Pirates Crack Microsoft’s UWP Protection, Five Layers of DRM Defeated

jagdtigger
2 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

Games are fun. Good DRM is not noticeable. Bad DRM is a problem and CD were a problem. Making an ISO file and mounting it was they way to solve it (keeping the original cd). At this time every game was on CD.

If a game dev used code that caused it to be  jittery every time you made your character turn right, would you blame the code, the code library, or the developer for choosing the wrong code?

DRM is exactly the same,  It's not the DRM that is the problem with the game, it is the developer not implementing the right DRM.   Some games are shit, UBisoft are kings of that.

What games play better when you circumvent the DRM? 

2 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

Privat copy are allowed. Breaking/working around copy protection is illegal. Germany since 2003.

Same here in Aus.  you are allowed to copy your stuff for private use but you are not allowed to circumvent DRM.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

49 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The reality is for the most part people don't want to pay and they are using any excuse they can.  

Or for those who are willing to pay, they just want the easiest solution to get what they want.

Of course I'm not going to trawl eBay to find a 10+ year old CD for a game that isn't available to buy digitally, wait a week for it to get here, buy a DVD drive, install it in my PC and install the game, I'm just going to head to a torrent site and have it working 15 minutes later. Equally, of course I'm not going to spend multiple hours getting some shitty cracked version of a game to work if the same thing is $15 on Steam and will work straight away.

5 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Or for those who are willing to pay, they just want the easiest solution to get what they want.

Of course I'm not going to trawl eBay to find a 10+ year old CD for a game that isn't available to buy digitally, wait a week for it to get here, buy a DVD drive, install it in my PC and install the game, I'm just going to head to a torrent site and have it working 15 minutes later. Equally, of course I'm not going to spend multiple hours getting some shitty cracked version of a game to work if the same thing is $15 on Steam and will work straight away.

So you are talking specifically about really old games while these guys are cracking DRM on the latest releases.    Don't try to justify cracking DRM on currently available and working digital content by talking about wanting to buy games that aren't in publication anymore.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Of course I'm not going to trawl eBay to find a 10+ year old CD for a game that isn't available to buy digitally, wait a week for it to get here, buy a DVD drive, install it in my PC and install the game, I'm just going to head to a torrent site and have it working 15 minutes later.

But the box and the jewel case and the other pack in material!  Getting classic PC games on eBay is AWESOME! (I still really need to find a boxed copy of Transport Tycoon Deluxe for PC. :/ )

3 hours ago, Pangea2017 said:

or make them a criminal when the cd copy protection prevent the cd from working. If you (just hypothetical) remove it you can acutly play the game you bought.

I had that happen with Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (still the best version of SC) when I switched to XP Pro x64 edition.  The game used StarForce, and it was not compatible with x64 Windows.  I tried all the various channels, contacting Ubisoft and asking them for an update to fix the problem.  And I knew the problem wasn't with the game itself, as the demo version would run just fine.  They completely ignored it and refused to provide an update.  I had to wait for a crack to come out so could play my legitimate copy of the game.

Every time I see people complaining about DRM, I roll my eyes like two bricks in a washing machine. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I had that happen with Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (still the best version of SC) when I switched to XP Pro x64 edition.  The game used StarForce, and it was not compatible with x64 Windows.  I tried all the various channels, contacting Ubisoft and asking them for an update to fix the problem.  And I knew the problem wasn't with the game itself, as the demo version would run just fine.  They completely ignored it and refused to provide an update.  I had to wait for a crack to come out so could play my legitimate copy of the game.

Typical Ubisoft support then.  I stopped buying ubisoft titles because I refuse to pay full price for half a game.

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

lol I was wondering why anyone would bother cracking UWP, wasn't at all thinking about UWP games. UWP games are dead to me, they don't exist.

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition is a game i really want to buy

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

lol I was wondering why anyone would bother cracking UWP, wasn't at all thinking about UWP games. UWP games are dead to me, they don't exist.

What about the upcoming age of empires games? The HD remake of the first game and age of empires 4?!

22 minutes ago, asus killer said:

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition is a game i really want to buy

18 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

What about the upcoming age of empires games? The HD remake of the first game and age of empires 4?!

