Is it 500W enough for an i7-8700k, 970,8gb Ram...

Mcducken
21 minutes ago, Mcducken said:

The warranty is finished, I’m thinking in buying this one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148058&FM=1 is it okay? 

Not at all. You have an 8700K, you can afford a decent PSU. Much better paying a bit more, than replacing it all the time, out having it kill all the other components

:)

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Not at all. You have an 8700K, you can afford a decent PSU. Much better paying a bit more, than replacing it all the time, out having it kill all the other components

Which one would you recomend me ? I would be glad to be good recommended uwu 

30 minutes ago, Mcducken said:

The warranty is finished, I’m thinking in buying this one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148058&FM=1 is it okay? 

Why would you want such garbage that can kill your PC?!

I don't understand that...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 minutes ago, Mcducken said:

Which one would you recomend me ? I would be glad to be good recommended uwu 

I have already. If you ask for recommendations, I suggest you read them

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Why would you want such garbage that can kill your PC?!

I don't understand that...

Would you recommend me a good one sir? Please take in count my little budget 

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

I have already. If you ask for recommendations, I suggest you read them

Oh sorry, I didn’t understand, I thought that I was something else, thanks ! 

The CX500 is enough and if it blows up, the chances are very slim it's going to damage any of your components.

That said, if it's old enough to where the warranty is up, it probably isn't long for this world.

That Apevia is shit.  You could douse that CX500 in water and STILL have a better power supply than that time bomb.

How is it you have a $350 CPU, a $300 graphics card, and aren't willing to pay $80 for a PSU?

Sounds like your priorities are a little messed up.

EDIT (Didn't realize there was a page 2)

@Mcducken  Don't buy a refurbished PSU with a 1 year warranty when you can get a new one with a 10 year warranty.  

Almost everyone in this thread is trying to give you sound advice and you're ignoring it.  If you have no budget left... well... you should have asked the question BEFORE you bought your CPU and GPU.

You get what you pay for.  If you don't have the money.  Sell something.

4 hours ago, Almostbauws said:

Tier 3 out of 7 sounds good enough for me.

It's tier 4 on the list. The tier 3 unit is substantially better and is held back by fan selection while the old CX is group-regulated and not very good by today's standards.

5 hours ago, Mcducken said:

Hi, I don’t know if I have to buy another psu or keep using the one that I have. I’ve been searching information on internet about it, and some people say that I have to buy a better one, however other people that seem very wise about the topic say that it is just perfect. I’m not buying another psu because I don’t have enough money. I’m using this opportunity of having vacations in The United States for upgrading my pc because in Chile the country where I live the hardware is too expensive :(. Please help and sorry about my English.  

My current psu : Corsair CX500 - 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply

For a 970 and 8700K it's definitely not ideal. You can run it for sure but it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it with a more modern PSU. However, you say you "don't have enough money" and can clearly afford an 8700K. Why can you not get a Ryzen 5 1600 or 8600K instead? 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

It's tier 4 on the list. The tier 3 unit is substantially better and is held back by fan selection while the old CX is group-regulated and not very good by today's standards.

Think the CX green is tier 5, and CXM green is tier 4?

2 hours ago, Mcducken said:

I’m going to pick this one https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16817139190 , but I don’t know if that the psu is refurbished matter 

It likely means Corsair has had it sent in for RMA, fixed a fan or failed solder, then, because the item is technically used and has been tampered with and repaired, they slap a one-year warranty on it. That PSU normally has a 7-year warranty.

How come you can afford a CPU that's probably wildly overkill for whatever you plan to use it for but cannot afford a PSU to power your system for like $80 USD?

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Think the CX green is tier 5, and CXM green is tier 4?

Yes, he has a CX500M I believe.

16 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

It likely means Corsair has had it sent in for RMA, fixed a fan or failed solder, then, because the item is technically used and has been tampered with and repaired, they slap a one-year warranty on it. That PSU normally has a 7-year warranty.

How come you can afford a CPU that's probably wildly overkill for whatever you plan to use it for but cannot afford a PSU to power your system for like $80 USD?

Nope.  Since most returns are "buyer's remorse", they just test the PSUs on a load tester, make sure it passes, listen to see if the fan is rattling or something, and reboxes it.

If the PSU is dead, it's scrapped.  If the fan rattles, it's scrapped.  Etc.

A better term for "refurbished" would be "certified pre-owned".

There's a good chance that the "refurbished" unit may have coil whine and that is why it was returned because most coil whine only happens at certain loads and at certain frequencies, many people can't even hear it when it is present.

It's believed to cost too much to properly rebuild a PSU.  I disagree as we used to do it at BFG and once you have a good line setup is pretty quick and cheap.

15 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Nope.  Since most returns are "buyer's remorse", they just test the PSUs on a load tester, make sure it passes, listen to see if the fan is rattling or something, and reboxes it.

If the PSU is dead, it's scrapped.  If the fan rattles, it's scrapped.  Etc.

A better term for "refurbished" would be "certified pre-owned".

There's a good chance that the "refurbished" unit may have coil whine and that is why it was returned because most coil whine only happens at certain loads and at certain frequencies, many people can't even hear it when it is present.

It's believed to cost too much to properly rebuild a PSU.  I disagree as we used to do it at BFG and once you have a good line setup is pretty quick and cheap.

Ah, well thank you for that! Ya learn something new every day.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

How is it you have a $350 CPU, a $300 graphics card, and aren't willing to pay $80 for a PSU?

Remember the old K7 days??
When people bought Codegen PSU, reused their old Pentium (III) Heatsink and used "NoName" Memory and wondered why their system didn't work reliably?

