Two thin clients, One GPU.

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
1 minute ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

Proxmox?

proxmox is debian with kvm+lxc containers with a nice web gui. Good hypervisor and its free.

NVIDIA GTX 960 + Windows 10 Pro (with multiple RDP sessions) = Nvidia tesla gamestream home server?

I am going to take some computer science next year and I'm curious of whether or not I can make my future work available to everyone.

By that I mean that one of my future projects involve just taking a single GPU and letting it do all of the work for the thin clients. 

How do I propose this idea?  Basically, the idea is to make it so that I can take advantage of the H.264 encoder of the gpu to stream all of the RDP sessions to all of the thin clients whether they might be linux based, mac based or even a shittier windows vista-based computer.  Laptop, tablet, or desktop or even HTPC.

I know I will need to do some registry hacks in windows, but would I also need to try and see if I need to modify the software so that windows will force the nvidia gpu to mandatorily use it's built-in H.264 encoder for all thin clients as well.   

I wouldn't mind buying individual GPUs for each vm if that would be the case but still this solution would be better suited. 

3 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

I wouldn't mind buying individual GPUs for each vm if that would be the case but still this solution would be better suited. 

i think you HAVE to buy a GPU for each VM because AFAIK the built in NVENC h264 encoder can only do ONE stream at a time - that is on GTX cards - dunno if titan or quadro cards can do more than one stream simultaneously.

3 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

i think you HAVE to buy a GPU for each VM because AFAIK the built in NVENC h264 encoder can only do ONE stream at a time - that is on GTX cards - dunno if titan or quadro cards can do more than one stream simultaneously.

hmmmm... fuck. 

Well, it was a good idea though.

Now that I think about it, if I wanted to use multiple OS's at once, should I go with an Unraid host or should I go with a regular ubuntu linux host?

2 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

hmmmm... fuck. 

Well, it was a good idea though.

Now that I think about it, if I wanted to use multiple OS's at once, should I go with an Unraid host or should I go with a regular ubuntu linux host?

Unraid is slackware + their pooling software + kvm for vms.

If you want to get into vms id use proxmox if you want a gui, esxi if you want the industry standard, or kvm+ fav distro(ubuntu is fine) if you like diving into linux.

Also if you want to split a gpu for vms you need a grid or supported tesla card with a support hypervisor(xen, esxi, kvm with some configuration)

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Unraid is slackware + their pooling software + kvm for vms.

If you want to get into vms id use proxmox if you want a gui, esxi if you want the industry standard, or kvm+ fav distro(ubuntu is fine) if you like diving into linux.

Proxmox?

1 minute ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

Proxmox?

proxmox is debian with kvm+lxc containers with a nice web gui. Good hypervisor and its free.

Ah, alright. :)

Does it also support VM Nesting?

Just now, Ripmin-PSN said:

Ah, alright. :)

Does it also support VM Nesting?

You can, but why? You should basically never do this, and if you want hardware accerlated vm's it can be unstable.

You can, but why? You should basically never do this, and if you want hardware accerlated vm's it can be unstable.

I ask because I could troll microsoft scammers when I feel like to. :3 

Besides, who doesn't want to piss off a scammer?  xD

2 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

I ask because I could troll microsoft scammers when I feel like to. :3 

Besides, who doesn't want to piss off a scammer?  xD

If you want to troll a scammer, just use one vm, no need for nesting. That won't help you here.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you want to troll a scammer, just use one vm, no need for nesting. That won't help you here.

ok. :)

If I were to use proxmox, are there any personal notes that I should make of it so that I know what steps I can take to get around it?

Things like glitches and bugs or how the filesystem is managed... that kind of thing. 

Just now, Ripmin-PSN said:

ok. :)

If I were to use proxmox, are there any personal notes that I should make of it so that I know what steps I can take to get around it?

Things like glitches and bugs or how the filesystem is managed... that kind of thing. 

What hardware are you running? what storage setup?

Get as much ram as you can.

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What hardware are you running? what storage setup?

Get as much ram as you can.

The thing is I'm using my laptop, but I am saving up a bare minimum of 700 dollars and it would be better if I got to 1200 dollars instead so I can buy the hardware that will be capable of said purpose:  Virtualization palace.  Or a computer running multiple operating systems.

3 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

The thing is I'm using my laptop, but I am saving up a bare minimum of 700 dollars and it would be better if I got to 1200 dollars instead so I can buy the hardware that will be capable of said purpose:  Virtualization palace.  Or a computer running multiple operating systems.

Id look at something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R710-12-Core-Server-16GB-RAM-2x300GB-SAS-iDRAC6-PERC6i/172918861656?hash=item2842c46f58:g:v-0AAOSwRBtZ3TPi

Add some ram aswell. 48gb is about 150 for 6x8gb dimms, and you can have 18 dimms.

That system has support for server features, fairly low power(about 120w idle). You user it over a web interface with proxmox.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id look at something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R710-12-Core-Server-16GB-RAM-2x300GB-SAS-iDRAC6-PERC6i/172918861656?hash=item2842c46f58:g:v-0AAOSwRBtZ3TPi

Add some ram aswell. 48gb is about 150 for 6x8gb dimms, and you can have 18 dimms.

That system has support for server features, fairly low power(about 120w idle). You user it over a web interface with proxmox.

Now that is a sexy server... I should name her "Betty."

Why?

She's a whole lotta computer than any other. ;P

*ahem*

Anyway, that's a good looking server.    Also, I had the intention of building the entertaining cube or an eATX case (the same one that linus used for the tear-down of the 7 (10) gamers, one cpu. 

4 hours ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

Now that is a sexy server... I should name her "Betty."

Why?

She's a whole lotta computer than any other. ;P

*ahem*

Anyway, that's a good looking server.    Also, I had the intention of building the entertaining cube or an eATX case (the same one that linus used for the tear-down of the 7 (10) gamers, one cpu. 

You can get a tower version called a t610 thats a normal desktop tower if you want that. Both use the same cpu's but the r710 is cheaper as there more common. Atx parts will normally cost more.