58UIYO.jpg?nocache=1518941851852

And I never installed it lol. Windows Store only >.<

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

58UIYO.jpg?nocache=1518941851852

And I never installed it lol. Windows Store only >.<

i don't actually remember exactly if i installed anything but i think it cames with every windows 10, no install neeeded. The xbox app. And you can't even remove it, at least from the app manager thing.

7 minutes ago, asus killer said:

i don't actually remember exactly if i installed anything but i think it cames with every windows 10, no install neeeded. The xbox app. And you can't even remove it, at least from the app manager thing.

Windows Store is embedded in to Windows 10 but that closed beta can only be installed from the Windows Store, something I will not use unless AOE4 is AMAZING. I was so excited to play definitive edition I signed right up before checking any details about it, got that email and was even more excited until half way through reading it.

"Open the Windows 10 Store", well then I guess I won't be participating in your closed Beta then.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Windows Store is embedded in to Windows 10 but that closed beta can only be installed from the Windows Store, something I will not use unless AOE4 is AMAZING. I was so excited to play definitive edition I signed right up before checking any details about it, got that email and was even more excited until half way through reading it.

"Open the Windows 10 Store", well then I guess I won't be participating in your closed Beta then.

why?

it's slow, painfuly slow at least here, but apart from that it's another store i guess. I has a xbox 360 owner so i guess i'm more open to it.

3 minutes ago, asus killer said:

why?

it's slow, painfuly slow at least here, but apart from that it's another store i guess. I has a xbox 360 owner so i guess i'm more open to it.

Sick of all these "One store to rule them all stores". Steam, UPlay, Origin, Windows Store... hardly one grr.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Sick of all these "One store to rule them all stores". Steam, UPlay, Origin, Windows Store... hardly one grr.

Not to mention MS wants to kill win32 in favor of this inferior useless junk....

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

I'd just 'acquire' proper Office if that was the case, I mean UWP... why....

10 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

For the use of paid software for free :P

Personally I like stand alone one fee based, esp if it would cost $150, upgrade when I feel like it for what I need vs $110 per year... I'm paying $25 for each thing I would need to use per year vs 18.75 based on a every 2 year upgrade... Last time I bought Office it was about $120 (07 version), hence why I went to OpenOffice :) If Office was $75 per year I would gladly pay for it, but it's not, so OO it is...

Sneaky MS hiding the cheaper versions... To buy the full version is $170.

You can purchase office for $69 per year if you subscribe to Office 365 Personal.

If you purchase Office 365 Home then it's $99 per year.

Personally If I didn't need OneDrive and stuff then I'd probably use Libre Office.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

What's wrong with it?

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Not to mention MS wants to kill win32 in favor of this inferior useless junk....

UWP by itself is a really cool Developer Platform. The problem is that it's tied to the Windows Store.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

What's wrong with it?

UWP by itself is a really cool Developer Platform. The problem is that it's tied to the Windows Store.

Even their own apps are pretty lack luster AFAIK(heard it from many ppl) so i highly doubt it.

13 hours ago, leadeater said:

Cancer and a grenade with the pin already pulled out so you need to handle it with extreme care.

Throw it in a dumpster and do the explosion walk?

1 minute ago, ModuleLFS said:

Throw it in a dumpster and do the explosion walk?

UWP and windows store are so lame, that explosion would mostly sound like a silent fart with barely noticeable smoke coming out of it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Layers of Fear

Still would be cool if game devs used something like they did with Serious Sam 3 immortal scorpion and GTA4 drunken camera if game detected pirated copy. xD
That's a true DRM haha.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

51 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Layers of Fear

Still would be cool if game devs used something like they did with Serious Sam 3 immortal scorpion and GTA4 drunken camera if game detected pirated copy. xD
That's a true DRM haha.

or game dev tycoon, actually spreading a broken copy of the game in which pirates ultimately destroy your company.

20 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

It seems even UWP broke under the pressure:

SOURCE:

https://torrentfreak.com/pirates-crack-microsofts-uwp-protection-five-layers-of-drm-defeated-180215/

There is not much to explain, 5 layers of DRM were busted which means on more nail in the coffin(both for DRM and UWP). The sooner DRM and UWP die the better, they are nothing more than useless annoyances.

UWP isnt going to die because it was cracked lol. It's still much harder then win32.

20 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I'm fine with the DRM, but I'd love to see UWP die.

that is... wow.  UWP isnt really an issue by itself. The issue is with the store.