wrong connector and cant find the right one

Go to solution Solved by marten.aap2.0,
1 minute ago, steelbull54 said:

power supply is a hx850 i  and it has 2 8 pin connectors left  but they do not fit the pin on the board the pin shape orrientation is diffrent .. square ,x,x,square as on this picture... and it has a port for a 4 pin and a 8 pin connector can i really just put a 4 pin in the 8 pin slot and that is all the power i need?

are you sure those 8pin connectors arent PCIe connectors?

EDIT:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor 8 pin cpu connector

Ok so this maybe a simple problem to most but i simply do not have a power connector that matches these ports and i was hoping someone knew what it was called or where i could find it so i can order it because it did not come with my power supply .. this is a X99 E motherboard and a eatx 12v cable of some sort

where do i find these.png

Those are three 4 Pin EPS connectors (or a 4 pin and 8 pin). These should come with your PSU, at least two 4 pins (one 8 pin). What PSU do you have?

What these connectors do, is provide power to the CPU. If your CPU needs more power (e.g. when overclocking), you need all of these, but your system will likely work with just one 8 pin.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

32 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Those are three 4 Pin EPS connectors (or a 4 pin and 8 pin). These should come with your PSU, at least two 4 pins (one 8 pin).

It's 4+8, not 3*4, the left 4 pins of the 8pin connector are mirrored

EDIT: you can see it in more detail here, and how to put the 4pin cable in the 8pin connector

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!

What is the PSU? Generally even mid range PSUs will come with the 8 pin connector, but the extra 4 or 8 pins aren't common until you reach higher end and/or higher power PSUs. Does the mobo work with just the 8 plugged in? If you're not overclocking, that'll still be adequate power.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 hours ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

It's 4+8, not 3*4, the left 4 pins of the 8pin connector are mirrored

EDIT: you can see it in more detail here, and how to put the 4pin cable in the 8pin connector

power supply is a hx850 i  and it has 2 8 pin connectors left  but they do not fit the pin on the board the pin shape orrientation is diffrent .. square ,x,x,square as on this picture... and it has a port for a 4 pin and a 8 pin connector can i really just put a 4 pin in the 8 pin slot and that is all the power i need?

EDIT:

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

3 minutes ago, steelbull54 said:

and it has a port for a 4 pin and a 8 pin connector can i really just put a 4 pin in the 8 pin slot and that is all the power i need?

check how much power the CPU needs and what the maximum is of the PSU on the 4pin, if its enough it should work

"Aeneas troianus est."

1 minute ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

are you sure those 8pin connectors arent pci connectors?

(wait a few sec for edit with picture, refresh page in few minutes)

the 8 pin connector on the board is eatx its in the diagram above as for the 2 8pins i have left for my power supply they may very well be pci connectors i think i might have gotten a box missing a certain cable 

10 minutes ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

EDIT:

ok i checked every where then looked up the cables the 850i comes wit hi do not have and do not see a 4 pin anywhere and the 8 pins provided do not fit but what yall are saying is if i get a 8 pin that matches the configuration above or a 4 pin that provides 12 volts it should work

what yall are saying is if i get a 8 pin that matches the configuration above or a 4 pin that provides 12 volts it should work

yes, you are not the only one with the problem (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3441169/motherboard-pin-connector-psu-pin-connector.html), he solved it by using a 4pin in the 8pin too. just make sure it can deliver enough power with just 2 12v cables. what cpu do you have?

a little bit of googling shows me that it should have 2 4+4 cpu connectors, but I think that isn't true.

"Aeneas troianus est."

6 minutes ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

yes, you are not the only one with the problem (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3441169/motherboard-pin-connector-psu-pin-connector.html), he solved it by using a 4pin in the 8pin too. just make sure it can deliver enough power with just 2 12v cables. what cpu do you have?

a little bit of googling shows me that it should have 2 4+4 cpu connectors, but I think that isn't true.

23845336_10100115414976418_945198316_n.jpg?oh=134000f93aa8354b0b770bb7ea732194&oe=5A8C795B

i dont have a problem with buying the connector but i couldnt find a 8 pin online that was the right one so i thought i missed something or miss powered something along the way

the I7-5820K has an average power usage of 140W, the +12V rail can deliver more than that, it should work fine

"Aeneas troianus est."

Just now, marten.aap2.0 said:

the I7-5820K has an average power usage of 140W, the +12V rail can deliver more than that, it should work fine

so your saying the 4 pin 12 volt is all i need on top of the 16 pin eatx power allready currently on board

2 minutes ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

but if i got the 8 pin it wouldnt cause any problem right?

Just now, steelbull54 said:

so your saying the 4 pin 12 volt is all i need on top of the 16 pin eatx power allready currently on board

yes, but don't you mean 24pin? thats is the default motherboard connector and thats how much I count on the image

but if i got the 8 pin it wouldnt cause any problem right?

that would be better than a 4pin, but both work fine, so it wont cause a problem

"Aeneas troianus est."

1 minute ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

yes, but don't you mean 24pin? thats is the default motherboard connector and thats how much I count on the image

that would be better than a 4pin, but both work fine, so it wont cause a problem

yeah 24 sorry brain fart been starring at these all night going insane looking for this missing cable thinking i missed something or messed something up 

all right thanks guys guess i gotta go buy another cable not sure where my 8 pin eatx power went