Amazon Echo or Google Home?

Hey guys,

Really having a dilemma on which to decide. Originally wanted to go for the Echo because my brother has one and thought it was really cool, however doing some research, I'm quite torn between the two.

A little background as to why I want either of the devices. I want it for the music, smart home and personal assistant feature.

Quick point, I am in no way considering the Amazon Echo Dot nor the Google Home Mini or Max.

Here are the reasons why I'm siding with both and can't make definitive answer.

Amazon Echo:

- A lot easier to say Alexa and to me, sounds a bit, well for lack of a better word, cooler to say.

- A lot more integrations for smart home devices, especially with the Echo Plus having a smart hub built it. However I would like to add, I don't quite care that it has more smart home devices integrations, as I would only need the main ones like Philips Hue, Thermostat and possibly integration with a smart fridge in the future.

- Looks, simply to say the Amazon Echo and Amazon Echo Plus looks better than the Google Home.

- Easier to know when Alexa is listening with the blue ring activation.

- Maybe this is just in my head but the Brand of Amazon? 

- Being a prime member, availability to Amazon Music and Prime Unlimited.

- Echo model is cheaper than Google Home.

Google Home

- Uses Google search compared to Amazon's Bing.

- Smarter digital/ personal assistant with more natural conversations and actions compared to the Echo.

- Sound of the Google Home has more bass which I like.

- By a hair, more music integration, what I mean is Spotify Premium is available on Echo and Home but Spotify Free is only available on the Home. (Correct me if I am wrong, I am getting this information from an article) and also can play YouTube as well.

- Caught up in integrations to the Echo, however not quite up to par in regards of the breadth of smart home integration like the Echo. As said before, I don't quite care that it has more smart home devices integrations, as I would only need the main ones like Philips Hue, Thermostat and possibly integration with a smart fridge in the future.

- Better multi-room audio.

- Better rating of app, on the Appstore.

I would like any and all owners of either or both of the devices to provide their experience and why I should go with either one.

Thanks

i own both, and prefer my google home to my alexa, all the smart home stuff ive got links in perfectly fine with it. 

Google also has voice recognition (so multiple people can ask it about there day / calendar and it will respond appropriately)

At the end of the day, it depends on what you will be asking it. for example, i dont really ask mine much, apart from "whats the weather like" or "turn on lights" 

sometimes ill ask it random questions to setlle arguments, therefore google can be more friendly to me

I would say the echo you can also install google search to it and have both if you want being able to order stuff from amazon makes it worth it 

and if your getting a dot it has an aux port 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

Factorial, with the Google Home, what smart hub do you use to control your smart home devices? With the Echo Plus the smart bridge/ hub is built in. 

4 hours ago, HikaruHaru said:

Factorial, with the Google Home, what smart hub do you use to control your smart home devices? With the Echo Plus the smart bridge/ hub is built in. 

Use the quote feature so that @factorialandha sees that you've asked him a question.

quote.PNG.3131bf494c233b9e9751b3729e9830b2.PNG

On 2/16/2018 at 5:08 PM, HikaruHaru said:

The smart devices I use don't need a hub. You link the app login to the home. So the app I use at the moment is called smart life

16 hours ago, factorialandha said:

The smart devices I use don't need a hub. You link the app login to the home. So the app I use at the moment is called smart life

If I were to just list that I prioritize Smart Home automation and music, from those two things purely, what would you recommend? 

3 hours ago, HikaruHaru said:

If I were to just list that I prioritize Smart Home automation and music, from those two things purely, what would you recommend? 

To me the Alexa has a slightly better speaker so from a music perspective I do prefer the sound Alexa produces. So I'd probably go with that one if it's purely automation and music. However if you plan to use multiroom a lot Google would work better. Unless you go for the Sonos speakers that have Alexa built in. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have both and overall I prefer the Google products, especially because of the music abilities and multi-room audio.  Plus it gets better when you use Google Home paired with some Chromecast Audio devices for amazing sound (since you can use about any stereo/speakers).