USB not booting into windows

ryanmassey1337

Hey so my friend just built his gaming pc (he probably has the last 1060 6GB in the U.K.) and he is trying to boot inWindows off his USB (he installed the Windows media creation and put it on the drive) and it is just booting him back into the BIOS. Any suggestions?

most modern motherboards have some sort of "boot into this device" selector somewhere, try to find it in that list.

beyond that, maybe its the specific usb port you're trying it with, i cant give any direction on which port to try however, i have a system that only boots off of the rear USB, i even have one that only boots off of front USB, i've seen systems that have issues booting off of usb 3.0, i've seen systems that install off of a usb 3.0 port singificantly faster even with a 2.0 stick, and so on..

for the sake of completeness, have you tried the stick in a different computer?

Dumb question, did your friend put the Windows Media Creation  tool on the usb drive or did he use the tool to download windows and create a bootable installation for windows on the usb drive?  You need to do the latter in order to create bootable installation media.

If he did do the latter, then follow what manikyath said above.

41 minutes ago, manikyath said:

most modern motherboards have some sort of "boot into this device" selector somewhere, try to find it in that list.

beyond that, maybe its the specific usb port you're trying it with, i cant give any direction on which port to try however, i have a system that only boots off of the rear USB, i even have one that only boots off of front USB, i've seen systems that have issues booting off of usb 3.0, i've seen systems that install off of a usb 3.0 port singificantly faster even with a 2.0 stick, and so on..

for the sake of completeness, have you tried the stick in a different computer?

He has tried literally all the ports. Maybe he is doing sonething I'm not aware of? Maybe you can message him on Insta @duck.0n.quack and he can send you a video of whats happening. Otherwise I don't know what to tell him.

Thanks for the help tho.

On 2/18/2018 at 1:10 AM, ryanmassey1337 said:

Hey so my friend just built his gaming pc (he probably has the last 1060 6GB in the U.K.) and he is trying to boot inWindows off his USB (he installed the Windows media creation and put it on the drive) and it is just booting him back into the BIOS. Any suggestions?

Solution 1:

Check if your USB drive is bootable

Before you enter into the BIOS to alter boot order settings, make sure that your newly prepared bootable USB drive is really bootable. To test if your USB drive is bootable, you can go through our how to test if your USB is bootable tutorial.

Solution 2:

Check if your PC supports booting from USB

As you likely know, one can’t boot from a USB drive on a machine that doesn’t support booting from USB. In order to check if your PC’s motherboard support USB booting, you can either check your PC’s manual or enter the BIOS to see if USB boot option is present.

And if your PC doesn’t ship with USB booting feature, don’t feed bad. There is an easy workaround to boot from USB on machines that don’t support booting from USB drive. Follow the instructions mentioned in our how to boot from USB drive even if your PC doesn’t support guide to boot from USB drive and install Windows.

Solution 3:

Configure your PC to boot from USB

If your USB drive is bootable and your PC supports booting from USB, then you need to walk into the BIOS and configure it to boot from USB. In order to enter the BIOS, you need to reboot your PC and press a specific key as soon as you see your PC reboots. Most OEMs use either Delete, F2 or F12 key to enter into BIOS but we advise you check your PC’s manual or PC manufacturer website for the right key to enter the BIOS and to know how to configure your PC to boot from USB.

Solution 4:

Check the file system of your USB drive

If your PC supports UEFI and you’re trying to install Windows in UEFI mode, you should make sure that the bootable USB drive is formatted in FAT32 file system. In short, you can’t use a NTFS formatted USB drive to boot and install Windows in UEFI mode. In order to check the file system of your USB drive, connect to a bootable PC, right-click on the USB drive, and then click Properties to see the current file system.

Adrian Gates

Cloud Expert - Apps4Rent

14 hours ago, AdrianG001 said:

Solution 1:

Check if your USB drive is bootable

Before you enter into the BIOS to alter boot order settings, make sure that your newly prepared bootable USB drive is really bootable. To test if your USB drive is bootable, you can go through our how to test if your USB is bootable tutorial.

Solution 2:

Check if your PC supports booting from USB

As you likely know, one can’t boot from a USB drive on a machine that doesn’t support booting from USB. In order to check if your PC’s motherboard support USB booting, you can either check your PC’s manual or enter the BIOS to see if USB boot option is present.

And if your PC doesn’t ship with USB booting feature, don’t feed bad. There is an easy workaround to boot from USB on machines that don’t support booting from USB drive. Follow the instructions mentioned in our how to boot from USB drive even if your PC doesn’t support guide to boot from USB drive and install Windows.

Solution 3:

Configure your PC to boot from USB

If your USB drive is bootable and your PC supports booting from USB, then you need to walk into the BIOS and configure it to boot from USB. In order to enter the BIOS, you need to reboot your PC and press a specific key as soon as you see your PC reboots. Most OEMs use either Delete, F2 or F12 key to enter into BIOS but we advise you check your PC’s manual or PC manufacturer website for the right key to enter the BIOS and to know how to configure your PC to boot from USB.

Solution 4:

Check the file system of your USB drive

If your PC supports UEFI and you’re trying to install Windows in UEFI mode, you should make sure that the bootable USB drive is formatted in FAT32 file system. In short, you can’t use a NTFS formatted USB drive to boot and install Windows in UEFI mode. In order to check the file system of your USB drive, connect to a bootable PC, right-click on the USB drive, and then click Properties to see the current file system.

Adrian Gates

Cloud Expert - Apps4Rent

Thank you, he figured out the problem earlier today and hasn't had any problems so far. I'm not quite sure why it didn't work earlier but it doesn't matter anymore. Thank you for the help :)