Kingdom Come: Deliverance

H86OuJp.png

I saw some topics about the game on here when it was still in alpha and beta but now that it launched, nobody seems to be talking about it?

Has anyone else picked it up? How many hours have you sunken into it already? Thoughts on the story (no spoilers pls), game mechanics? Ran into any bugs?

I didn't back the game on kickstarter but I have known about it since the very beginning and was looking forward to it all the way. Pre-ordered it a couple of weeks before launch which is something I don't normally do.

So far I played 22hrs according to Steam. So what can I say about it?

First, let's get all the bad things and flaws out of the way.

The game is very demanding. I have a more than decent gaming PC (specs in my signature) with a 1070, but I can only really run it on medium settings. Even then it often dips from 60 to around 45fps.

Running the game from my HDD resulted in extremely long loading times for some reason. I'm talking loading screens before every conversation with an NPC. Also, texture and object pop in like crazy. NPCs were casually walking past me with their clothes and heads not yet loaded in. It was pretty immersion breaking so I moved it to my SSD and it's been loading fine ever since. Note that this might just be my HDD acting up so take it with a grain of salt unless more people can confirm this.

There are a lot of bugs still. I ran into a couple, including an infinite loading screen in one quest which forced me to bring up task manager, close the game and start from my last save. Thankfully I only had to replay about 10 mins but this leads me to my next point.

The save mechanism. Saving in this game is only possible in three different ways as far as I'm aware. (Unless you mod it)

• Autosave when a certain point in a quest or the story is reached
  • Save when you sleep in a bed, though not every bed counts. I read that the bed has to belong to the player, but I used other beds and it worked sometimes, sometimes it didn't.
  • By drinking "saviour schnapps", an in game item which is expensive, in short supply and turns you into an alcoholic when you consume it too often.

While I like the idea behind it, and it certainly forces you to adopt a more careful and realistic playstyle, it sucks when you lose your progress because of a bug in the game or because you have to do something IRL and can't leave your PC running. I think they should make this optional, everyone would be happy.

Sounds like I hate the game? I don't. I really love it actually.

Medium settings still look very good, the game world is really believable. The world map isn't the largest for it's genre but  the landscape, which was handmade and is based on the real world looks spot on. I don't live too far from CZ and this is what the landscape really looks like around here. It's beautiful.

The game has a lot of historical facts, what you would call lore in a fantasy game. Everything is very detailed. The story is interesting and keeps you playing. The player character, Henry, is just your average dude, not some hero or chosen one. He's very likeable and relatable.

The combat system is a bit janky at times, but it's fun and way more tactical than in Skyrim for example. You can control the direction of each of your sword slashes and stabs and defending also works the same way. This of course makes it way harder to take on multiple enemies so even taking out two bandits feels like a big achievement. Which is realistic if you think about it. I also like the realistic needs like eating and sleeping.

In it's current, freshly released state and without having played all the way thru it, I'd give the game a 7.5/10. (8.5 or 9 if the bugs and performance issues get fixed by a patch)

So, let's see. Maybe I'm not the only one on LTT who enjoys KC:D.

bought it a year ago on their website. Put 6 hours into it so far.

Anywhere between 30 to 100+ fps in 1080p with ryzen 1800x/vega 64, high settings, depends a lot where you are. I have been on some extremely random spots where fps just tanked for no reason then went back up as soon as I moved to another spot. Sometimes cities will tank fps too, but other times not. The starting village, for some reason, has lower fps than the town where we meet our lord.

Story so far seems alright. Better than any ubisoft game, that's for sure (origins/wildlands/division).

Lockpicking is annoying. Fighting is really meh, the game just randomly locks on the enemy and even if I unlock it remains locked. Sure it's more complex than most games, so it's a plus, you gotta learn it, but it still feels like there's a lot of luck involved. Bows.... oh god....

There's a few bugs here and there. Weird animations sometimes. Especially lots of collision issues, whether with plants or other stuff. In one fight I got stuck on a bush and had to jump like crazy to try to escape from it, while being hit by the enemy. I had a strange bug where I was learning lockpicking from the dude, whatever his name is (the uncle of theresa?), and then he just run off and denounced me to the townguards? Luckly I had some cash to pay the guard, but still...

