work like Photoshop. I have both a 144Hz TN and 60 Hz 1440P Dell Ultrasharp. Love them both for different reasons but I'd much prefer to be stuck with just the 144Hz panel.

Apparently my post got lost.  I hit submit then it just disappeared

Most people don't use 240Hz panels, and the ones that do tend to go for higher resolutions, or so it seems.

A lot of people are moving more towards multi-display setups though, and in my experience, TN panels generally suck for this.  Also, color accuracy is nice to have all the time.  I'd rather what I look at doesn't look like crap, since my way of interacting with my PC is through my display.  As for it right in front of you, most people don't have it at a distance of a foot or less, and most people do like to lean in a more comfortable position.  No one sits like a straight monolith their entire time on the PC.

There are decent TN panels sure, and unless someone has to have 1080p, 144Hz, I'm recommending the IPS display.  

Especially around the price range of 60 to 75Hz monitors.  Most TN panels in that range suck anyways.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 hour ago, Wissam6990 said:

Also a lot of pixelation on dark areas why is that ?

1 hour ago, Wissam6990 said:

It doesn't work like that in my country :/ You buy something, If it's damaged they fix it for free if its not well you cannot return there aren't any refunds here.

Sounds broken to me /\

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

Most people don't use 240Hz panels, and the ones that do tend to go for higher resolutions, or so it seems.

No? They definitely go for whatever gives them the highest refresh....?

TN is generally cheaper but there are some good cheap IPS panels.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

7 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

No? They definitely go for whatever gives them the highest refresh....?

[...]

I don't think that's true.  Everyone has priorities, but in almost every case those are "balanced" - few people just want one thing to the ultimate extreme and don't care about literally everything else.  This is why 120 and 144 Hz panels are still commonly sold.  They are higher than 60, but they offer enough improvements in colour and viewing angle, etc. over the 240 Hz offerings that 240 hasn't completely displaced them.

8 hours ago, Damascus said:

Sounds broken to me /\

Yeah I've never heard of just not having refunds, that would be illegal here

13 hours ago, Energycore said:

Hey @Wissam6990! I have merged your threads into one. We don't allow the creation of multiple threads on the same issue, but I understand that you're frustrated and new to the forums. You can resume any discussion here, with the people who posted on the first and second thread.

Welcome to our community! Hopefully your issue is resolved.

Oh thank you, I really didn't know that, It's jist that i dont have a lot of money you can say I'm a bit poor. I saved a lot for this monitor but as you see! That's why im just searching up and down for some answers. I'm just gonna sell this one and try and add some more. Thank you for informing me :)