And sadly those people also flamed AMD for their incompetence...

Seems like he has to learn the hard way that cheap PSU aren't cheap at all...

PS: And remember that a PSU doesn't do any FPS, so it is irrelevant...

15 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Remember the old K7 days??
When people bought Codegen PSU, reused their old Pentium (III) Heatsink and used "NoName" Memory and wondered why their system didn't work reliably?

And sadly those people also flamed AMD for their incompetence...

Seems like he has to learn the hard way that cheap PSU aren't cheap at all...

PS: And remember that a PSU doesn't do any FPS, so it is irrelevant...

Yes.  That's why I started reviewing PSUs 15 years ago.  I worked RMA at an etailer and people kept returning perfectly good components that they were powering with shitty power supplies.

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Im going to explain you my plan because I think that I look like a madman buying a time bomb. 

First, I going to have an i7-8700k with a 970 because I sold my i5-6500 in Chile in order to can afford that cpu, I’m looking forward to buy a better gpu, but nowadays they got too expensive :(. Also the reason why I’m buying a i7-8700k is because the combo (motherboard+cpu) just costs 441usd instead in Chile it costs 700 usd. 

Second, I’m having problems buying a good psu because of the taxes that newegg add me for being in the state of California just killed me. My best friend is going to try selling my psu in Chile, anyway I won’t have a big budged for a good psu. Lord, I really wish having just a bit bit  more money! Ps: I already have the 970 in Chile, I’m just upgrading my cpu. 

6 minutes ago, Mcducken said:

Im going to explain you my plan because I think that I look like a madman buying a time bomb. 

First, I going to have an i7-8700k with a 970 because I sold my i5-6500 in Chile in order to can afford that cpu, I’m looking forward to buy a better gpu, but nowadays they got too expensive :(. Also the reason why I’m buying a i7-8700k is because the combo (motherboard+cpu) just costs 441usd instead in Chile it costs 700 usd. 

Second, I’m having problems buying a good psu because of the taxes that newegg add me for being in the state of California just killed me. My best friend is going to try selling my psu in Chile, anyway I won’t have a big budged for a good psu. Lord, I really wish having just a bit bit  more money! Ps: I already have the 970 in Chile, I’m just upgrading my cpu. 

Well, in your case you're going to have to save up unless you're willing to risk having only one year of warranty on that RMx.

I wish have more time, I wish I have money or a job. I’m just a student in a third world country. Those are my savings and I don’t want to miss this opportunity of buying a n i7-8700k in that ridiculous price (yes, for my country that price is very very good)  even though, I could not use my pc in Chile for moths  for saving money to buy a good psu! I’m here asking for help for a reason. 

Guys please, could you help me to find the best option for me? A psu not expensive, but a psu in which I can trust on. I don’t know much about psus :( I found information, but it is not solid. 

Here is what I would do op. I would visit a nice psu calculator site. See about where you are and then pick out a gpu where your usage is about 75% of what it can do.

This means you will operate in the power supplies sweet spot, give yourself headroom, and not overwork the power supply.

6 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Here is what I would do op. I would visit a nice psu calculator site. See about where you are and then pick out a gpu where your usage is about 75% of what it can do.

This means you will operate in the power supplies sweet spot, give yourself headroom, and not overwork the power supply.

Wrong. 

A 550w will do him just fine.  We're just trying to talk him out of a shitty one. 

2 hours ago, Mcducken said:

I wish have more time, I wish I have money or a job. I’m just a student in a third world country. Those are my savings and I don’t want to miss this opportunity of buying a n i7-8700k in that ridiculous price (yes, for my country that price is very very good)  even though, I could not use my pc in Chile for moths  for saving money to buy a good psu! I’m here asking for help for a reason. 

Guys please, could you help me to find the best option for me? A psu not expensive, but a psu in which I can trust on. I don’t know much about psus :( I found information, but it is not solid. 

Buy a cheaper CPU/GPU combo and a new RM550x.  

57 minutes ago, Mcducken said:

Hi, is this one ( https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096&ignorebbr=1 )

a good option? It seems that have everything

No its not.

Why don't you listen?!
There aren't that many good quality PSU for not too much money on the market. You can count the good ones on one hand in the Bronze area.

So you have two options:
a) get a cheaper CPU/Board and a good PSU and have fun with it for many years

b) Get the 8700k, cheap out on the PSU, be unsatisfied with the system because it crashes all the time, the PSU is loud as a lawnmower and you loose all the hardware after the warranty is over...

You don't seem to want to grasp the importance of a good PSU with independent voltage regulation...

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

No, just no!

A 450W Bitfenix Formula is a way better choice than a 630/650W Thermaltake Bronze one. And those calculators are bullshit and totally useless.

Everyone who knows how to use google can guess the values within minutes, you don't need some shitty database that outright lies about the consumption of the PC!

I've tried Outervision PSU Calculator with my i7-3930K, RX480, couple of other stuff I've measured. And with prime and heaven I'm barely able to push the primary consumption to around 400W (with a 400W Pure Power L10 CM) - and that's the primary consumption!

And around 87% Efficiency or so (230VAC/50Hz)...

And with other (Gold/Platinum) PSU I get something around 350-370W in the same situation.

Outervision tells something about 519W PSU Wattage, 469W consumption and something about 9,7A on 3,3V and 8.6A on +5V.

I've never seen such high amperage on minor rails with my Corsair HX750i - the best I could do was around 7A or so on 3,3V - with my LGA1366 system. That X79 thing was around 2,5-3A or so, 4-5A at worst. Nowhere near the guestimate...

So forget those things, they are far from the reality...

So that thing is at least 100W off in this case. And the reocommendation is rather bad.