No video output, computer restarts after 20 seconds and stays on. Tested everything I can think of!

Go to solution Solved by Brocketeer,
On 18/02/2018 at 8:53 PM, Doomerson said:

So strange.... how did you get in touch with Intel?

So the problem has been solved. Intel agreed with my diagnosis and sent me a new cpu. I put it in yesterday and everything works great! 

Here's the system: 
- i5 4690k overclocked to 4.5ghz
- gigabyte ga-z97x-gaming 5
- hyper 212 evo
- 16 gb ddr3 ram 2133mhz (4x4gb)
- asus strix gtx 970
- Samsung evo 850 250gb ssd
- wd caviar black 1tb hdd
- corsair cx600

I've had this pc for two years and haven't had any issues until now. The problem started two weeks ago. I printed something, and went back 10 minutes later to print something else. The computer was off, which was strange. I turned it on and it began a cycle of appearing to turn on, then restarting every 5 seconds until I turned off the power supply or held the power button for 5 seconds. During this, nothing came up on the monitor. I tested all the ram by putting various single sticks in A1 or B1, tested the power supply with my multimeter. I took out the gpu and tried the motherboard outputs (dvi, hdmi, displayport, vga) and got nothing - the same ~5 second cycle with no video. Based on this info, I sent my motherboard back to gigabyte for repair/replacement (still on warranty till Nov 2018). 

I ordered a cheap asus b85m-e micro atx board since I didn't know how long it would take. When I received it, I breadboarded it with just the cpu, cpu fan, psu, and ram. My case doesn't have a speaker, so I bought a buzzer from a local repair shop so I could hear if it's posting. When I turned it on, there was no video, and after 20 seconds the cpu and psu fan turned off for 5 seconds (just enough time to spin down to stopped) then restarted and stayed on - still no video. These results were repeated over a dozen times in various configurations (no ram, 1 stick ram, gpu). During all of this, there were no post beeps. I tested the buzzer I bought with 4.5 volts of batteries and it did work. I brought everything to the repair shop where I bought the buzzer. They breadboarded it there using their psu and ram and got the exact same results. They thought maybe it needed a bios update to support my cpu, but I confirmed with asus tech support that the bios version on the board supported my cpu. 

I assumed I got a dead motherboard, so I ordered an ASRock z97 board. I tested it today and got the exact same result as the asus b85m-e.

-max cpu temp was never over 80 when stress testing with prime95 small fft. Vcore max was 1.295 volts 
-I always use an anti-static wrist band when working on it. 

I have gone through this list with both the asus and ASRock:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

So, what could be the problem? CPU? That's kinda what I'm down to...

Does it run without OC?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

do you have access to another lga 1150 cpu? maybe a cheap second hand one or something to rule out the cpu, or maybe different ram to rule that out. Good luck.

@bob51zhang I cleared the cmos, so that would have reset the OC back to stock. No difference after. 

@bilal2k7 I don't have a spare 1150, and even the repair shop I went to didn't have one because "they are so old"... I laughed a little inside, but whatever. They did, however,  use their own ram stick and psu when testing and had the same result, so I know it's not the ram or psu. They also used an old pci express video card in addition to trying the onboard video. 

I'll try to track down a compatible cpu and test it, but considering its not the motherboard, ram, or power supply, it's gotta be the cpu, right? 

@Brocketeer Not sure how much you want to invest in it, but you could spend like $30 to get a new 4th gen CPU. link

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

10 hours ago, Brocketeer said:

-cut-

Check to make sure your boot priorities in BIOS are correct.
Also have you tried a fresh install of Windows? Or you can't even get anything to display?

Also it does sound to me like it may actually be the CPU but I don't know for sure. Please let us know when you figure it out.

@Doomerson I can't even get to the bios. No video at all. I've started a warranty request with intel. We'll see where it goes. I may also try to find a computer repair shop that has a 1150 socket cpu and test it out. 

1 hour ago, Brocketeer said:

@Doomerson I can't even get to the bios. No video at all. I've started a warranty request with intel. We'll see where it goes. I may also try to find a computer repair shop that has a 1150 socket cpu and test it out. 

I assume you've used both different monitors AND cables? How about different standards of cables?

5 hours ago, Doomerson said:

I assume you've used both different monitors AND cables? How about different standards of cables?

Yes, I've tried my tv as well, and I've used the monitor with my PS4 with no problems, so I know it's not the monitor. I've tried multiple hdmi cables, but I only have one of each - dvi, vga, and displayport. 

11 hours ago, Brocketeer said:

Yes, I've tried my tv as well, and I've used the monitor with my PS4 with no problems, so I know it's not the monitor. I've tried multiple hdmi cables, but I only have one of each - dvi, vga, and displayport. 

Strangely enough, I don't know what else it would be asides from the processor, have you tried one of each RAM sticks? instead of both?

7 hours ago, Doomerson said:

Strangely enough, I don't know what else it would be asides from the processor, have you tried one of each RAM sticks? instead of both?

Yes, plus the repair shop used their own ram stick. 

4 minutes ago, Brocketeer said:

Yes, plus the repair shop used their own ram stick. 

4 hours ago, Doomerson said:

I just started an online warranty claim. I'm waiting to hear back from them. I tried calling, but they're phone system is messed up - it just disconnects me when I press 1 for English. 

On 18/02/2018 at 8:53 PM, Doomerson said:

So the problem has been solved. Intel agreed with my diagnosis and sent me a new cpu. I put it in yesterday and everything works great!