AMD sending out free CPUs (that you must return) to those who can't get the new 2400G and 2200G working without a BIOS update

Skanky Sylveon
4 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Or, another idea:  How about the motherboard makers sending updated BIOS chips?  I don't know about all motherboards, but it looks like my Z97 board has dual socketed BIOS chips. :)

You can also reprogram those chips with hardware of your own.  

For those of you with socketed chips but no desire to program chips, you can order preprogrammed ones from sellers on eBay and the like:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BIOS-CHIP-ASROCK-Z97-Extreme6/381592180944?hash=item58d8aa98d0:g:LWUAAOSwFqJWoyKu

5 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Had a few thoughts while I was reading this thread.

What about coming up with a very low-power cheap CPU?  I'm thinking something that would have a retail value under $5-10 or so, and, the main reason for this idea: a low-enough TDP (like 1-2 watts) to not need a heatsink or heatspreader at all even in a warm (40°C/104°F) room.

It might only do like 20 or less in Cinebench R15 and 150 in Ice Storm Unlimited (if it even supported the necessary instructions), but shouldn't that be enough to flash a BIOS?

I'm certain it isn't feasible economically. Even a cheap CPU would require R&D including tape-out. I suspect the cost is astronomical compared to the retail value. I suspect it's cheaper to do what they do now and if the need arises again have their channels be more proactive about selling updated boards to customers.

This is the reason why AMD is mostly popular with DIY tinkerers while Intel is the mainstream manufacturer, this is also the reason why having new socket each generation is a good thing because it forces motherboard manufacturers to release compatible motherboards.What will happen with all the motherboards on the market once Zen 2 and Zen 3 CPUs come out?How will people flash all these motherboards?Some people even had trouble with the CURRENT GENERATION because motherboards didn't support r3 and r5 CPUs.

I don't like this move as much. It's nice, but I think it makes more sense if AMD had collaborated with retail stores to get them to offer the flashing service to customers for free, through an incentive of sorts. Otherwise people are on their honor to return this CPU though AMD could deny warranty to anyone who didn't.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

On 2/17/2018 at 6:00 AM, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Or, another idea:  How about the motherboard makers sending updated BIOS chips?  I don't know about all motherboards, but it looks like my Z97 board has dual socketed BIOS chips.

That may work for ASRock and Asus boards, but I know for certain that Gigabyte boards have soldered BIOS chips, and I'm pretty sure MSI does as well.