Saving is plain annoying. I understand the idea behind it, but today I played an hour, had to go do something else and had to spend 30 minutes extra, finishing the fighting tutorial, as I couldn't just save and leave. Sure, potions. I prefer keeping those for later.

Also had a weird crash at some point, some missing resource or whatever. 

And I run the game from an SSD, yeah, not bothering with an HDD. Some other people mentioned on Steam forums that there's lots of loading issues with HDDs and stuff so... Loading times aren't horrible, I've seen worse in other games.

Overall, so far so good. Enjoying it much more than Wildlands/Origins, that's for sure. Quests are more than just picking up stuff, going back 5 kilometres and repeat.

I have the game aswell. haven't sunk much time into it, just taking my time with it

I got a 1070 as you, can't run it very well even at low settings 1440p with an R5 1600. hopefully this gets ironed out 

I've thought about moving the game to my SSD. hearing improvements in loading times is big, since i waste a lot of time just waiting to talk to an NPC. might also try to compress the game files like i did with AC Origins

As for bugs, i ran into a few. the biggest one is an infinite loading screen at a certain point in a quest. i have no idea how this fixed it, but i just quit and waited a few hours. 

Another bug is collision problems, notably getting stuck. 

And sometimes at night, it appears eyes don't render properly, because everyone has demonic pupils 

There is a mod to let you save whenever you want(apparently there is a hard limit, but you can overwrite old saves). i have the mod installed and so far so good, just need a quicksave / quickload hotkey 

I agree on the jankiness. i still don't quite understand the combat system - might need more practice but that costs groschen. and honestly, the camera going crazy when you get hit is disorienting. i know Warhorse is going for a realistic combat, but this is nauseating

Horse-riding is janky as well. especially when you want to move quickly.

Other stuff

- match the gait of the other person

- cancel ongoing fast travel. only way you can back out is if you run into something (like a wayfarer), which is totally random

- and speed up fast travel

- pause during cutscenes

- speed up waiting

- found out if you don't have a torch at night, you'll get arrested. meanwhile other townsfolk don't have torches

- lockpicking is pretty tough.. can't get it lined up at all

Hi all,

Got the game yesterday Friday.

It runs around 75fps on my main rig (4790k+1080ti@1440p) in very high settings (motion blur off). So really smooth, although the cut-scenes run either at 24 or 144fps.

I have no issues with loading times since it runs of a ssd. However I have noticed some start-ups where the text wasn't displaying correctly in the main menu.

I think I just ran into a huge bug, but I'm not sure, The system just rebooted and at post the error Asus gave was: Power surge detected.

Now I can run Assassin's Creed Origins, The Witcher 3, and all other games without any problem, yet this game gave me a power surge? I checked event viewer, which surprisingly didn't show me any error except that the system didn't properly shutdown. No other device in my house had any issue either, so...I dunno.

And I, of course, forgot to save during the hour gameplay :(

Things that bother me at this moment are:

- Walking/running is NEVER matched with any NPC (yet)

- lockpicking is too difficult atm, also the animation when failed takes a bit too long.

- Horse riding can be a challenge when galloping and you spot a bend and there's a bridge, so far I've managed to ride in any river. Getting out of the river can only be done at the (wooden) bridges it seems.

- Some NPC glitching through animals, others walking into houses. Nothing I haven't seen before (Ubi).

- Saving is just a drag, this should be fixed asap. Just make it more like Skyrim (sleep saves or so). Edit: sleeping saves? Must try that.

All in all it is a refreshing game. The combat is still a bit clunky but that could be due to inexperience from both me and Henry ;) I'm going back now, and hopefully save before it crashes again.

Main rig: Mercury Hero

VR&HTPC: Nemesis

Test Bench: Old meets New

3 hours ago, The Viking said:

There's a few bugs here and there. Weird animations sometimes. Especially lots of collision issues, whether with plants or other stuff. In one fight I got stuck on a bush and had to jump like crazy to try to escape from it, while being hit by the enemy. I had a strange bug where I was learning lockpicking from the dude, whatever his name is (the uncle of theresa?), and then he just run off and denounced me to the townguards? Luckly I had some cash to pay the guard, but still...

