Remote Usb Power Switch?

Palmee

Hey guys, I'm thinking about what to do with a Product i got. The Product is a dock for my Nintendo switch dock that has changable plates that are light up by leds.

Well the product does what its intented to do but as lazy as I am I always have to walk up to my dock to power it on or off by pressing a button and I want to change that.

It gets powered on via a micro usb->usb 2.0 cable. So i have it connected to the usb Port on my Nintendo switch dock.

Now my question is if there is a Product to remotely cut the power that goes from the switch dock to the light dock? 

My thought was that I would have a remote control or just a switch that would allow me to cut the power that goes to the light dock.

The ideal way for me would be to always have power to the original dock and have some sort of remote interception between the orig. dock and the light up dock.

It seems unnecessary but its really annoying to turn it off at daytime or when i leave and turn it on at evening.

Maybe someone has an idea what I could do.

interesting idea, i want to know too

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

13 hours ago, Pangea2017 said:

cut the cable and add Sonoff 5v to it ($5 from china). https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-sv.html

So I cut open a USB cable and solder the part from the Dock to the inputs and then the part from the light Dock to the output? Do I need anything more or can I then start it with my phone? 

6 hours ago, Pangea2017 said:

The part from the dock is your power input. The powerout goes to the light.

The Black and Red wire are your power line. The white and green is data which you don't need. If you have problem to remove the isolation you can try burning it down.

After you did this install the app/connect it with you smart home speaker you can control it.

The Serial connection (RX, TX) is nothing you need to touch for this project.

OK nice I will try that out . So it can be used via app or smart speaker if its supported.