Is it worth buying a dac

Schram15

Yes. I have tried one of these and I believe it is worth it.  However, I ended up purchasing an O2 Odac (higher cost) with my AKG 7XX and ModMic. This is a link to Mayflower's newer version including a microphone input (saves a seperate usb mic input as realtek mic is terrible. https://mayflowerelectronics.com/arc/

For HD598, no. You might as well sell the headphone and add the money up to get a better headphone like HD6xx before start considering getting an amp/dac

5 minutes ago, xtroria said:

For HD598, no. You might as well sell the headphone and add the money up to get a better headphone like HD6xx before start considering getting an amp/dac

But if you get the HD6XX you would want a DAC. You will get sound out of onboard, but they will not run at nearly their full potential. And yes the 598s don’t have to have an Amp. But I believe that a DAC/Amp will make some improvement to almost any headphone. However, you can play the “Well better headphones is better than lesser headphones and no Amp/DAC” at some point you just have to bite the bullet and get one.

The 598 is built to run without amplification so you can use it on any device. 

So buying a DAC defeats the purpose. 

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

The 598 is built to run without amplification so you can use it on any device. 

So buying a DAC defeats the purpose. 

Not true. A DAC and an Amp is not the same thing. And no headphone can work without amplification.

OK I'm new to all of the dac and amp stuff, but i do love my music! If i've been doing it wrong all these years can someone explain what I need and why?

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

On 2/18/2018 at 12:01 PM, Jtalk4456 said:

OK I'm new to all of the dac and amp stuff, but i do love my music! If i've been doing it wrong all these years can someone explain what I need and why?

For starters what headphones do you have?

16 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

For starters what headphones do you have?

I don't have headphones because I have 4 kids. As they get older i will have headphones, especially for VR gaming, but right now i use a good set of logitech speakers

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.