how should I connect to an old crt tv to an hdmi laptop?

oali24
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

Hello,

I have a dell Inspiron 7000 gaming and I would like to connect it to an extrememly old lg crt tv, it only has composite output, not even component. My plan is to get an hdmi to vga converter, and than get a vga to composite converter. On ebay there are many products that have hdmi on one end of a cable and vga on the other. I am skeptical of if these work, vga being analogue and hdmi digital, do these work? Or would I have to get one with a box converter? Also if I get an hdmi to dvi adapter, would the dvi end be able to be converted to vga or would it just work with digital outputs?

Thank You,

3 minutes ago, oali24 said:

Hello,

I have a dell Inspiron 7000 gaming and I would like to connect it to an extrememly old lg crt tv, it only has composite output, not even component. My plan is to get an hdmi to vga converter, and than get a vga to composite converter. On ebay there are many products that have hdmi on one end of a cable and vga on the other. I am skeptical of if these work, vga being analogue and hdmi digital, do these work? Or would I have to get one with a box converter? Also if I get an hdmi to dvi adapter, would the dvi end be able to be converted to vga or would it just work with digital outputs?

Thank You,

I have had experience with one of these before(mini display port to vga). It works fine. Usually on the vga end, if it looks like a box around the connector, you should have higher hopes of it working.

i like trains 🙂

27 minutes ago, Implosivetech said:

I have had experience with one of these before(mini display port to vga). It works fine. Usually on the vga end, if it looks like a box around the connector, you should have higher hopes of it working.

So your saying that just a cable might work, and that it mini display port works similarly to hdmi? by the way thanks

8 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I love how the image makes it clear, without any written language, that you can't use it to convert composite to HDMI.  xD

+

> The converter is not fit for Fire Stick, Roku, mobile phone and iPad series.

> Question:  Will it work with the fire stick?

Amazon in a nutshell

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

24 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I love how the image makes it clear, without any written language, that you can't use it to convert composite to HDMI.  xD

He's not trying to convert composite to HDMI, he wants to connect an HDMI laptop to a composite CRT TV, this is the correct converter for that.

10 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

He's not trying to convert composite to HDMI, he wants to connect an HDMI laptop to a composite CRT TV, this is the correct converter for that.

I didn't say that.  ...I just love the 'idiot proof graphic'. o.O