Is it 500W enough for an i7-8700k, 970,8gb Ram...

Mcducken

Hi, I don’t know if I have to buy another psu or keep using the one that I have. I’ve been searching information on internet about it, and some people say that I have to buy a better one, however other people that seem very wise about the topic say that it is just perfect. I’m not buying another psu because I don’t have enough money. I’m using this opportunity of having vacations in The United States for upgrading my pc because in Chile the country where I live the hardware is too expensive :(. Please help and sorry about my English.  

My current psu : Corsair CX500 - 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply

At least tell us which PSU you have.

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

Depends on the quality oif the psu. What is your PSU?

Is it rated continous 500watts, or Peak 500 watts?

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

At least tell us which PSU you have.

Sorry about that “Corsair CX500 - 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply”

1 minute ago, Mcducken said:

Sorry about that “Corsair CX500 - 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply”

not the best out there but you can keep it for a while. Next thing to upgrase on the lost would be psu defo

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

I would replace that PSU, considering you have fairly expensive components

but 500w with those should be fairly good, a good 550W will take those on no issues 

i AM A TASTY NUUUUUB!!!!! 

2 minutes ago, Ellyroo said:

I would replace that PSU, considering you have fairly expensive components

but 500w with those should be fairly good, a good 550W will take those on no issues 

Am I risking my components? Because I usually play a lot, sometimes for 5-8 hours in a roll 

10 minutes ago, Mcducken said:

Corsair is good, i have a cx500m myself. Just asked because you didnt bother to give us any information at first, so i had to assume that you have some scetchy 500w 10 dollar chinease psu.

Just now, Almostbauws said:

Corsair is good, i have a cx500m myself. Just asked because you didnt bother to give us any information at first, so i had to assume that you have some scetchy 500w 10 dollar chinease psu.

Every brand is equally capable of selling crap, Corsair is no exception. The CX500M is not good. 

Having a PSU does in not way make you qualified to say anything about the PSU model. Unless you have a load tester, oscilloscope, etc. 

:)

haha so, would you recomend me to keep my current psu? Do you think that something bad could happen?

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Every brand is equally capable of selling crap, Corsair is no exception. The CX500M is not good. 

Having a PSU does in not way make you qualified to say anything about the PSU model. Unless you have a load tester, oscilloscope, etc. 

What would you recommend me then?

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Look on the psu tier list. Cx500 and 500m are located there.

4 minutes ago, Mcducken said:

haha so, would you recomend me to keep my current psu? Do you think that something bad could happen?

What color is the label on your psu? Green or black?

Look on the psu tier list. Cx500 and 500m are located there.

Being in the tier list does not make it good. 

1 minute ago, Almostbauws said:

What color is the label on your psu? Green or black?

Green, why? owo

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Tier 3 out of 7 sounds good enough for me.

3 minutes ago, Mcducken said:

Green, why? owo

Green color cx500 has bad internals.

"The CX 500 however is known for falling on its face when pushed. It might work fine, it might fail on you. The good news is its not a fire hazard power supply, so it will likely just crash the computer."

Maybe it would be a good idea to get it replaced...

1 minute ago, Almostbauws said:

Green color cx500 has bad internals.

"The CX 500 however is known for falling on its face when pushed. It might work fine, it might fail on you. The good news is its not a fire hazard power supply, so it will likely just crash the computer."

Maybe it would be a good idea to get it replaced...

Yes, thanks bro! 

29 minutes ago, Mcducken said:

Hi, I don’t know if I have to buy another psu or keep using the one that I have. I’ve been searching information on internet about it, and some people say that I have to buy a better one, however other people that seem very wise about the topic say that it is just perfect. I’m not buying another psu because I don’t have enough money. I’m using this opportunity of having vacations in The United States for upgrading my pc because in Chile the country where I live the hardware is too expensive :(. Please help and sorry about my English.  

My current psu : Corsair CX500 - 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply

The answer is yes. it is enough.

However, this power supply is not "the best" and it might not have all the connectors you need. If I were going out and buying an 8700k for a new build, I would probably go with some 600w or more, with gold efficiency or better.

As for whether or not it could harm your system, it is extremely unlikely. This has always been a possiblity with any power supply, but given that you have used it before, it likely will have no issues, and won't cause any issues with a new system.

the only thing you really need to do first, is make sure the power supply has all the connectors you will need. like an 8 pin cpu connector (It more than likely does) and 2 6/8 pin pcie power connectors (It should have at least 1).

In the future, it might be a wise idea to upgrade, but your system will be fine running on that power supply for now.

8 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Yeah his cx500 is green label, which is pretty terrible and very far down on the list, in the terrible section. He should get it replaced.

8 minutes ago, J400 said:

The answer is yes. it is enough.

However, this power supply is not "the best" and it might not have all the connectors you need. If I were going out and buying an 8700k for a new build, I would probably go with some 600w or more, with gold efficiency or better.

As for whether or not it could harm your system, it is extremely unlikely. This has always been a possiblity with any power supply, but given that you have used it before, it likely will have no issues, and won't cause any issues with a new system.

the only thing you really need to do first, is make sure the power supply has all the connectors you will need. like an 8 pin cpu connector (It more than likely does) and 2 6/8 pin pcie power connectors (It should have at least 1).

In the future, it might be a wise idea to upgrade, but your system will be fine running on that power supply for now.

It has all the connectors that I need, but its label is green.

“Green color cx500 has bad internals.

The CX 500 however is known for falling on its face when pushed. It might work fine, it might fail on you. The good news is its not a fire hazard power supply, so it will likely just crash the computer.”

So I’m afraid of keeping the psu, also I play a lot and the new components are going to push it up.

What would you recommend me friend?

40 minutes ago, Mcducken said:

What would you recommend me then?

The G2/G3, RMx, Straight Power 11 and Focus Plus Gold are good units. 550W is plenty.

Use the PSU until the warranty runs out, it's fine until then

Edited by seon123
Something something

30 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

Yeah his cx500 is green label, which is pretty terrible and very far down on the list, in the terrible section. He should get it replaced.

Not if it's still within the warranty period. Not very good, but not a fire hazard either