Need help buying a controller for PC

Hielke

Dear all,

I am looking to buy a controller for my PC. What are the things I need to look for? Which once are best compatible and user-friendly? I'd love to hear personal experiences from you guys. I've never used a controller on PC before. The games I want to use it for are Dark Souls III and GtaV for now. 

i5-6600K 3,50GHz | Motherboard Gigabyte B150M-D3H | RAM Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4-2400 | GTX970 | 500GB SSD EVO | 2560x1440p 27" | Corsair 650W 

8 minutes ago, Hielke said:

Dear all,

I am looking to buy a controller for my PC. What are the things I need to look for? Which once are best compatible and user-friendly? I'd love to hear personal experiences from you guys. I've never used a controller on PC before. The games I want to use it for are Dark Souls III and GtaV for now. 

My father currently uses an Xbox One controller for playing games on PC from the couch.

We picked up one of these: https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/accessories/controllers/windows-wireless-adapter and then just used a newer Xbox One controller with the 3.5mm headphone connector and it works amazingly well xD

I hope this helps and good luck with your search for a controller! 

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

what is your price range?  Do you ever intend to use it in a competitive multiplayer capacity?

On the high end you have stuff like this  https://scufgaming.com/scuf-infinity-1-custom-controller/spectrum/white-soft-touch

And on the lower, but still very serviceable end you have stuff like this

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518896559&sr=8-3&keywords=logitech+controller

Name brand xbox and ps4 controllers would fit in between, and as far as I understand a ps4 controller works wireless out of the box if your comp supports bluetooth, whereas you must buy a USB adapter for xbox one controllers.  Bluetooth obviously introduces more latency than xbox's 802.11 solution, which both introduce more latency than with a direct USB wire

1 minute ago, raleighc said:

Do you ever intend to use it in a competitive multiplayer capacity?

If your playing a comp game on PC with a controller,I gurantee that you'll be dsetroyed instantly

My life

Xbox controllers are often compatible with any game that supports a controller. PS4 controllers require emulators to use with your PC, while Steam controllers are only suitable for a few titles. Therefore, I would suggest that you buy the Xbox One S controller. It comes equipped with Bluetooth, meaning it doesn't require a USB dongle to get it to work your PC.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

If your playing a comp game on PC with a controller,I gurantee that you'll be dsetroyed instantly

Rocket League

1 minute ago, raleighc said:

what is your price range?  Do you ever intend to use it in a competitive multiplayer capacity?

On the high end you have stuff like this  https://scufgaming.com/scuf-infinity-1-custom-controller/spectrum/white-soft-touch

And on the lower, but still very serviceable end you have stuff like this

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518896559&sr=8-3&keywords=logitech+controller

Name brand xbox and ps4 controllers would fit in between, and as far as I understand a ps4 controller works wireless out of the box if your comp supports bluetooth, whereas you must buy a USB adapter for xbox one controllers

I was very much thinking about something in the middle. 50-75 Euro/usd range. And no, I do not intend to use it in a competitive manner outside of racing games, I have my mouse and keyboard for shooters etc. My pc does not have Bluetooth, so, I am going o need a USB adapter then. Thanks for the info

i5-6600K 3,50GHz | Motherboard Gigabyte B150M-D3H | RAM Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4-2400 | GTX970 | 500GB SSD EVO | 2560x1440p 27" | Corsair 650W 

1 minute ago, Homeless Pineapple said:

Xbox controllers are often compatible with any game that supports a controller. PS4 controllers require emulators to use with your PC, while Steam controllers are only suitable for a few titles. Therefore, I would suggest that you buy the Xbox One S controller. It comes equipped with Bluetooth, meaning it doesn't require USB dongle to get it to work your PC.

I have a question, It might be a stupid one. What you're saying sounds good but I am new to pc building and I'm pretty sure my pc does not have Bluetooth. How do I build that in my pc? What kind of thing do I need?

4 minutes ago, Hielke said:

I have a question, It might be a stupid one. What you're saying sounds good but I am new to pc building and I'm pretty sure my pc does not have Bluetooth. How do I build that in my pc? What kind of thing do I need?

