Help me pimp my WIFI

Nickco43

Useful info:

4000sq ft building

Verizon Fios gig fiber connection

Cat 5e is run throughout the building

Verizon has their magic box in the basement and that is connected to a pfsense router that keeps crashing. I want this replaced with a pre built unit. Then it goes into a 16 port switch that wires every room but the attic with cat5e. The main Wifi comes from a linksys 1900ac WRT in the middle of the house on the second floor. Wifi in the garage comes from a junk wireless n router from a room up top of the garage on the second floor.

We have about 20 devices ranging uses from emails, turtle coin mining, 4k Netflix and server remote connections.  

I would like 5ghz wifi throughout the house and into the garage under one SSID so I don't have to choose what router to be on when in different parts of the house.

Should I get a few of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-802-11ac-Dual-Radio-UAP-AC-PRO-US/dp/B015PRO512/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518892216&sr=8-3&keywords=ubiquity+wireless+access+point&dpID=31zGaGUPhaL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Untitled.png

2448893486888134341.jpg

7992954041303245365.jpg

8570827132683591195.jpg

I think you got the right idea for AP's. Id probably just re-purpose what ever of the routers you currently have as the main router coming in, maybe slap DDWRT on it if you want to make it more feature rich. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Yeah, I can recommend the Ubiquiti AC-Pro APs. However, if you want the roaming between APs to be smoother, I would recommend running the UniFi controller on something 24/7 (not required, but it's pretty cool / can help with hand off.

I have two AC Pros in my 1200 SQ FT house (plan to run a third for the lolz later). I run UniFi controller on my storage server. I've never had any issues with roaming between points.

I would say to also use one of those Linksys routers as the main. Or get a Edgerouter 4 or Lite. There' also the Ubiqitui USG if you want to stay all UniFi. The USG-Pro...some units have issues so I can't really recommend it (I had one go bad myself and I'm saving up for a Edgerouter 4).