New Build - interested in any kind of help

asnith

Hello,

I don't know where to begin but a little intro may be useful. So i'm really into computers and gaming but I don't have the most experience in building them with parts I've picked, that sounds odd but I have pulled computers apart and built some for friends who had a pre-made list of compatible components. I know enough to get by but I need help with knowing what will work at a certain budget. This would be around 600$, there isn't much leeway but if something is necessary I don't see a problem with trying to make it fit or go over the budget a little. (An early note is that I already have a gpu) The entire goal with this build is a nice gaming pc that could possibly stream or record as well. I am not looking for 4k quality on everything or crazy specs. I am just interested in decent quality, I would rather have this for gaming than streaming or recording but want to keep those in mind. I hope that we can find parts that are compatible and in the budget and also can get something that meets the expectations of what I am looking for. 

(I can post my current build if that's something that anyone would like to know)

Things that I already have and don't need to worry about:

GPU - GTX 1060 6gb (full size)

Keyboard, Mouse, and Monitor (lg 24m47h-p, may get another)

OS - Windows 10

The build I am aiming for:

Ryzen 5 1600X
Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB (I already own this so I do not include this in the price of the final build)
Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016)
HyperX Fury DDR4 2666 C15 2x8GB
Asus PRIME B350-PLUS
EVGA 550W B3, 80+
ROSEWILL ATX Case

My thoughts:

The first thing I want to be sure about is the motherboard. I am debating between the Asus Prime B350 or MSI B350 Tomahawk. I am unsure what one would be better as doing research has only led me to believe both have their ups and downs (however the Tomahawk is cheaper). 

After the motherboard I need to know what CPU. I am looking at the Ryzen 5 1600X, but if it doesn't hurt to go to a lower version that would be cool.

The next thing I would like to do is of course get a bigger SSD in it. However I can live with a 120GB because having my OS on it and maybe my most played games will be just fine. 

The last thing I am worried about is the power supply. If that one isn't big enough or could be upgraded that would be cool.

So all that I am looking for would be suggestions to the build like changes or upgrades. I appreciate anyone's time they put into helping. 

get a CX450/M or pure power 10 instead, the EVGA B3 has issues with overpower protection. get a 1600 and use the money for a 240gb ssd. the asus motherboard is better, has better VRMs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

When are you building? What country? What budget?

R5 1600/2600 would be better, change PSU since it has broken OPP to CM MasterWatt or CX450M or Pure Power 10, ASUS is better, 240GB SSD please

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Asus is an excellent brand to go with for a motherboard.  Almost every computer I've built over the past 15 years has been asus or asrock.  I messed around with my friends msi x99 uefi and didn't find it as inviting.  If you aren't going to overclock then I would weigh asus and MSI equally.  Still Asus has proven strong every single time I have used it, and I mean every single time.  Builds for myself and friends, it never fails.  ASrock has only failed me once with my x99 build about 2 years ago when it would reset and post to uefi after any change.  I'm sure this could have waited for a bios update however I returned it for an Asus.

As for SSD I would say that you shouldn't expect to put much more than a game or MAYBE two on it before being full, that is with current game sizes.  However this is a very simple upgrade in the future.  All you need to do is add a second identical ssd in the future and go raid 0 (finding identical can be a wrench in the works at times).  Going raid 0 would require a fresh install or an image to the 1tb drive then passing back to the array.  That or have a second ssd for games, both will get the job done well.

CPU: ryzen 1600 vs 1600x is going to come down to two sides.  First is stock speeds, the 1600x will provide better stock speeds.  The second would be overclocking.  The 1600x will provide a better silicone lottery, that is temps per clock or overall speeds acquired.  You didn't mention a cooling solution so I would assume splitting the difference on stock cooling.

For PSU I would say that you have a solid selection, corsair has a PR issue and I have had one problem with them, though I have used a few of them.  And I can say that any issue, should you be able to diagnose the issue, corsair leaves you with one of the best customer support systems in the industry.  EVGA supplies are regarded highly and I've only used two or three in generic systems but no issues.  I have an antec on my main rig and love it.  Just got a seasonic on my mining rig and it's working well for a month or two.  Excellent RMA and customer support can NOT be underestimated.

A lot of what I use is based on PR other than Asus and that's tested and true.  Corsair is proven customer support.  And I have an Antec psu that lasted for well over a decade and got phased out far before it gave a hiccup, the new one is solid as a rock with maybe 3 years of use.

I tend to go with brand over anything, I know that psu manufacturers can vary and ram manufacturers use various sticks. (gskill has excellent documentation so you know what you are getting)

And on the note of memory, the biggest improvement you'll get on Ryzen is memory, or so I hear.  I would suggest at least 3200 and can't stress more than anything to get something on the qualified vendor list, or go with something that has been used by another member and they can vouch for.  Even my gskill OC capable sticks wouldn't run above 2400 on my z270 for some time until Asus got the code updated in the bios, now it'll run xmp no problem.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

11 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

get a CX450/M or pure power 10 instead, the EVGA B3 has issues with overpower protection. get a 1600 and use the money for a 240gb ssd. the asus motherboard is better, has better VRMs.

Thanks for the input, after going through some other responses I'll see what everything comes down to. I appreciate it :)

11 hours ago, JDE said:

When are you building? What country? What budget?

R5 1600/2600 would be better, change PSU since it has broken OPP to CM MasterWatt or CX450M or Pure Power 10, ASUS is better, 240GB SSD please

I planned on building this when I could get the money around (I just like to plan ahead you know?), if this means taking time then I am fine with that but I don't think it would be longer than a year. The country is US and budget is around 600$ but I don't mind putting in some leeway to make things work.

@Psittac Thank you for all the feedback as well. I don't think I want to get into overclocking because I don't have any experience with that. I will most likely change the SSD to a 240GB (or if there's deals going on I may try to look for bigger). I totally forgot to include a cooling solution but I am thinking something like a Cryorig H7 if I am going to not use stock cooling.

6 minutes ago, asnith said:

Thanks for the input, after going through some other responses I'll see what everything comes down to. I appreciate it :)

I planned on building this when I could get the money around (I just like to plan ahead you know?), if this means taking time then I am fine with that but I don't think it would be longer than a year. The country is US and budget is around 600$ but I don't mind putting in some leeway to make things work.

I'll make a better list in a second.

Ryzen 5 2600 comes out in April so hopefully you will have the cash by then. If it goes past summer, CannonLake/Ice Lake will probably be out by that time

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I wonder how much better Ice Lake will be when it does come out. Will it be the usual 3-5% improvement, or since Ryzen's launch and its APU's maybe they will make the jump a bit higher, say 8% improvement.