You can usually check to see if your motherboard has Bluetooth support if it has AC in the model number, though there are some exceptions. Chances are if your motherboard has built-in WiFi support, it also has a Bluetooth antenna. If it doesn't, you can grab any generic USB Bluetooth 4.0 adapter from Amazon.

Here are a few:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bluetooth+4.0+adapter

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Having almost zero previous experience with controllers in general, I got a Steam Controller on the last winter sale and I've been liking it a lot. Lots of customization options and works great as just a mouse for Windows. Supposedly better for FPS games, which is why it might work better for GTAV as well (and maybe Dark Souls too?). I've only tried GTAIV with it for a very short while, but didn't like the controller experience there in general. Could see myself getting better in Portal 2 though, so maybe just some getting used to needed. Mostly use it for racing games at the moment. Back paddles are great to have and the dual-stage triggers may be very useful too. 

An Xbox or a PS4 controller can apparently be set up to work basically the same way via Steam, so it's more down to which one you're used to more (or what features you like better).

4 minutes ago, Hielke said:

I was very much thinking about something in the middle. 50-75 Euro/usd range. And no, I do not intend to use it in a competitive manner outside of racing games, I have my mouse and keyboard for shooters etc. My pc does not have Bluetooth, so, I am going o need a USB adapter then. Thanks for the info

It may be easier to find the original xbox one controller bundled with the receiver.  Also I have heard that people have had difficulty getting the new audio jack to work well with their pc on the s controller, so I'd recommend the original.

9 minutes ago, Homeless Pineapple said:

You can usually check to see if your motherboard has Bluetooth support if it has AC in the model number, though there are some exceptions. Chances are if your motherboard has built-in WiFi support, it also has a Bluetooth antenna. If it doesn't, you can grab any generic USB Bluetooth 4.0 adapter from Amazon.

Here are a few:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bluetooth+4.0+adapter

I think mine does not have Bluetooth. Then what's the difference between these Bluetooth adapters, and those adapters Energy Eclipse linked before ( https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/accessories/controllers/windows-wireless-adapter)?

4 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

The most widely used/supported controller is the 360 wired pc controller, then comes the Xbox One controller (this has 1-3 games that don't work with it, as far as i know all others do, however i even so i do suggest it over the 360 controller it has better quality build and a better the D-pad). Last would be the Sony DS4 wireless controller which can be hooked to PC via micro usb to usb cable or via a bluetooth dongle and is integrated and officially supported by steam, problem is playing with it none steam games that require x-input (it can be solved in most cases).

Also if you have big hands or like big controllers you might one to keep an eye out for the Duke's relaunch that might be close by, should be compatible with everything the Xbox One is compatible with:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/5341601/microsoft-original-xbox-controller-duke-2018-release-date-price/

Thanks! I think i'll grab the Xbox one controller then. I will need an additional Bluetooth adapter also. Will I need software in addition or is it basically plug and play?

5 minutes ago, Hielke said:

I think mine does not have Bluetooth. Then what's the difference between these Bluetooth adapters, and those adapters Energy Eclipse linked before ( https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/accessories/controllers/windows-wireless-adapter)?

The Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows is not a Bluetooth adapter and only supports Xbox One controllers. The LE Bluetooth 4.0 adapters can be used to connect any Bluetooth device, including the Xbox One S controller.

If you are able to find a bundle containing an Xbox One controller + Xbox Wireless Adapter for less than an Xbox One S controller + Bluetooth Adapter, I would go for it. If not, the Xbox One S controller is a solid choice.

Desktop

Homelab

10 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

problem is playing with it none steam games that require x-input

Is that not solved by adding the games to your steam library and launching them that way? 

6 minutes ago, VonZigmas said:

Is that not solved by adding the games to your steam library and launching them that way? 

Non-steam games do not come equipped with a community profile menu. If the game does not support the Steam Controller, and you add it to your library, you will need to program your own profile. This is especailly the case with GTA V or Witcher 3 if you chose to purchase them through Rockstar Warehouse or GOG. Most games purchased on Steam will have 4-5 community submitted public controller profiles available.

