Asus Rog Strix B350-F gaming won't OC CPU

kiicki

I made a post yesterday about this issue, but no response. I figured that the post probably looked too long, and hard to read.

Anyway, no matter what CPU multiplier I put into UEFI, it will lock my CPU multiplier to x15.5 when I'm booted into Windows. I have also tried the "EZ tuning Wizard" in UEFI which is just basic overclocking. All it really did was to change the CPU multiplier to 33, but when booting into the OS, the multiplier is again locked to x15.5.

Some say that this depends on the CPU voltage, or maybe other features that is enabled in the UEFI, but the issue is still there if you leave everything, and only change the CPU multiplayer. No matter what CPU multiplier change I do, I will be locked at x15.5.

Ryzen master application does actually work with CPU overclocking, but you need to apply the profile on every boot. It also lacks features that I need/want.

• BIOS Version: 3803 (Latest)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3,2GHz Socket AM4 Box
  • CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Spire cooler (Stock)
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 PC25600/3200MHz CL16 2x8GB (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
  • Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 2xHDMI 2xDP 6GB
  • Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB

EDIT:
    Setting the CPU multiplier to x30 or x32 in UEFI, it will still run at x34-x37. This is probably because of the turbo. Setting the CPU multiplier to x32.5 or higher will result in the CPU multiplier being locked at x15.5

Im running the same setup Mobo, Ram, CPU with an running overclock at 3.7Ghz.

So the Bios Version isn't a problem. Maybe you try to reflash the BIOS?

- I deleted Ryzen masters application because it forced the ram to run at 1066~ even if Ram was overclocked in BIOS.

maybe its holding back your CPU too?

GPU: ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G-GAMING @1350Mhz 1.156V //// CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3,6Ghz //// MOBO: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING //// PSU: CX550

Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX LP DDR4 3200mhz (runing 3000mhz 16/18/18/36 T2)

OS: Win 10 64bit //// Full setup: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/BGHqdX

Have you tried overclocking the CPU with the RAM at stock (2133Mhz)?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

3 minutes ago, FroxIV said:

Im running the same setup Mobo, Ram, CPU with an running overclock at 3.7Ghz.

So the Bios Version isn't a problem. Maybe you try to reflash the BIOS?

- I deleted Ryzen masters application because it forced the ram to run at 1066~ even if Ram was overclocked in BIOS.

maybe its holding back your CPU too?

I tried re-flashing the BIOS yesterday with a USB stick. Still got the issue. I had issues before I installed Ryzen master application. I just installed this application later to see if this would solve the CPU OC, which it did. I can run my UEFI vanilla as in not applying anything, and just change the CPU multiplier. I still get stuck at x15.5

3 minutes ago, Eibe said:

Have you tried overclocking the CPU with the RAM at stock (2133Mhz)?

Yes, I have tried changing the CPU multiplier without touching anything else in the UEFI. Still got the issue. No matter what CPU multiplier I change to, it will lock my CPU multiplier to x15.5

10 minutes ago, kiicki said:

Yes, I have tried changing the CPU multiplier without touching anything else in the UEFI. Still got the issue. No matter what CPU multiplier I change to, it will lock my CPU multiplier to x15.5

Do you have the AMD Ryzen Balanced Power Plan? 

Also do you have C-state or "AMD cool and quiet" enabled?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

@op try locking your voltage. It's probably an UEFI bug introduced with ver 3803. 

Got the same thing on my RoG Strix B350i, locking the CPU voltage or having offset voltage set lower than 0.10000 is what fixed it for me.

2 minutes ago, Eibe said:

Do you have the AMD Ryzen Balanced Power Plan? 

Also do you have C-state or "AMD cool and quiet" enabled?

I got the AMD Ryzen balanced enabled in Power plan. I do not know what c-state or "AMD cool and quiet" is. Is this something you set in the UEFI? Even if I load my UEFI to default values, changing only the CPU multiplier to x32.5 or higher will result in the CPU multiplier being locked at x15.5

8 minutes ago, ecpowers said:

@op try locking your voltage. It's probably an UEFI bug introduced with ver 3803. 

Got the same thing on my RoG Strix B350i, locking the CPU voltage or having offset voltage set lower than 0.10000 is what fixed it for me.