You mean Peshek? Had the same thing happen to me but the other way around. I was messing around and attacked him, he ran off to the guards and I went after him. Game gave me the option to just talk to him and that started a normal conversation. (Welcome Henry... or something among those lines.) It was quite hilarious actually but maybe there should be some kind of cooldown before you can talk to NPCs again.

2 hours ago, Technicolors said:

I got a 1070 as you, can't run it very well even at low settings 1440p with an R5 1600. hopefully this gets ironed out 

I've thought about moving the game to my SSD. hearing improvements in loading times is big, since i waste a lot of time just waiting to talk to an NPC. might also try to compress the game files like i did with AC Origins

That's weird actually. I'm running it at 2560x1080 widescreen and as I said I get 45-60fps. (On a side note, widescreen is supported natively, no letterboxes on cutscenes, no stretched UI or anything :) )

If you can, you should totally move the game to your SSD. It makes a huge difference, I have no loading times now for conversation and normal loading screens are also a lot faster. And that's just with a regular old 128GB SATA SSD.

2 hours ago, SortOfGrim said:

I think I just ran into a huge bug, but I'm not sure, The system just rebooted and at post the error Asus gave was: Power surge detected.

Now I can run Assassin's Creed Origins, The Witcher 3, and all other games without any problem, yet this game gave me a power surge? I checked event viewer, which surprisingly didn't show me any error except that the system didn't properly shutdown. No other device in my house had any issue either, so...I dunno.

And I, of course, forgot to save during the hour gameplay :(

Things that bother me at this moment are:

- Walking/running is NEVER matched with any NPC (yet)

- lockpicking is too difficult atm, also the animation when failed takes a bit too long.

- Horse riding can be a challenge when galloping and you spot a bend and there's a bridge, so far I've managed to ride in any river. Getting out of the river can only be done at the (wooden) bridges it seems.

- Some NPC glitching through animals, others walking into houses. Nothing I haven't seen before (Ubi).

- Saving is just a drag, this should be fixed asap. Just make it more like Skyrim (sleep saves or so). Edit: sleeping saves? Must try that.

Don't know about the bug, seems kind of weird that a game would give you a power surge? This sounds more like a bad USB port in my experience.

I agree with all the other things btw, and yeah... sleeping saves your game but you can't just sleep anywhere. For example, sleeping in your bed at the Rattay mill will save, but sleeping in the camp in front of the gate to Rattay won't. 

The game looks great. It's extremely buggy, though. Warhorse have said they'll have a patch out in about a week and a half from now (2 weeks from the game's release), and I hope they'll be making at least a couple more large patches.

The very first quest in the game bugged for me, the last time I played it, with the hammer and nails I collected from the person who owed the debt being listed as stolen in my inventory, and unable to be sold in the village.

I've found there to be an abnormally big difference in performance between 1080p and 1440p. This chart is basically the exact performance I see in the game with an i7 2600k @ 4.6 Ghz and an overclocked GTX 1070:

https://www.game-debate.com/news/24532/kingdom-come-deliverance-pc-most-important-graphics-options-every-setting-benchmarked

_id1518453254_343178.png

I tried running the game at 1080p on my 1440p monitor, but it looked awful. So, I'm now running the game at 1440p and Medium settings preset, with textures on Ultra, and shaders turned to High.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Haven't meet any major bug with the game, yet.. touchwood. There is a couple of character animation glitches but not game breaking.

The only bug i've meet so far is where i found these 4 weapons at an empty house north east from Rattay and 1 of them is a Halberd that worth 1k and it's gone from my inventory after i slept for a save.

Graphic optimization is rubbish, impossible to maintain the game without a drop below 60 even on Medium preset@1080p. The game never use >50% of my CPU, i guess it's a limitation on either the game engine or Maxwell driver or both.