Desktop

Homelab

9 minutes ago, Homeless Pineapple said:

Non-steam games do not come equipped with a community profile menu. If the game does not support the Steam Controller, and you add it to your library, you will need to program your own profile. This is especailly the case with GTA V or Witcher 3 if you chose to purchase them through Rockstar Warehouse or GOG. Most games purchased on Steam will have 4-5 community submitted public controller profiles available.

Well that's the problem of profiles, not getting XInput non-Steam games to work. Besides, that hardly seems a problem. Steam offers some of their own templates, which I found work just fine for, say, Minecraft with no tweaking. And on the topic of Minecraft, I just noticed there ARE community profiles for it, which I imagine to be the case for a lot of other popular titles too.

With the Xbox One controller you only need a micro usb cable plugged into the controller and computer, you dont need a wireless adapter unless you want wireless

Main PC(no name yet): CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 1700, MOBO-ASRock AB350 K4, RAM-16gb G.Skill 3000MHz, GPU-Asus Strix GTX960 2gb, CPU Cooler-Stock Cooler rn, Storage-SanDisk 512gb SSD/OCZ Agility 4 128gb SSD/2TB Toshiba, CASE-Corsair Spec-02 Redshift Edition

Laptop: HP EliteBook Folio 9470m

12 minutes ago, koolerone said:

With the Xbox One controller you only need a micro usb cable plugged into the controller and computer, you dont need a wireless adapter unless you want wireless

Same with a PS4 controller. Although I do recommend a wireless setup of some sort. I was gonna go the USB route if I went for an Xbox controller, but since the Steam Controller came with its own receiver, I really can't imagine having a wire running from it at all times.

After hearing you guys, and doing some research I've come to the conclusion that controllers are bullshit expensive! Buying a controller costs me 60 euro, and that is without adapter most of the time and with non rechargeable batteries! Buying a recharge thingy costs also 25 euro and buying a separate adapter also costs 10-20 euro. Even my razer keyboard was cheaper.

Anyway, thanks for all the info :)

4 hours ago, Hielke said:

After hearing you guys, and doing some research I've come to the conclusion that controllers are bullshit expensive! Buying a controller costs me 60 euro, and that is without adapter most of the time and with non rechargeable batteries! Buying a recharge thingy costs also 25 euro and buying a separate adapter also costs 10-20 euro. Even my razer keyboard was cheaper.

Anyway, thanks for all the info :)

They're not the cheapest things around as far as the main stuff goes (Xbox, PS, Steam), but you can get considerably less expensive ones like the Logitech linked above and they might work just as well for you. Wireless is also not necessary, which saves you from getting batteries and an adapter. I'd probably just get an Xbox One controller alone and then decide if the USB cable really annoys me enough to warrant spending money on a wireless setup. 

Also boy do keyboards get more expensive than that..

On 2/17/2018 at 2:43 PM, EnergyEclipse said:

My father currently uses an Xbox One controller for playing games on PC from the couch.

We picked up one of these: https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/accessories/controllers/windows-wireless-adapter and then just used a newer Xbox One controller with the 3.5mm headphone connector and it works amazingly well xD

I hope this helps and good luck with your search for a controller! 

I would go with an Xbox One Controller.  Tons of colors to choose from, you can you it via the USB dongle or Bluetooth.  Plus if you already have an XBOX you don't have to buy one 

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

On 2/17/2018 at 2:48 PM, Homeless Pineapple said:

while Steam controllers are only suitable for a few titles

No?

You can use them for any game.

My life

2 hours ago, Himommies said:

No?

You can use them for any game.

You can use them for any game, but the question is if it will work well.

Some games, such as Grand Theft Auto V, Brothers: Tales of Two Sons, and Risk of Rain work miserably with the Steam Controller. On the other hand, games such as Rocket League and Portal work great.

Desktop

Homelab

2 hours ago, Homeless Pineapple said:

You can use them for any game, but the question is if it will work well.

Some games, such as Grand Theft Auto V, Brothers: Tales of Two Sons, and Risk of Rain work miserably with the Steam Controller. On the other hand, games such as Rocket League and Portal work great.

?

I've used a steam controller with all of those games and found the experience to be almost always at least on par with Xbone controllers once you got used to it.

My life