Monitor not compatible with graphics card?

kaddle

Current Build Selection: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/rWFD4q

Hello i am putting an entry level gaming pc together early next month and it will be my first time building a pc. i've been learning a lot since i began this project and i bought the MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Low Profile Video Card. i read the manual and i realized that there is a port on the graphics card that goes into the monitor. my monitor is the Acer S230HL and i don't think it's compatible.

why does the graphics card connect to the monitor? is this a necessary feature? is my monitor compatible?

they both have dvi it will work fine 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

4 minutes ago, kaddle said:

Current Build Selection: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/rWFD4q

Hello i am putting an entry level gaming pc together early next month and it will be my first time building a pc. i've been learning a lot since i began this project and i bought the MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Low Profile Video Card. i read the manual and i realized that there is a port on the graphics card that goes into the monitor. my monitor is the Acer S230HL and i don't think it's compatible.

why does the graphics card connect to the monitor? is this a necessary feature? is my monitor compatible?

It might be thinking the S230HL that you have is VGA only as there seems to be a VGA only model of that monitor (in the pictures at least). As long as yours has a DVI-D in, you're good to go. 

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/ET.VS0HP.A02

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

thanks, guys. i just looked at the back and it turns out the port i did not know the use of since i bought the monitor 4 years ago is a dvi. good thing i didn't throw the cord away lol.

any idea why the graphics card needs to connect to the monitor in the first place?

3 minutes ago, kaddle said:

thanks, guys. i just looked at the back and it turns out the port i did not know the use of since i bought the monitor 4 years ago is a dvi. good thing i didn't throw the cord away lol.

any idea why the graphics card needs to connect to the monitor in the first place?

because Ryzen 3 1200 has no video output

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

9 hours ago, kaddle said:

Uhhhhmmm... Really?

14 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Uhhhhmmm... Really?

for all of the pcs i've owned before, the monitor plugs into the motherboard. i'll be building for the first time soon.

i have another question. the dvi port on the GPU looks different than how it is on my cable. this doesn't exactly worry me because the dvi port on my monitor looks the exact same as on the GPU, and the cord came with my monitor so it must work.

msi-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-lp-4gb.jpg

41PIzkdhoQL._SX466_.jpg

i've seen pictures of dvi cords that have the matching pattern of the one on the GPU and monitor, so i started wondering about this. are there any significant differences in how it will work between those two types of dvi cords? is there any reason for the different designs?