Not sure what "locking the CPU voltage" is. It's either auto, or offset mode. It didn't work with auto, and it didn't work with having an offset value of 0.1000 running at x33 CPU multiplier. I still get locked at x15.5

EDIT: I also tried with an offset value of 0.08750 at x33 multiplier. Still stuck at x15.5

6 minutes ago, kiicki said:

Not sure what "locking the CPU voltage" is. It's either auto, or offset mode. It didn't work with auto, and it didn't work with having an offset value of 0.1000 running at x33 CPU multiplier. I still get locked at x15.5

I just downloaded the manual to see the options you have for voltage. There should be AUTO, MANUAL and OFFSET. Try manual voltage @ 1.30000v or so and see if it works.

Just now, ecpowers said:

I just downloaded the manual to see the options you have for voltage. There should be AUTO, MANUAL and OFFSET. Try manual voltage @ 1.30000v or so and see if it works.

I don't have "manual" for some reason. Only auto and offset mode. I checked again that I'm on BIOS version 3803, which is the latest.

Let's try something else. Does your motherboard have these options?

PHOTO_20180218_164416.jpg

7 minutes ago, ecpowers said:

Let's try something else. Does your motherboard have these options?

PHOTO_20180218_164416.jpg

I do have "Custom CPU core ratio" where I can select "auto" or "manual". If I select manual, I do get the "> FID" and "< DID" option. This is something I haven't played with as I only changed the "< CPU core ratio" 

Good! 8 DID means every 1 FID is 25MHz. So for 3800MHz (3800/25=152) you want to try 8 DID 152 FID. Hope this will get you on your way :). Also don't forget to adjust voltage accordingly!

52 minutes ago, kiicki said:

I got the AMD Ryzen balanced enabled in Power plan. I do not know what c-state or "AMD cool and quiet" is. Is this something you set in the UEFI? Even if I load my UEFI to default values, changing only the CPU multiplier to x32.5 or higher will result in the CPU multiplier being locked at x15.5

Crazy... how i already said im running the same setup, but ryzen powerplan isn't avaiable scince last Driver update... seems to be a difference between AMD and Nvidia driver updates.. need to check that.

GPU: ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G-GAMING @1350Mhz 1.156V //// CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3,6Ghz //// MOBO: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING //// PSU: CX550

Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX LP DDR4 3200mhz (runing 3000mhz 16/18/18/36 T2)

2 minutes ago, FroxIV said:

Crazy... how i already said im running the same setup, but ryzen powerplan isn't avaiable scince last Driver update... seems to be a difference between AMD and Nvidia driver updates.. need to check that.

Have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers? (18.10) These include the powerplan aswell :)

6 minutes ago, ecpowers said:

Good! 8 DID means every 1 FID is 25MHz. So for 3800MHz (3800/25=152) you want to try 8 DID 152 FID. Hope this will get you on your way :). Also don't forget to adjust voltage accordingly!

I just tried FID = 132, DID = 0 to get 3300MHz. I didn't adjust the CPU voltage as I just wanted to see if this small bump would lock my multiplier. It's still locked at x15,5. All BIOS settings is on default except for the custom CPU core ratio.

Just now, kiicki said:

I just tried FID = 132, DID = 0 to get 3300MHz. I didn't adjust the CPU voltage as I just wanted to see if this small bump would lock my multiplier. It's still locked at x15,5. All BIOS settings is on default except for the custom CPU core ratio.

Ok, can you try a CMOS_CLR (bios reset) and again try setting FID 132 DID 8 ?

32 minutes ago, ecpowers said:

Have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers? (18.10) These include the powerplan aswell :)

Yeah its all up2date... gonna do a clean install later on :P

55 minutes ago, ecpowers said:

Ok, can you try a CMOS_CLR (bios reset) and again try setting FID 132 DID 8 ?

I tried shorting the 2 pins but nothing. Don't have the energy to remove the battery that is behind my GPU -.- but will try that tomorrow.

37 minutes ago, FroxIV said:

Yeah its all up2date... gonna do a clean install later on :P

I read that if you want the AMD power plan, you need to install the Chipset directly from AMD. Not from the motherboard manufacturer. Maybe that will fix the issue? I have always had the AMD power plan, and I have had this system for around 4-5 months.

21 hours ago, kiicki said:

I read that if you want the AMD power plan, you need to install the Chipset directly from AMD. Not from the motherboard manufacturer. Maybe that will fix the issue? I have always had the AMD power plan, and I have had this system for around 4-5 months.

Yeah i fixxed that problem yesterday. Thanks for advice.

16 hours ago, FroxIV said:

Yeah i fixxed that problem yesterday. Thanks for advice.

I have had my Windows 10 change the power plan to their Windows balanced plan. Kinda annoying. Doesn't happen often, but it happens. Tried to troubleshoot if some applications I had changed it, but no luck in finding out.