Saved up too late for last gen, too early for next gen :(

These are some sad, sad times for me.

I've literally chosen the worst of times to build a PC. The GPU I want, the ASUS 1080ti is ridiculously expensive. Moreover, even if I was prepared to pay that much for it, which I probably would, I now can't because the 2000 series is coming and it would be pointless. I would only look on with envy at the new GPUs, regardless of how amazing the 1080ti is.

Add to that the fact that every monitor I want has a third of the people sending it back because the QA work on high Hz IPS panels is absolute garbage. Dead pixels and awful backlight bleed are littering reviews. And there is nothing I can do about it, except to buy a worse, cheaper monitor. It's infuriating.

I'm so frustrated. Just waiting and waiting. Waiting for miners to die a homeless death. Needed to vent. Can not live like this; below 100 fps.

13 minutes ago, Robyn Highart said:

I've literally chosen the worst of times to build a PC. The GPU I want, the ASUS 1080ti is ridiculously expensive. Moreover, even if I was prepared to pay that much for it, which I probably would, I now can't because the 2000 series is coming and it would be pointless. I would only look on with envy at the new GPUs, regardless of how amazing the 1080ti is.

Add to that the fact that every monitor I want has a third of the people sending it back because the QA work on high Hz IPS panels is absolute garbage. Dead pixels and awful backlight bleed are littering reviews. And there is nothing I can do about it, except to buy a worse, cheaper monitor. It's infuriating.

I'm so frustrated. Just waiting and waiting. Waiting for miners to die a homeless death. Needed to vent. Can not live like this; below 100 fps.

Wait two months, save up more, get a better CPU, more RAM an NVMe SSD or an SLI. Also Zen+ is coming. So yeah, too late for last gen too early for next gen.

It's always too late or too early for something. Components age within months, but performance doesn't so other than that good feeling of having something brand new there is really no point. but yea I'd wait at this point as well ^^

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

11 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

It's always too late or too early for something. Components age within months, but performance doesn't so other than that good feeling of having something brand new there is really no point. but yea I'd wait at this point as well ^^

It's worse with graphics cards IMO because there's such a big price premium on them. CPUs and RAM don't have such a big effect on performance either.

I’m in the same boat, my last gaming pc was build in 2011. I’ve stop using it to give Ps4 Pro a shot but I can’t take it anymore. I will pull the trigger this year but I don’t know when. Just hope the gpu price will go down a little with the new gen.

file

That's how every computer component is. It's just something you have to deal with when buying and selling computer hardware. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Whatever you save up for you’re always going to have that “if only I waited a bit longer for ___” feeling. My way of thinking is buy whenever you’re ready to do so unless you 100% know an upgrade is coming very soon (like max 1 month). Didn’t I read on another thread that NVIDIA have said they are not releasing any GPU’s in 2 months like everyone is expecting?

On 18/2/2018 at 6:41 PM, Robyn Highart said:

As mentioned by others, platform components arent at that much of a price premium. Put together a nice platform, case some ware cooling if you’d like and an nvme disc. Enjoy how stable compatability is atm and wait untill the gpu you are waiting for comes out. You can do with your old gpu or someyhing used and cheap untill then. 

At least enjoy that the above is a possibilty. I tried building my self a new rig back in 05 (?) where AGP was changing to PCIe, ddr 2 was being replaced by ddr 3 and intel had realized that pentium d was stupid and introduced i7 - with new standards for psu connectors. Maybe those things was introduced over a longer period of time, but for me at the consumer end it felt like that for a year or two at that time anything you bought would be incompatible/useless with upgrades within in 6 months. 

Oh and sata arrived with it’s own new connectors - and as add on chips with their own bios. Making them boot I seem to recall that you needed to have drivers at hand on a floppy disc.

Everything is so easy and interchangeable today. Enjoy!

don't FOMO.

be patient.  get a GPU you can afford, that offers best bang for buck.

nothing is future proof.

dont try to keep up with the Joneses.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

I totally get what you mean dude, The GPU I wanted to get (Asus 1070) was already affected by the mining so I waited and it got worse. (much worse)

I forgot what I was going to say...

At least you'll get better performance by waiting it out but the problem there is that the Ti versions come out months or year/s later if you're interested in those so that can be a pain.

I don't think anyone knows much about the next gen GPU's so I'll still be planning to get the 1070 but obviously, that will change soon if the rumours are true.

2 hours ago, ErykYT3 said:

I totally get what you mean dude, The GPU I wanted to get (Asus 1070) was already affected by the mining so I waited and it got worse. (much worse)

I forgot what I was going to say...

At least you'll get better performance by waiting it out but the problem there is that the Ti versions come out months or year/s later if you're interested in those so that can be a pain.

I don't think anyone knows much about the next gen GPU's so I'll still be planning to get the 1070 but obviously, that will change soon if the rumours are true.

Yeah, I basically want the non-reference Ti version of the highest next gen card. So could be a long while...

On 2/20/2018 at 10:22 AM, Napascj said:

Whatever you save up for you’re always going to have that “if only I waited a bit longer for ___” feeling. My way of thinking is buy whenever you’re ready to do so unless you 100% know an upgrade is coming very soon (like max 1 month). Didn’t I read on another thread that NVIDIA have said they are not releasing any GPU’s in 2 months like everyone is expecting?

My feeling is "I should have waited a lot longer" because Ryzen happened. :(

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I mean 2 months before 2xxx release and you have to wait another 2-4 months for some decent customized 3rd party cards. It sucks but if I were you, I'd wait 100%. I don't see why you are spending $1500 on gtx1080ti with next gen incoming in 2 months. 

7 hours ago, Zeketo said:

I mean 2 months before 2xxx release and you have to wait another 2-4 months for some decent customized 3rd party cards. It sucks but if I were you, I'd wait 100%. I don't see why you are spending $1500 on gtx1080ti with next gen incoming in 2 months. 

Yeah, I basically might as well wait until the next Black Friday.

Might as well just never buy anything then :P

A 1080ti will last a long time.  So will a 1080.  You're out to lunch if you think they won't or that you need the latest 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

8 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

Might as well just never buy anything then :P

A 1080ti will last a long time.  So will a 1080.  You're out to lunch if you think they won't or that you need the latest 

I don't really need the latest. However I feel like some heavy duty VR is coming next year. That's mainly why I'm building a new PC.