Anyway even with all that i'm loving the game, been waiting for something like this after Witcher 3.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

10 hours ago, chilicheeseburger said:
Spoiler

You mean Peshek? Had the same thing happen to me but the other way around. I was messing around and attacked him, he ran off to the guards and I went after him. Game gave me the option to just talk to him and that started a normal conversation. (Welcome Henry... or something among those lines.) It was quite hilarious actually but maybe there should be some kind of cooldown before you can talk to NPCs again.

That's weird actually. I'm running it at 2560x1080 widescreen and as I said I get 45-60fps. (On a side note, widescreen is supported natively, no letterboxes on cutscenes, no stretched UI or anything :) )

If you can, you should totally move the game to your SSD. It makes a huge difference, I have no loading times now for conversation and normal loading screens are also a lot faster. And that's just with a regular old 128GB SATA SSD.

Don't know about the bug, seems kind of weird that a game would give you a power surge? This sounds more like a bad USB port in my experience.

I agree with all the other things btw, and yeah... sleeping saves your game but you can't just sleep anywhere. For example, sleeping in your bed at the Rattay mill will save, but sleeping in the camp in front of the gate to Rattay won't. 

You're right, it turned out the tablet was the culprit. So..yeah..lol. Btw, the game should have a bedroll. Btw, how many drinks does it take before he'll get addicted?

8 minutes ago, SortOfGrim said:

You're right, it turned out the tablet was the culprit. So..yeah..lol. Btw, the game should have a bedroll. Btw, how many drinks does it take before he'll get addicted?

Couldn't find any info on that but here's a guide about all the alcohol related perks:

http://m.ign.com/wikis/kingdom-come-deliverance/Drinking

I applied some graphic tweak from https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Kingdom_Come:_Deliverance#Issues_fixed and that help smooth of the game better for me. The game hate borderless and windowed mode for me. Had to press Alt+Enter to enter exclusive fullscreen and enable Vsync for the best smooth experience.

Alt+Tab will break exclusive fullscreen so you need to press Alt+Enter again if that happened.

Review by Mack from WAB.

Had another bug today, if i activate archery contest in succession sometime the NPC simply refuse to shoot arrow and i had to disqualify myself.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

Had another bug today, if i activate archery contest in succession sometime the NPC simply refuse to shoot arrow and i had to disqualify myself.

Bugged out on me to with an infinite loading screen once. Another thing I noticed with the archery competitions is that a tie will automatically count as a win for the player.

BTW, Alt+Tab works just fine for me. And I'm running the game in fullscreen mode.

Another annoying issue: someone spotted me in a private area and told me to clear off. However I couldn't fit between him and the door so I couldn't get out. Luckily spamming the W worked. I had this also early in the game with a guard and a ladder, only then I had to reload the game.

Btw, I also installed the 'no need to drink schnapps' save game mod. Works great.

1 hour ago, chilicheeseburger said:

Bugged out on me to with an infinite loading screen once. Another thing I noticed with the archery competitions is that a tie will automatically count as a win for the player.

BTW, Alt+Tab works just fine for me. And I'm running the game in fullscreen mode.

Alt+Tab work just fine for me too but it will turn exclusive fullscreen to borderless fullscreen which is not optimal for me.

21 minutes ago, SortOfGrim said:

Another annoying issue: someone spotted me in a private area and told me to clear off. However I couldn't fit between him and the door so I couldn't get out. Luckily spamming the W worked. I had this also early in the game with a guard and a ladder, only then I had to reload the game.

Btw, I also installed the 'no need to drink schnapps' save game mod. Works great.

You will go thru any NPC if you keep walking/running in this game, at least that what happened to me.

I think i'm going to disable schnapps requirement as well.

Maybe your OC is not stable for the game. I had to dial down my RAM OC because of hard locked which i had zero problem with any other games/softwares. :S

With Volumetric Fog

Spoiler

RHwAA2X.jpg

Without Volumetric Fog

Spoiler

3nzd5En.jpg

Which one you guys prefer?

7 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Maybe your OC is not stable for the game. I had to dial down my RAM OC because of hard locked which i had zero problem with any other games/softwares. :S

With Volumetric Fog

Hide contents

RHwAA2X.jpg

Without Volumetric Fog

Hide contents

3nzd5En.jpg

Which one you guys prefer?

Definitely with!

I don't think it's my OC because that has been stable for years. And this bluescreen only ever happened once.

I'm stuck now at the first real Boss

Spoiler

Boss fight with Grunt. Has anyone managed to beat him? I'm at around 30 Health and he keeps kicking my ass :(

Edit:

Spoiler

I managed to beat him. With a bow and piercing arrows. Jumping backwards when he gets too close.

4 hours ago, chilicheeseburger said:

Definitely with!

Yeah, volumetric fog definitely give surreal atmospheric especially in the woods.

4 hours ago, chilicheeseburger said:

Boss fight with Grunt. Has anyone managed to beat him? I'm at around 30 Health and he keeps kicking my ass :(

I'm not there yet, keep doing side quests here and there. :ph34r:

Anyone use this tweak? I wonder if it will help performance at city like Thalmberg but then.. i'm using Maxwell with crippled/no hardware scheduling. Feelsbadman.

Im 35h in and its awesome. I had no serious bugs yet. What a refreshing unused setting and chilling Gameplay. I use some mods and a reshade preset tho. Grafiks are killer too.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

16 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Yeah, volumetric fog definitely give surreal atmospheric especially in the woods.

I'm not there yet, keep doing side quests here and there. :ph34r:

Anyone use this tweak? I wonder if it will help performance at city like Thalmberg but then.. i'm using Maxwell with crippled/no hardware scheduling. Feelsbadman.

I started accepting side quests as a way to save my game :ph34r:

What does the tweak do exactly?

8 hours ago, Praesi said:

Im 35h in and its awesome. I had no serious bugs yet. What a refreshing unused setting and chilling Gameplay. I use some mods and a reshade preset tho. Grafiks are killer too.

I'm at 32hrs now, which is quite a lot for me a week after launch. Haven't played a game that much (relatively speaking) since Witcher 3. How good is performance for you? 

49 minutes ago, chilicheeseburger said:

I started accepting side quests as a way to save my game :ph34r:

What does the tweak do exactly?

I'm at 32hrs now, which is quite a lot for me a week after launch. Haven't played a game that much (relatively speaking) since Witcher 3. How good is performance for you? 

Max Settings. ~45fps. With Gsync no Problem. I could get 60 with lower Settings, but im a graphics whore ;) .

20180217125156_1.jpg

20180218143326_1.jpg

20180218152908_1.jpg

20180218155017_1.jpg

20180218205716_1.jpg

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

2 hours ago, Praesi said:

Max Settings. ~45fps. With Gsync no Problem. I could get 60 with lower Settings, but im a graphics whore ;) .

Nice! Altough I have to say even low and medium settings still look pretty good.

By the way:

image.png.cee7dbe17aeb8e4bf3ce37bd3d62b2c8.png

I actually think I might have to check if some of the medieval buildings are still left and actually take a trip there. (The monastery is there at least, don't know about the rest)

Seems not much is left, no. There was a thread on Kingdom's Come Deliverance where somebody already looked into it. Entire locations such as the starting castle are gone.

Well seems a lot of people are having these issues:

lots of loading issues. I guess most of us use SSDs at this point for this kind of games?

I'm wondering if modern HDDs such as Toshiba's N300 8TB models who have 128mb cache reduce these issues? I've had read/write speeds of 500mb/s on them for a few seconds then drops to 200mb/s+, which is, sure, inferior to my sandisk ssd I use for games, but still close. (I think my ssd is 300mb/s? a pretty sh*tty one from sandisk, never buying from them again...).

"Personally I don't think an SSD should be a requirement to play a game smoothly, it should be optimized enough to run well on a mechanical drive, but I'll try it and see if it makes a difference. "

Well..... players want bigger/more complex worlds with higher res textures... wouldn't surprise me if in a few years you need nvme's to properly play some of these games.

So the developers took a vacation once the game launched? Optimization is a joke.

Even Ubisoft would do a better job.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti